Hacking Remote play protocol?

Downsider

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anybody figured out the protocol the PS Vita uses to communicate with the PS3 over remote play? If anybody has any documentation on the subject, please let me know. If it's been reverse engineered, then writing a PC server to remote play PC games with your Vita should be possible, unless there's a required handshake with PSN or something.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
From what I understand, you'd need kernel access in order to have remote play work on the PSVita due to various reasons. What reasons, I have no clue, but it's only something I glanced at while over at Wololo's /talk forums.

Downsider

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what I understand, you'd need kernel access in order to have remote play work on the PSVita due to various reasons. What reasons, I have no clue, but it's only something I glanced at while over at Wololo's /talk forums.

I mean by mimicking the data that the PS3 is sending out toward the Vita, if you can log that (And I'm sure you can, isn't the PS3 completely reverse engineered at this point? Or if it's over your local network you can dump the packets by using your PC as a WAP), then you should be able to connect the two devices. At that point, surely you can foster your own stream information by reverse engineering the protocol.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Yeah it doesn't work that way.

We needed to make a homebrew app on the PSP just to get it to work, and while we have PSP access via the various exploits for the Vita, it seems as if you could use you can use that PSP homebrew app to remote play PC games. However, it apparently turns out that you need kernel access in order to use Wifi in PSP mode via the exploits, however this hasn't been confirmed yet.

Downsider

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah it doesn't work that way.

We needed to make a homebrew app on the PSP just to get it to work, and while we have PSP access via the various exploits for the Vita, it seems as if you could use you can use that PSP homebrew app to remote play PC games. However, it apparently turns out that you need kernel access in order to use Wifi in PSP mode via the exploits, however this hasn't been confirmed yet.

This has nothing to do with any thing PSP or PSV cracking related. You don't need any sort of homebrew access on the Vita's side. The PC would simply mimic the data the PS3 sends, but foster in it's own stream of video. It's a standard technique that can be compared to a WoW private server, or any game's private server for that matter. You look at the data the client and server are sending, determine the protocol that it uses to communicate, and then write your own server to replace the official one where an input gives the expected output, in this case the PS3. The client never has to be modified, just establish a connection to the "private server" in whatever way it can.

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Downsider: Connections are encrypted in this day and age. You can't simply "mimic" a datastream and expect the Vita to accept it. There is definitely handshaking going on between the two systems that would require a lot of reverse engineering as well as discovering the AES code used to encrypt the transmissions.

Reactions: 1 person

Downsider

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Downsider: Connections are encrypted in this day and age. You can't simply "mimic" a datastream and expect the Vita to accept it. There is definitely handshaking going on between the two systems that would require a lot of reverse engineering as well as discovering the AES code used to encrypt the transmissions.

The key used to encrypt has to be available on both the client and server. I was under the impression the PS3 was completely cracked? You should be able to retrieve the key through some reverse engineering. I'm not completely without experience, I've helped create and crack private servers and closed source clients for some games, and I can assure you that unless the PS Vita is some kind of edge case or uses a middleman server to negotiate the handshake (In which case you can still establish the connection from PS3-PSV through a man-in-the-middle server to retrieve the key from the Vita) these concepts should apply universally.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States

The key used to encrypt has to be available on both the client and server. I was under the impression the PS3 was completely cracked? You should be able to retrieve the key through some reverse engineering. I'm not completely without experience, I've helped create and crack private servers and closed source clients for some games, and I can assure you that unless the PS Vita is some kind of edge case or uses a middleman server to negotiate the handshake (In which case you can still establish the connection from PS3-PSV through a man-in-the-middle server to retrieve the key from the Vita) these concepts should apply universally.
LOL. If the PS3 was completely cracked we wouldn't still be stuck on 3.55 CFW

Downsider

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

LOL. If the PS3 was completely cracked we wouldn't still be stuck on 3.55 CFW

Un4tural

Trophies
XP
Country
i believe they got remote play on VAIO lappies or something... would probably be easier to crack that than one on ps3 and vita... especially since it is mostly same thing except for whatever they use for controls...

then again, sonys remote play is quite crap... input lag is too much, i am amazed at how they achieve such lag, even on home network... feels like playing FPS with a guy from the moon... at least 200ms ping, consider playing games on home network produces close to no lag at all... theres even that silly gaming console box contraption that steams games to you tv w/e (PC games i believe) and that works perfectly fine from god knows where... disapoint me this

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I hate myself