Repairing N64 controllers with GC stick, does it actually work?

Discussion in 'Other Consoles & Oldies' started by LoggerMan, Feb 9, 2013.

1. LoggerMan
    OP

Member LoggerMan GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    I've seen Gamecube style joysticks for $9 each online, for swapping out a broken stick from a genuine N64 controller. I'm thinking of buying the 64drive (which is $200 and a month wait list!), but it would all be a waste of money if I can't source cheap and working N64 controllers too. If the replacement sticks don't work properly for games like Goldeneye, then I may as well just emulate the game (but I really do want the 64drive if I can find controllers that work).

I do like the GC stick on the Gamecube, so I just want to know if using these sticks in the N64 controller will work or not.

2. DaggerV

Member DaggerV Archmagi of the Emerald Moon

United States
    i'm sure with the know hows it can be modded to work that way, but the base alone are different.

3. LoggerMan
    OP

Australia
    Yeah, I thought that might be the case. Even despite the cost of the 64drive, the lack of easy controller solution (short of buying new ones from eBay for $50) is the only thing holding me back.

4. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    ...you could buy pre-owned controllers? It's easier than repairing yours, and you can save yours for spare parts if you need any in the future?

5. Issac

Member Issac Mini-mod

Sweden
    I read on some Swedish repairing site that the GC-ones DO work with the N64 controller... Though I haven't tried it myself.

There are N64 sticks that looks like GC sticks, and those doesn't wear down as quickly as the original... I found one here for 125 SEK (Swedish site... $19) http://www.wondergames.se/product.html/styrspak-nintendo-n64-joystick-till-controller

Can't be hard to find cheaper on some international site :)

6. Kouen Hasuki

Member Kouen Hasuki Kouen the Cyber Husky

Norway
  7. LoggerMan
    OP

Australia
    Competition Pro sounds promising then. Those two look cheap too. Shipping to NZ would be the biggest problem, and getting 4+ of them would be 4+ shipping. I feel like an idiot for not stocking up on all of this stuff years ago when it was all on sale new.

8. indask8

Member indask8 New Member Forever

France
    Those GC style replacement joysticks are OK for 95% of N64 games, but if you plan to play games that really rely on the stick sensitivity (goldeneye/smash bros) avoid them.

The problem can actually be fixed by the manufacturer if they want... but they don't seem to care.

9. LoggerMan
    OP

Australia
    It's GoldenEye and GoldeneEye X that I really want it for, as well as a few others like Mario Party and Operation Winback (best game evar). And also I want to play every game ever, to fulfill a childhood fantasy.

10. Kouen Hasuki

Member Kouen Hasuki Kouen the Cyber Husky

Norway
    try your local ebay or ebay us maybe?

11. masenko

Newcomer masenko Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    I've got two of these in my official pads, can't recommend them enough. they fell just like the original analog stick with no problems with accuracy or anything

12. LoggerMan
    OP

Australia
    Do they have to be the $19 from the Swedish site and how are they for GoldenEye? That would be still $80 for four new sticks. But then again, you can't put a price on a childhood dream. Though I'd have to buy the controllers too, and a n64, component output cable, some spare sticks for the future and the expansion pack. Goodness :(

Those $10 generic controllers I used to sneer at actually look very tempting now. Or just learning to deal with emulation.

13. masenko

Newcomer masenko Advanced Member

United Kingdom
  14. Felipe_9595

Member Felipe_9595 GBAtemp Fan

Chile
    You could do it by yourself...

Or pay this guy to do it for you:

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=328083

He makes those for Profesional SSB 64 players, i doubt you will find a better solution.

EDIT: Derp he doesn accept preorders anymore, but you could contact him to tell you how he did it (After all, he had a youtube channel with the instructions but it got deleted)