Homebrew Remember the old Pokemon games?

wchill

Resident chillxpert
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, so I remembered the cloning glitch that allowed me to clone my level 100 starter that I somehow couldn't beat the E4 with in Generation II.
But how do I execute it in Lameboy? I have to save with X in Lameboy, and doing so doesn't give me enough time to turn off the DS.

wchill

Resident chillxpert
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Lameboy has to write the save file to the file system manually. Until then the save remains in RAM and it's gone if you don't press X.

Uchiha Obito

Trophies
XP
Country
I know that but i can't help you
frown.gif

Unless that there's another emulator for the GBC

wchill

Resident chillxpert
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Goomba = GBA homebrew.
I would need to flash both Goomba and my ROMs onto my EZ 3-in-1, and I don't know how I would do that.

Uchiha Obito

Trophies
XP
Country
wchill said:
Goomba = GBA homebrew.
I would need to flash both Goomba and my ROMs onto my EZ 3-in-1, and I don't know how I would do that.
Oh... lol soz xD I'm not much an expert on GBA cracking since I play it with visualboy

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Goomba Color really isn't as complicated as you probably think. You download the emulator core ("goomba.gba") and the builder tool. Run the builder tool to create a single *.gba file that contains all the GB/GBC games you selected. Flash this to the 3in1's NOR or PSRAM and choose the game to play.

However, the cloning glitch might rely on some specific aspect of the actual hardware, and if this is the case then getting the same effect with an emulator might be difficult if not impossible.

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
I'm not entirely sure how saving in Goomba Color works, it might have the same problem as in Lameboy. The basic idea behind the glitch, IIRC (haven't played Pokémon since Silver) is to turn off the Game Boy during a save after performing some Pokémon movement between storage boxes on the (in-game) PC. This way the Pokémon you moved stays in its original box, but is also sent to receiving box, thus duplicating it. It works because the Pokémon is first copied to the new box, then deleted from the old box. By turning off the Game Boy after the copy but before the delete, you clone the Pokémon.

The problem is that you can't turn off your DS mid-save in Lameboy, since the save only exists in RAM, and turning it off means you lose any changes. Turning it off while Lameboy copies the save to your microSD won't do anything either, except possibly corrupt your microSD, since at that point, the changes have already been written to the save in RAM; your aim is to stop (some of) the changes from being written, and stopping Lameboy from copying your save won't help that at all. If Goomba Color's save process is anywhere near analogous to this (and I believe it is), it won't work in Goomba Color either.

EDIT: Clarify for non-Pokémon players.

wchill

Resident chillxpert
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well, I did get this to sorta work.
The Lameboy menu can be accessed by the shoulder buttons.
So while it's saving, QUICKLY access the menu and exit.
It should also write the save.
I tried this, but it had the opposite effect - the Pokemon's gone. Bad timing I suppose.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
cant you just save ingame (not with lameboy menu) and soft reset while it saves? i dont know if lameboy even supports soft reset, but it might work

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
if it rights the save from RAM to your card when you press X, surely if only some of the save is in ram when X is pressed, only that part will be written to memory, i.e. instead of powering off, if you press X when you should turn off, perhaps it will work? it will right what would have got saved, i.e. the copied pokemon and not the deleted. then select "exit without saving" from lameboy menu, and start the game again. i think this should work, but try with a crappy pokemon first, just in case.

so to sum up : where on the actual GBC you would have powered off, press X. Then exit without saving from lameboy menu, then load the game again. no power-off necessary

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
well, i'm going to try this, but it'll take me a day or two to get to the stage where i have access to the PC and some pokeballs to catch an extra pokemon, as i just started the game.

Rayler

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It takes you a day to get pokeballs?

And all this seems a bit much just to clone a pokemon, when you can just play the game from the .sav in Visual Boy Advance and 'shark one in, then put the .sav back in the DS.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i want to play, and i dont have much time to play it. also i now remember it doesnt take as long as i thought. havent played pokemon in years

Dizzy Doom

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I haven't tested this, but you could use Lameboy's reset button (in the menu), that will reset the game but not the RAM (apparently), this way you could theorically clone the pokemon.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs