Replacing a rom on cartridge?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Mohammad, Sep 12, 2008.

Sep 12, 2008

Replacing a rom on cartridge? by Mohammad at 6:49 PM (1,531 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. Mohammad
    OP

Member Mohammad GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Is there a way to replace a ROM on a cartridge? So I can change the game? Want to let a friend play Soma Bringer with English patch. Thanks in advance

2. TrolleyDave

Former Staff TrolleyDave Philosolosophising

United Kingdom
    Nope. Real cartridges are read only.

3. nl255

Member nl255 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Actually, assuming the save type was the same, you could replace the ROM on a real cart with an EEPROM that has the desired game written to it. Unfortunately, you would have to manually rewrite the eeprom to change the game that is loaded on it, and it is possible that the new game would have to be the same size as the original game you replaced. Such a hack has been done with NES carts before, but it would be much easier to buy a budget flash cart and a cheap microsd card.

4. hankchill

Member hankchill I Pwn n00bs.

Canada
    What TrolleyDave said.

Think about the logic here; it's called ROM for a reason. ROM stands for 'Read Only Memory'. Do you think with 'Read Only Memory' that you would be able to write to it?

/thread

5. TrolleyDave

Former Staff TrolleyDave Philosolosophising

United Kingdom
    Cheers Hank. [​IMG]

6. Narin

Former Staff Narin The Cheat Master, kupo!

United States
    Its impossible. The games and saves use their own memory. Saves are stored in a readable and writable block of memory while the actual games are read only. Theres no way to replace the game with another. Game carts are mass produced, they aren't transferred one by one onto the actual chip set, this would take far to long. What they do is actually imprint the hardware with the game. So don't think of the memory where the game is stored as a hard drive but more of a chip that stores the game for read only operations.

7. Mohammad
    OP

United States
    lol should of thought of ROM, alright I guess I can lend out my SCSD

8. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    Are you NUTS!?! Don't lend out anything! If your friends can't get their own flashcart, tough shit for them! It's their loss. If they don't realize that getting a flashcart is a benefit to them and they would rather pay for games than get them for free, screw them.

You want to help them out? Point them to a site that sells flashcarts and to all the ROMsites you know of. THAT is how to help them, not lending them stuff.

9. tKo HaXoR

Member tKo HaXoR GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Well actually, my friend that works at Gamestop lent me his R4 way back when! ironic isn't it [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Mohammad
    OP

United States
    lol I want to play soma bringer multi-player with someone so it's all good.