PS1/2 Replacing DualShock 2 cable with third party

MushGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I got this DualShock 2 controller with a damaged cable, so I ordered a new replacement cable to replace it. The thing is, it only has 8 cables while the original controller has 9, and also, not all colors match. Is there some kind of guide on where to solder the colors that don't match, especially since it only has 8 colors as any other third party controller?

Edit: Here are some photos:
The original controller's colors:
IMG_0769.jpg

The replacement cable's colors. Notice the very faint yellow next to white, also one color that's very hard to tell behind blue:
IMG_0770.jpg

Upon further inspection, the one color that is missing is purple. Is this cable worth using to solder it to the controller? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by MushGuy,
D

Deleted User

Aren't DualShock 2 controllers really cheap these days? I personally prefer MadCatz controllers (wireless, 2x AAA than 3x AAA) to play on PS2 than its official one.

Looking at it, you may have to solder it. Don't see another way around it.

Last edited by ,

tglaria

Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Democratic Republic of the
So I got this DualShock 2 controller with a damaged cable, so I ordered a new replacement cable to replace it. The thing is, it only has 8 cables while the original controller has 9, and also, not all colors match. Is there some kind of guide on where to solder the colors that don't match, especially since it only has 8 colors as any other third party controller?

View attachment 223574

The replacement cable's colors. Notice the very faint yellow next to white, also one color that's very hard to tell behind blue:
View attachment 223573

Upon further inspection, the one color that is missing is purple. Is this cable worth using to solder it to the controller? Thanks in advance.
https://store.curiousinventor.com/guides/PS2
Apparently, there's a wire that's not being used.

The white.
Check the pinout.

Necron

Lurking~
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile

View attachment 223574

View attachment 223573

Do you still have the other parts? (old cable)
If so, check continuity with a multimeter, so you can label which cable goes with what pin. Then, just translate that to the new cable, done.

tglaria

Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Democratic Republic of the
also, colors don't really matter, it is possible that the thied party controller used a different color for each wire, yoou bwmetter check each wire with the pin in the control plug.

Reactions: cearp

Vali3232

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
so i have the same problem, i soldered without knowing that is has 8 wires instead of nine, i will try to see which cable isnt beeing used to see if i can repair it

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol