Remove NNID and format without losing a9lh

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by VassagoX, Feb 16, 2017.

1. VassagoX
    OP

VassagoX Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 2, 2009
    United States
    Hello,

I have an O3DS XL with an NNID that isn't mine, it was the previous owner's and I do not know the password and have no way of getting it. I am on 11.3 and have installed a9lh and everything works fine. I want to remove the NNID and even format without losing a9lh, I understand I'll have to reinstall the CIAs I need, presumably through injecting FBI into the H&S in hourglass again?

Will formatting remove the NNID? Will my a9lh stay? I've updated to 11.3, so I'm a bit paranoid. I do have nand backups if needed.

Thanks!

2. proflayton123

proflayton123 Undeclared Shitposter 2.1

Jan 11, 2016
    Japan
    日本
    Formatting will remove the NNID, it's safe to format with A9LH installed. You're best of using TinyFormat though as it doesn't erase the sd portion of your files.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VassagoX likes this.
  3. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ ☠️Grunt☠️

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    A9LH is not tethered to the SD card not really the NAND itself because it's installed so early in the boot process. So you can always safely reformat and or do system transfers, without loosing A9LH.

VassagoX likes this.
  4. proflayton123

proflayton123 Undeclared Shitposter 2.1

Jan 11, 2016
    Japan
    日本
    Well, if it's "SDLess" then in a sense it is, but what you say too is accurate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VassagoX likes this.
  5. VassagoX
    OP

VassagoX Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 2, 2009
    United States
    TinyFormat worked perfectly for me. Thanks everyone!

proflayton123 likes this.