1. MushGuy

OP MushGuy GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    So I got this DualShock 2 controller with a damaged cable, so I ordered a new replacement cable to replace it. The thing is, it only has 8 cables while the original controller has 9, and also, not all colors match. Is there some kind of guide on where to solder the colors that don't match, especially since it only has 8 colors as any other third party controller?

Edit: Here are some photos:
    The original controller's colors:
    IMG_0769.jpg

The replacement cable's colors. Notice the very faint yellow next to white, also one color that's very hard to tell behind blue:
    IMG_0770.jpg

Upon further inspection, the one color that is missing is purple. Is this cable worth using to solder it to the controller? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by MushGuy, Sep 3, 2020
  2. Deleted User

Deleted User Newbie

Aren't DualShock 2 controllers really cheap these days? I personally prefer MadCatz controllers (wireless, 2x AAA than 3x AAA) to play on PS2 than its official one.

Looking at it, you may have to solder it. Don't see another way around it.

Last edited Sep 3, 2020
  3. tglaria

tglaria GBAtemp Regular

Congo, Democratic Republic of the
    https://store.curiousinventor.com/guides/PS2
    Apparently, there's a wire that's not being used.

The white.
    Check the pinout.

4. Necron

Necron Lurking~

Chile
    Do you still have the other parts? (old cable)
    If so, check continuity with a multimeter, so you can label which cable goes with what pin. Then, just translate that to the new cable, done.

5. tglaria

tglaria GBAtemp Regular

Congo, Democratic Republic of the
    also, colors don't really matter, it is possible that the thied party controller used a different color for each wire, yoou bwmetter check each wire with the pin in the control plug.

cearp likes this.
  6. Vali3232

Vali3232 Newbie
    Newcomer

Romania
    so i have the same problem, i soldered without knowing that is has 8 wires instead of nine, i will try to see which cable isnt beeing used to see if i can repair it

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Replacing, DualShock, cable