replacement PSP 2000 thumbstick

Discussion in 'PSP - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by bitbite, Apr 4, 2014.

1. bitbite
    OP

bitbite Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 6, 2013
    Canada
    So I currently have a PSP 2000 I bought cheap from a friend. The thumb-stick was completely worn out (movement was slack and erratic when playing god of war)

I needed to replace the whole unit (electrical/mechanical parts and nubs )

Just wanted to know, if ordering a replacement unit off eBay is a good idea?

- Are certain replacement units better than others?
    - does the quality vary?
    - anyone else done this before?

Please let me know what you would recommend :)

2. emigre

emigre Oh Jeremy Corbyn

Jan 28, 2009
    United States
    London
    I bought this and I found it works pretty well. You can get nubs bigger which makes gaems more comfortable to play. Well worth it.

3. bitbite
    OP

bitbite Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 6, 2013
    Canada

Actually thats, something worth looking at too.

I believe i need to clarify, its the actualy electrical/mechanically input side of the thumbstick thats not working right anymore

4. BlackWizzard17

BlackWizzard17 Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.

Dec 1, 2012
    United States
    E-Arth
    Have you tested any other game, it could be your iso/cso

5. bitbite
    OP

bitbite Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 6, 2013
    Canada

Definitely tested out multiple ISO/CSO's.

Im not entire sure the mode of failure (anything from cheeto dust, to spilling a beer on it he thinks), but the Thumbstick just doesn't have the range of motion of feel of a "normal" PSP thumbstick anymore. I'd rather just replace the whole component with something that will add some life to the system again.

6. tbgtbg

tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

Nov 27, 2006
    United States
    You can get a used PSP 2000 at gamestop for roughly the price of a new game, not saying you should give up on fixing the old one, just don't go to extreme lengths (or costs) when you could just replace it.

7. bitbite
    OP

bitbite Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 6, 2013
    Canada

A replacement joystick is $5 (nub and mechanical parts) on Ebay. Im not sure of the quality of them tho.

Unit cost me: $20 w/ charger
    MSduo adapter w/ MicroSD: $27
    New shell: $15

So far I've dropped $62 to referb a PSP2000 to brand new condition (with 32gb) upgrade.

EBgame (gamestop canada) would have charged me $65 + tax for a used one. Deffinately more cost effective to just fix one up so far.

8. Ozito

Ozito Not a new member anymore

Mar 20, 2006
    Sweden
    You should definitely buy a replacement from eBay, they are cheap enough to give it a try.
    And don't throw the old, try to clean it up and see if you can get it back to working condition again.