Remove update nag from emuNand?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by WeedZ, Jun 15, 2015.

1. WeedZ
    OP

WeedZ Possibly an enlightened being

GBAtemp Patron
    WeedZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 13, 2015
    United States
    How do?

2. MichiS97

MichiS97 "Leftist snowflake milennial"

GBAtemp Patron
    MichiS97 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 14, 2011
    Gambia, The
    Bavaria
    There's no feasible way to do this at this point in time

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

3. thorasgar

thorasgar Checkout my evil Soon-in-atorâ„¢

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    It's like herpes.

4. WeedZ
    OP

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jan 13, 2015
    United States
    Damn, it itches already. I'll have to update it I guess. Thanks guys.

5. Dr.Mundo

Dr.Mundo Member

Newcomer
    Jun 11, 2015
    When Nintendo pushes a new FW update, try putting your 3ds into sleep mode(with WIFI on) about 5-10 sec and open it

I got rid of my JPN N3DS emunand's update nag using this method. I don't know how exactly it works
    but I guess this deletes the existing update files and abort downloading new updates before it finishes.

6. WeedZ
    OP

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jan 13, 2015
    United States
    I'll give that a try. It would make sense if the system redownloads the update everytime it goes to sleep, assuming that you didn't update because of a bad download.

7. Artemis-kun

Artemis-kun Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 1, 2015
    Canada
    Toronto, ON
    I can attest to the above, though in my case, I needed to wait a bit more than 5-10s. I found it fixes once it contacts the updatecdn server, in my case I just watched my access logs and the second updatecdn showed up, I disabled the wifi, and now my nag is gone.

8. ground

ground GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 22, 2007
    Netherlands
    i don't think it redownloads the update every time you go into sleep, that will us a huge amount of data in the end;). i think it tchecks first if there is a new update available.

9. Omenien

Omenien Member

Newcomer
    May 28, 2015
    United States
    Why not just update? Your sysNAND is safe as long as you're sure that you're in your emuNAND.

Edit: Just realized that you might not have an O3DS.

10. WeedZ
    OP

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jan 13, 2015
    United States
    i do, im on O3ds, gateway, 9.0 sysnand, 9.7 emunand.
    yeah, I think i'm just going to update. I've been waiting to see if anyone reports any issues with 9.8 before i do, but it seems to be kosher at this point.

11. powersaver

powersaver GBAtemp Regular

Mar 15, 2015
    United States
    I thought there was a way to extract the NAND filesystem, mount the NAND filesystem on a PC, and manually delete the update and then restore. Not sure where the thread is for this now (if it even existed). Also, this seems like a lot of work for something that will just happen again and again.

There is also the safe-mode boot, but I've never heard that works with emuNAND nor do I think it would work.

12. Omenien

Omenien Member

Newcomer
    May 28, 2015
    United States
    I've been on 9.8 emuNAND since the patched version of rxTools was released and I've had no issues at all.

13. CreativeMan

CreativeMan GBAtemp Regular

Apr 26, 2009
    Mongolia
    Hi, you can't just delete an update when it reached your 3DS, the update download process alter a bunch of files so at best (but I haven't seen anyone doing it as of now) you could be able to extract EmuNAND files of a backup made prior to the time update has been downloaded, then inject them to actual EmuNAND. As it requires EmuNAND xorpad and a lot of hassle, I'm not surprised anyone hasn't tried this.
    Concerning SysNAND you're right, firing up recovery menu at coldboot then declining the update make it quiet.
    Maybe the trick might come from this, it would make sense to dump a SysNAND 3 times, once before update downloaded, another time with nag and a third time after recovery decline trick, and check what changed between 2 and 3 :P Changes between 1 and 2 are known but not 1 and 3 AFAIK.

14. mrbits

mrbits GBAtemp Regular

Jun 10, 2015
    The update nag is annoying on a n3ds as you cannot update emunand beyond 9.5. As above, no way to remove it apart from the sysnand nag.

15. Artemis-kun

Artemis-kun Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 1, 2015
    Canada
    Toronto, ON
    Repeated vouching for simply leaving your 3DS in emunand with the wifi on until it attempts to connect to updatecdn, and then killing the wifi before anything actually downloads. This also requires that a newer firmware than the one you've downloaded is currently available, but I can assure you this actually works, and is a much easier solution than any other potential options. I haven't had my nag anymore ever since 9.8 came out.

16. calebsw

calebsw GBAtemp Regular

Jul 25, 2015
    United States
    How are you monitoring your network activity? Is it within your router, or do you have some 3rd party program? I looked in my router and I feel comfortable in saying that that feature is not available to mine (Actiontec MI242WR)