Hacking rename program

jaywilson

OP
Trophies
Website
www.nes-media.com
XP
Country
I have alot of roms on my msd, and at the moment its really un organised because some roms are named different
example,
some like this,
2939 - Guitar Hero On Tour Decades (E)(DiPLODOCUS).nds

some like this,
diplodocus-korgds10.nds

some like this,
XMS-PHSE.NDS

Is there a program that could rename them to say,

2939 - Guitar Hero On Tour Decades (E)(DiPLODOCUS).nds

to

Guitar Hero On Tour Decades.nds
and the .savs aswell,

so there all organised,
as you can see im not good at explaining.

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
Renaming from the internal name would be silly, the internal names are horribly disorganised themselves; some in all caps, some with special characters to make them look fancier. Get something like OfflineList or NdsCRC and use one of the Advanscene dats (for OfflineList, you probably want the Collection dat, which includes stuff like kiosk demos and Club Nintendo exclusives) to do your renaming. You can even set them up to name ROMs based on whatever syntax you like. For example, in OfflineList, if you entered the following:
Code:
%e - %n %o(%g)
The name would come out like "2939 - Guitar Hero On Tour Decades (E)(DiPLODOCUS).nds". To name them the way you're after, you'd just enter this:
Code:
%n
Which will name your ROM "Guitar Hero On Tour Decades.nds". That might cause problems though if you have the same game from multiple regions for any reason; they'd both be trying to use the same filename.

EDIT: However, this won't rename your saves. So what you really should do is download RToolDS, which can backup your saves. Choose your flash card and save directory in the options, then select all your ROMs (in the right column, which is your microSD card) and do a save backup in the right click menu. Now use either OfflineList or NdsCRC to rename your ROMs, and refresh the ROM list in RToolDS. Delete all the ROMs from your flash card and put them back on using RToolDS; the saves should be copied back along with the games, and you're done. RToolDS also (optionally) does trimming, so bonus.

EDIT2: Besides which, how did you plan on getting ROM numbers and release groups from the ROM headers? Those aren't in the ROM at all.

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
jaywilson said:
thanks for the help, alot of it went straight over my head though..
Both RToolDS and OfflineList are very easy to use once you get the hang of them. I use the two of them to handle my ROM collection, which currently sits at 144 ROMs. It saves me a whole lot of trouble when it comes to renaming, trimming, or otherwise managing them. For RToolDS, all you need to do is tell it a) where your ROMs are, b) which drive represents your microSD reader, c) where on your microSD card the saves are stored (for the AK2, they're just in the root directory along with the games, so if your microSD reader is "E:\", that's where your saves are), and d) what your flash card is (Acekard 2, in your case). Then you can backup your saves and RToolDS will handle them just fine, regardless of what filename your ROMs go by. You can rename them any way you like and RToolDS will still copy over the correct saves when writing ROMs to the microSD.

OffLineList is even simpler, you just download the dat file from Advanscene (this is a file which lists the names, numbers, regions, etc. of all the ROMs released so far, subject to the latest update), import it, then tell OfflineList a) where your ROMs are, and b) how you want them renamed. Then you hit ROMs > Fix incorrectly named ROMs and it will rename everything.

Now you can go back to RToolDS and refresh its ROM list so it knows the filenames have changed. Delete all the ROMs from your microSD, and then use RToolDS to copy them back onto it. RToolDS will handle all your save naming, so they'll be written back to your microSD with matching filenames.
QUOTE(jaywilson @ Nov 17 2008, 04:10 PM) on my acekard2 in the settings i have it so it displays .nds files from there internal names, and its not messy
I likewise have an Acekard 2, with the same setting, and while it works well, for organisational purposes it is not ideal. Here's a few examples from my ROM list:
  • AWAY shuffle dungeon
  • CLUBHOUSE GAMES
  • Geometry Wars: Galaxies™
  • Guitar Hero®: On Tour
  • The New York Times C R O S S W O R D S
  • __! ____! ______
  • __ POLARIUM __
The one that's just underscores and exclamation points is Ouendan, by the way; AKAIO's next version will have Japanese text support, but if you renamed using internal names, you'd better hope you can read Japanese. I don't even know whether the TM and registered trademark symbols are permissible in filenames under Windows. Odd capitalisation abounds in internal names, and stuff like Polarium is just going to look silly.

Joey90

Not around any more
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Rominator renames all my ROMs for me, and it has an extensive save manager aswell. (Not completely sure on it's capabilities with renaming...)

But I still use the internal name on my AK.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
jaywilson said:
TrolleyDave said:
You can try this

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=65886

It's a trimmer I wrote but it also has renaming built in.
from what i read, it renames them from the corresponding .sav
im look for something that renames it from its internal name

You obviously didn't read it well enough. It doesn't name them from the save, it's impossible to do as the save doesn't actually store any game information. It checks their internal details, scans a database and renames it according to those details and renames any save for that particular rom to the same name.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They're made with left over pancake/wafle batter, that's been sitting out all day.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    3 hours on a riding lawn mower, my butt is numb and my whole body is still vibrating. Gonna be a long summer. :cry: I just need to buy some goats.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, Did you leave your buttplug in?
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I feel like I spent the night with Ancientboi
    +3
  • Flame @ Flame:
    Ancientboi at it again.
    +2
  • Flame @ Flame:
    is it a bird is it a plane... no its Ancientboi banging your ass away !
    +3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Took along time to fit it in?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Snow days $25 on steam may grab it
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Measuring sizes with AncientBoi, I see.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I guess Ancientboi would be Peter
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Loooooool :rofl2:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    So true
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 Snow Day is pretty fun. My only bitch would be the camera controls, when you move around, say down, you have to move the right stick left or right to get camera to turn and get your view, other than that I like it so far.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    From what people say pvp isn't even worth it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just been playing offline, and they give you a few bots here n there on your team to help battle. I don't think it's as funny as the other games tho, more battle oriented than humor, which kinda sucks, but I'm still early in it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, doesnt the game have a campaign mode?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, and co-op, but you can also start a pvp session and battle just with friends. You get special skill cards (powers) the more you play. And higher value cards, but you can only enable so many cards at a time.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can find enough for it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Toilet paper is considered the money, you collect and buy stuff with TP, kinda funny. Graphics are def better than the other games tho, I think they used Unity 5 engine.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Look if I zoom in enough I can see the herpes!!!
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In fact I'm gonna go make a drink, roll a fatty n play some, good night to all!
    +2
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: +1