Hacking replacing hdd for flash drive

Gh0sti

iOS Guru
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Was wondering if a 256gb flash drive can replace my external hdd and work the same as a backuploader if i partition the flash drive similar to the hdd I have. My HDD is probably going to go bad and I just wanted to back it up and replace it with something new.

What do you guys think?

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Flash drives are not meant to be constantly written/read from.

This a reason for them dying. Running an OS from a flash drive for very long will kill it, too.

I'm not completely sure why they don't work before they wear out. There's probably something missing in the IOS USB stack.

IOS 59 apparently works with flash drives because the one game that uses it (Dragon Quest X) came with one. However, since it was originally only available on the game disc and not NUS nobody ever explored using it for backups much.

YOUCANTSTOPME

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What's this nonsense about flash drives not working with the Wii? If you have a good quality flash drive, you're fine (tested it, many times). Flash drives (media in general) degrades if you write to it constantly. But reading backups should be fine. We're not running an OS off of it - the OS is installed inside the Wii on (you guessed it!) flash memory.

Have you done any testing on your HD? What leads you to believe it's going? Use a program such as HD Tune and do a Full Error Scan, check to see if there's any red blocks.

Edit: sidenote, Do NOT buy any flash drives off eBay for dirt cheap. Unfortunately, they are low quality and often fake.

Last edited by YOUCANTSTOPME,

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's this nonsense about flash drives not working with the Wii? If you have a good quality flash drive, you're fine (tested it, many times). Flash drives (media in general) degrades if you write to it constantly. But reading backups should be fine. We're not running an OS off of it - the OS is installed inside the Wii on (you guessed it!) flash memory.

Try looking at the last month alone's newbie posts and tell me they work fine. Anecdotes about finding one that does work aren't helpful.

YOUCANTSTOPME

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Try looking at the last month alone's newbie posts and tell me they work fine. Anecdotes about finding one that does work aren't helpful.

I mean if that's what we're going by, I'm sure I could find many posts with people with issues with their hard drives too. Should we just say that hard drives aren't good with the Wii as well? I could consider those forums posts you mention to be anecdotes as well. I'm just saying.

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean if that's what we're going by, I'm sure I could find many posts with people with issues with their hard drives too. Should we just say that hard drives aren't good with the Wii as well? I could consider those forums posts you mention to be anecdotes as well. I'm just saying.

Hypotheticals don't help with his question, either.

He asked if he should use a flash drive instead of a HDD. The answer is no, it's not worth the trouble of finding one that may work only to fail randomly in a few days.

YOUCANTSTOPME

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hypotheticals don't help with his question, either.

He asked if he should use a flash drive instead of a HDD. The answer is no, it's not worth the trouble of finding one that may work only to fail randomly in a few days.

If you use GOOD QUALITY media, you're fine. Flash memory is designed to be used. It's not meant to be a paperweight.

If you use bad flash media from eBay, you're not fine.

The problem is with the media. Not the Wii "killing" it.

Edit:

This is how I envision it goes:

Timmy goes on eBay, sees a 256gb USB for $20 shipped, when they sell in-store for something like $80 + tax.

"Oh wow, what a deal! Let's order this!"

A couple weeks later the USB arrives. He's like a kid on Christmas when it comes, he just can't believe the deal he got! It was a steal!!

He sets up all of his pirated ISOs and games on the USB. Connects it to the Wii. What a dream!

Then, days later, it fails. He goes on the forums to ask "what happened to my brand new USB? It was working and I used it on my Wii and now it's dead!"

The conclusion: "Wiis are killing flash drives!! They are clearly incompatible! I mean, just look at what happened to this guy's USB drive! It was working fine, and now it's not!!"

Reality: the USB drive was a piece of junk destined to fail.

Moral of the story: buy good quality memory from the store.

Last edited by YOUCANTSTOPME,

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't stop you from giving bad advice. I hope the OP doesn't follow it and waste his money. I think we're done.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
it isn't a bad advice if shops are advertising their product as bad, or else how would the buyer know which one is good or bad?
"if you want a good flash, buy a good one !" yeahh, best advice ever.

Your answer is half good and biased. Of course working flash will work fine, and non compatible one will not work fine. The problem is not telling him that working flash will work, but telling him WHICH flash he should use, and of course based on the last month amount of users with a problem you can feel that majority of devices are bad. It would be HARD to buy a good quality on first try.

The first answer he got was the best he could get : Flash drives generally work poorly if at all

Last edited by Cyan,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/QQkYnQu