Homebrew Remote access to your roms from your NDS?

Cybermage

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hay i was wondering if there is a way to stream or remotely access my rom collection from my desktop to my ds. Has anyone heard of anything like this? i just was thinking about how cool it would be to have access to them through wifi so that even if i am out of state i could access them

~cybermage

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought there was a homebrew FTP client available. But the DS' download speed is so slow, I don't think it would be worth it, even if it would work in the way you would want to.

xxRAG3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Think about your DSes power. And how fast your internet is.
Think about it. The answer should come clearly
it's no

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure I heard that the DS capped at like 14 kb/s or something. Giving that the average decent nds file is about 60 mbs, it would take a little over an hour to transfer over one file. Of course, it would work decently for homebrew...rarely is there a piece of homebrew over 10mb, so most homebrew would transfer over in less than ten minutes maybe...that is if I'm right on the 14kb/s cap.

Cybermage

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks i had no idea that the ds had a cap on the wifi but that would explain why it hasent been done. do you know if the dsi has the same problem?

ChuckMcB

Trophies
Website
www.ds-xtra.com
XP
Country
It's less of a 'cap' and more of a restriction because of sub-par homebrew code. The libraries that most homebrew use can't get 'decent' speed. The folks over at DSLinux claim to be able to get much faster speeds using their WiFi Library.

ps. the FTP client talked about above is DSFTP, for the reasons above it's sloooowwww
smile.gif

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's not just a problem with homebrew, even commercial games have very slow transfer rates. Transferring download play data can take a minute or more, and that can't be more than 4MB since the DS only has 4MB of RAM.

fgghjjkll

GBATemp MegaMan
Trophies
XP
Have a ralink wifi adapter? use flashme and WMB to send your ds demos from your pc to your ds via ds download play.
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 🫂 +1