Hardware Misc Replacement SD Card slot not functional?

Maxeatedcheese

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Recently my Switch's SD Card slot has been less than usable and finally it just stopped working altogether. I ordered a new one off of Amazon (This one) replaced it very carefully using the ifixit guide, and now neither of my sd card slots are working. I haven't yet tried cleaning them but I'm going to post some pictures here just to make sure I'm not doing anything obviously wrong.

IMG_1285.jpg
IMG_1290.jpg
IMG_B88B5AD407A3-1.jpeg

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Recently my Switch's SD Card slot has been less than usable and finally it just stopped working altogether. I ordered a new one off of Amazon (This one) replaced it very carefully using the ifixit guide, and now neither of my sd card slots are working. I haven't yet tried cleaning them but I'm going to post some pictures here just to make sure I'm not doing anything obviously wrong.

View attachment 335292View attachment 335295View attachment 335296

Sound like you damaged one of the pins.

fvig2001

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Well pins don't look damaged but who knows if it's really not damaged given how flimsy it is. I guess if I were in your case, I would check if the test points short on the pin that it matches just to see that the male part of the connector is still correct.

Maxeatedcheese

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sound like you damaged one of the pins.
Happened to me 2-3 years ago. I just got a new switch after wasting months trying to fix this.
I'm almost certain I didn't damage a pin but thats just going off of a very close look at it, I just cleaned it but hekate still says it cannot initiate the sd card.

I will add that earlier when I first put it in hekate said "is the sd card reader seated correctly?" but this message hasn't appeared since

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm almost certain I didn't damage a pin but thats just going off of a very close look at it, I just cleaned it but hekate still says it cannot initiate the sd card.

I will add that earlier when I first put it in hekate said "is the sd card reader seated correctly?" but this message hasn't appeared since

it is in 1 bit mode, you need a multi meter to check the connection.

Nintendo Switch Schematic // SD Card Parts - Logistics

thesjaakspoiler

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Due to the heat inside the Switch, the connector on the motherboard might have some pins that have come loose.If you have reflow tools, you can just reseat the connector on the motherboard.
If you don't have the tools, determine which connection is not working an just use a small wire to make the connection yourself.
Also check if the SD card is working correctly with a PC/Mac.
I once had an SD card just breaking down for no obvious reason.

Maxeatedcheese

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it is in 1 bit mode, you need a multi meter to check the connection.

Nintendo Switch Schematic // SD Card Parts - Logistics
Uh oh! this might be where I have to stop because you're probably correct, but I probably don't have access to a multimeter unless my stepdad has one in our garage. I will keep you posted though :/.
Due to the heat inside the Switch, the connector on the motherboard might have some pins that have come loose.If you have reflow tools, you can just reseat the connector on the motherboard.
If you don't have the tools, determine which connection is not working an just use a small wire to make the connection yourself.
Also check if the SD card is working correctly with a PC/Mac.
I once had an SD card just breaking down for no obvious reason.
Heat breaking something loose is absolutely a possibility because I have had this switch in particular get extremely hot a multitude of times. Also the sd card is not the issue because I tested with 3 different SD cards.

jkyoho

Trophies
Website
form.jotform.com
XP
Country
Canada
Those solder join pins wont break till over 180~220 degree Celsius.(Most case the CPU will stop/fail first) Its mechanically weakness by design when countable eject/inject process pushing the connection back and force.

Maxeatedcheese

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Those solder join pins wont break till over 180~220 degree Celsius.(Most case the CPU will stop/fail first) Its mechanically weakness by design when countable eject/inject process pushing the connection back and force.
Okay well at least we know it didn't get molten hot! I cannot provide any more info than closer pictures of the sd card reader pins and traces on the motherboard. I will find a multimeter and update if I find any problems. Thank you @Hayato213 for the useful image!

Reactions: Hayato213

Maxeatedcheese

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @E1ite007, I just found this randomly.