Hardware Replacing Wii Battery

Videomanman87

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I remember correctly, the Wii takes a CR2032 for the clock. I know it is easy to replace, but does it store any other data I should backup before swapping the battery?

I have softmoded it so dumping the data shouldn't be a problem if someone could point me to the best method (if it is even necessary). I seem to recall a discussion long ago that other data was held with the battery, but of course I can't find the thread now. :)

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
https://gbatemp.net/threads/wii-motherboard-cmos-battery-removal-open-up-a-wii.549400/

Since the Wii has a 512MB NAND there is no need for battery backed SRAM for settings. Surely it won't wipe any game save data.

The GameCube used the battery for storing configuration (mostly selected language) in addition to the RTC (which means a GC with dead battery goes through the initial setup on each boot). Luckily Nintendo learned a lesson here and made the battery easy replaceable on the Wii(U): It does not require the user to get out the soldering iron for a simple battery swap.

That said, I disassembled a Wii for taking out some junk from the drive the previous owner put in there. This meant the motherboard was without its CR2032 for some minutes. Nothing visibly changed on next boot.

Good luck and have fun!

Videomanman87

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know that the Wii has NAND for most data, but I seemed to recall a discussion with something was stored with the SRAM. Might have been the bulletin board/achievements? Like I said it I can't find the thread now and my memory is a little fuzzy. Some people disagreed, others said these would get wiped. Like I said, I would like to stash it before I pull the battery if there is anything that can be lost.

I know it won't be earth shattering if I don't but still, I would like to.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Might have been the bulletin board/achievements? Like I said it I can't find the thread now and my memory is a little fuzzy.
The message board? Where some games leave messages and pictures ("Mail")? Mario Galaxy for example does this. The presence of pictures in there does not sound like it would fit into a small SRAM.

I don't think there is anything besides the clock that needs constant power, but I can't guarantee it.

Please tell me exactly what place(s) you mean and I will leave some data there and simply try out what happens if the battery is removed overnight. (That's what the test consoles are for).

Reactions: Alexander1970

Videomanman87

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The message board? Where some games leave messages and pictures ("Mail")? Mario Galaxy for example does this. The presence of pictures in there does not sound like it would fit into a small SRAM.

I don't think there is anything besides the clock that needs constant power, but I can't guarantee it.

Please tell me exactly what place(s) you mean and I will leave some data there and simply try out what happens if the battery is removed overnight. (That's what the test consoles are for).

I am not exactly sure. As I said I can't find the thread/discussion from several years back. The only thing I can suggest would be trying say Wii Sports. When you a stamp/medal it marks it on the board. I have a few games that did this, Wii spots is the only one I can think of off the top of my head that does it for certain. I have a few emails from people on the wii, but not many. Other than that, no other data on the board.

Like I said it was quite the discussion years ago with some saying the data would get wiped, others saying nope.

And Tech, I knew that is what the manual says. But as we know sometimes Nintendo didn't tell us everything. :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: The mutated Axolotl was awesome