Gaming Repairing Genuine Vista with 'backup' Vista disk?

Gamer

DS Gamer
OP
Trophies
Website
www.pikaflash.com
XP
Country
Mexico
Hello!

So I have an Acer Laptop and Windows Vista Home Premium. The problem is that it became unstable, I'm getting constant file system corruption and some stuff, like Windows Update and IE do no work. It's still usable, but sometimes I have to run chkdsk before the system starts.

I do have the ACER reinstall discs that I created at the beginning, the problem is that they reinstall everything to factory settings and I can't repair with those discs, just reinstall. Just don't wanna do it, I would like first attempt a repair process without reinstall everything (like the windows upgrade process).

Anyway, the question here is... If I use a pirate or downloaded Windows Vista DVD and attempt to repair Windows without reinstall everything, does it mess up the original license? From what I've gathered it asks you a key at the beginning... can I use the original windows key that came with the laptop? Will I be able to validate windows after that?

I'm not sure if the full repair messes up the license or something... just don't wanna loose it.

Thanks a lot guys!

Thoob

LOLmonade.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
No, it won't even ask you for the key if you're just doing a repair. I've used my pirated 7 disc to do startup repair, etc. many times without a problem.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The key will be embedded into the disk. This key is not the key on the base of your laptop, it's a VLK key which will be used all Acer Laptops.

You need to copy all the *.XRM-MS files on the computer to a USB flash drive, and also the TOKENS.DAT file. Alternatively you can just use this http://www.tipandtrick.net/2008/windows-vi...auto-installer/ It's not a crack of any kind, it just installs the OEM certifcates.

Then google for the Acer SLP key, or use this to extract your CD key http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/ from your Windows installation.

Gamer

DS Gamer
OP
Trophies
Website
www.pikaflash.com
XP
Country
Mexico
Thoob said:
No, it won't even ask you for the key if you're just doing a repair. I've used my pirated 7 disc to do startup repair, etc. many times without a problem.

Hello, yep. But the thing is I'm not going to do just a startup repair. Gonna click on 'Install now' and then "Repair your computer". This way I will fully fix some corruputions.

QUOTE(tk_saturn @ Jul 8 2010, 10:55 AM) The key will be embedded into the disk. This key is not the key on the base of your laptop, it's a VLK key which will be used all Acer Laptops.

You need to copy all the *.XRM-MS files on the computer to a USB flash drive, and also the TOKENS.DAT file. Then google for the Acer VLK key, or use this to extract your CD key http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

Alright thanks. So, copying all those files back after repairing, I'll keep the original license? (sorry, I'm a bit noob at this lol)

Ok, saw your edit... thanks, gonna try it!

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gamer said:
Alright thanks. So, copying all those files back after repairing, I'll keep the original license? (sorry, I'm a bit noob at this lol)
You computer has certain Acer license information hidden in the bios. The certifcate has to match this, and then it will use the SLP key.

Your BIOS will tell Windows that it is licensed to use Windows Vista, because of the information it contains.

Your CD key which you will use should be 2TYBW-XKCQM-XY9X3-JDXYP-6CJ97 (Acer Vista Home Premium SLP Key) it's fine for me to post that because it will only work on an Acer PC has has the license info in it's bios and is used on many thousands of PC's. Microsoft even have a SLP key for XP on their website http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457078.aspx so there's no need for a mod to edit the post.

Your PC will then be licensed as it was, completely legally.

Gamer

DS Gamer
OP
Trophies
Website
www.pikaflash.com
XP
Country
Mexico
Thanks a lot. Didn't know that about OEM installations.

Just one last question, just to make sure
tongue.gif
. That tool (Windows Vista Activation OEM Certificate) works even if I have Vista + the SP2 right?

Edit: NVM, it apparently works fine too.

Gamer

DS Gamer
OP
Trophies
Website
www.pikaflash.com
XP
Country
Mexico
Sorry for the double post, just wanted to say that I repaired Vista without loosing anything, and it's activated (didn't loose the license), because I followed the tk_saturn advice (worked like a charm).

Thanks a lot guys!

Gamer

DS Gamer
OP
Trophies
Website
www.pikaflash.com
XP
Country
Mexico
Nah, it's just 1-year old or less.

I've checked for bad sectors a lot of times and the disk is healthy. The corruption was related to the file system. Everything works fine now, but gonna upgrade to Win 7 later. Vista acts stupid sometimes lol

luckwii

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Always back up your important files to an external drive before using the repair. I have lost everything on XP on a repair before. Luckily I backed up first, and it was just a pain to re install all my files.

I did the switch to Windows 7 from XP. It was pretty quick and easy. Same thing, backup first. Windows 7 keeps a "Windows Old" folder of your old system. On mine, it found all the drivers etc. on its own. I had the backup, but didn't need to use it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntjkwIXWtrc&ab_channel=Apple I feel uncomfortable from watching...