Hacking Repairs + HBC = Bad news

Ech0

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I installed the Homebrew Channel a few months ago to fool around with the savegame extractor and such. Now my Brawl disk has stopped working, and I'm almost positive it's that whole laser/disk/smoking issue. I called up Nintendo and they want me to send in my system and my disc to try and recreate the issue and diagnose the problem.

Obviously I don't want them to know I'm using the Homebrew Channel, so how would I go about removing it? I've read that if you simply delete it from the data management screen, it still leaves logs and traces and crap. Is there any way that I can completely remove any trace of the HBC on my Wii? If I do, (hopefully after my problem is solved) will I be able to reinstall it using the twilight hack? Or has some firmware update rendered it unusable?

CopyCaet

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I don't believe Ninty really cares about you having the HBC on it. I also don't believe that they will go that deep into the wii that they will see the logs etc.
If you really want to get rid of everything I can only think of one solution, which is formatting the wii. Backup all you're save files etc on a SD card, update your fw (not sure if this is needed, you can probably skip this unless you want to be sure everything is back to original), then format it.
Once you get your wii back you can put the saves etc back on.

So far there are no updates that render the TP hack unusable. Just make sure you get the TP beta 2 hack if it's on FW 3.4.

That's all I can tell you, hope it helps.

CopyCaet

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Edit: NVM, my bad. I just looked it up and looks like you indeed dont have to format after all. So yeah, search for virgin wii and ignore my previous post. Anyways, tj_cool, why is it bad to format then?

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
In this case, it wouldn't do much harm, but if you go a bit more advanced (like cIOSCorp) you will get troubles as formatting doesn't delete any cIOS
And I don't know what happens if you format if you have preloader, but it can't be good

noir

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had to do this a little over a year ago. I simply removed the software as best I could, knowing that traces would be left in the system. As expected, Nintendo didn't care. They're not going to dig through your system to try and find logs of homebrew so that they can blame the problem on that. What would they do? Refuse to repair it and say that you voided your warranty? They could, but it would be extremely bad PR for them. In fact, the last time I sent my Wii in it was because I bricked it with a bad WAD. They reflashed the NAND, no questions asked.

noir

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had to do this a little over a year ago. I simply removed the software as best I could, knowing that traces would be left in the system. As expected, Nintendo didn't care. They're not going to dig through your system to try and find logs of homebrew so that they can blame the problem on that. What would they do? Refuse to repair it and say that you voided your warranty? They could, but it would be extremely bad PR for them. In fact, the last time I sent my Wii in it was because I bricked it with a bad WAD. They reflashed the NAND, no questions asked.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-6512692/arcade-1-up-infinity-50-games-game-board.jsp?pfm=bdrecs...