Hacking Replace Wii NAND between two Wiis

Cisz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi! I have an old launch day Wii that can't read data-DVDs (It can run Wii discs). This is the Wii that I have used the most, but aside from the DVD issue, it's got an noisy fan despite clearing all the dust. I purchased another launch day Wii in better condition, that can read video DVDs in WiiMC.

Is it possible to swap NAND of these units so I get "my old Wii" on the Wii hardware in better condition?

Will it believe it is the old Wii in every way, with the old MAC-address and everything? Do you think it will be able to play video DVDs since that hardware could?

If you've restored NAND or know how it works I would be very interested in hearing your thoughts! Thanks!

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
I'm pretty sure giantpune wrote an app that can do this, can't remember what its called.

Why not just migrate your mii's and save files using save game manager gx though, what else could you care about that you need to migrate the whole nand?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Found it
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Punetwiin

Reactions: Cisz and Madridi

Cisz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thank you XFlak! I think that is what I needed. I'll try it. :)

I wanted to move NAND but with the old hardware identifiers so all my channels would be brought over and my Wii Shop Channel will register it as the same account... even if that shuts down soon soit won't really be that relevant.

Cisz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The results using punetwiin are in! I had to reinstall Homebrew Channel for it to open properly, but no big deal.

Working:
Homebrew apps
Channels/Games on the old NAND
DVD Video using WiiMC (That didn't work on the old Wii)
Internet channel & Netflix

Not working:
Wii Shop Channel (It closes soon anyway though)
007 Golden Eye online multiplayer (It closes next month anyway)
Channels/Games off-loaded to SD card (They were not "allowed" to run on the new console) This something I needed really.

I don't see much use of this swap since I can't launch my old channels off the SD card, but it was worth the try!

Last edited by Cisz,

Cisz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, I think that would work since it seems putewiin does that with the games on the Wii. But I have far too many games on my SD card (more than 1 GB) to fit on the Wii.

Cisz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
That seems like it would work, but it's too much work so I think I will replace the DVD drive and fan instead.

It seemed a little unstable since when I reinstalled Bootmii as IOS and boot2 using Hackmii, all games installed on the NAND disappeared. I did that since it took minutes to load up the homebrew channel from the Wii menu HBC channel, but all that was required was reinstalling HBC using Hackmii. So it worked but perhaps not perfectly.

Cisz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Long overdue update for future reference. I handed the Wii in to a workshop that replaced the DVD drive (and reinstalled the homebrew channel and some IOS:es but don't think that's what did it) and then DVD video playback worked!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo