Remember Me (2013)

Discussion in 'GBAtemp Reviews & Guides' started by TehSkull, Jun 16, 2013.

1. TehSkull
    OP

TehSkull Living the life

Nov 29, 2009
    United States
    Louisiana
    Remember Me is a third-person action game set in Neo-Paris, year 2084. The game stars Nillin, the world’s top​
    “memory hunter”, working under the banner of being an “Errorist” seeking to bring down the false utopia created​
    by the Memorize corporation, where the plutocrats live in places like Mnemopolis, buying, selling, sharing, and​
    reliving their memories at a moments notice, while the poor abuse this gift and turn it into a drug, spending​
    away their money for a quick memorial high.​
    [​IMG]
    Nillin’s quest requires that she go through and rewrite the memories of different people by accessing their Sensen,​
    which is mankind’s door to access their memories. These revision sequences, though how few there are, are the​
    high points of the game; however, to get to these highs, you have to drudge through semi-tedious battles against​
    enemies, boss fights that are high in frustration, and overly simplified climbing. The net result ends up being a poor​
    amalgam of Batman Arkham Asylum and Assassin’s Creed. Thankfully, carrying you through these sections of​
    mediocrity you have the often cinematic camera angles, dialogue between Nillin and her mysterious helper Edge,​
    the fantastic soundtrack, and the beautiful outdoor and indoor scenery of Neo-Paris.​
    [​IMG]
    Touching further on the music and scenery, it should be noted how in-tune these two are. Neo-Paris has classical​
    beauty, modern architecture, futuristic artworks and graffiti, and spectacular technological advancements. The​
    music, composed by Olivier Derivière, in kind, has classical instrumentation overlayed with electronic beats and​
    effects, creating the perfect audio-visual synchronization for the game’s setting.​
    [​IMG]
    After working your way through to your target and beginning the “memory remix” process, you watch a memory​
    play through for the first time, then you are instructed to rewind by rotating your analog stick counter-clockwise.​
    Fast forwarding can also be achieved by rotating clockwise. Your job is to rewind and fast forward the memory to​
    find certain “memory bugs” that can be abused. A robot that can malfunction, a gun safety that can be turned off, a​
    restraint let loose, simple things that when combined together make big impacts on the memory’s outcome. And​
    while there is always a clear path to your goal in the rewrite process, you can also watch other, equally interesting,​
    alternative scenarios play out. This memory revision process is one of the most refreshing game experiences​
    I’ve had in a long time and makes any problems worth overlooking.​
    [​IMG]
    Overall, Remember Me has amazing high notes like the memory remixing, amazing soundtrack, and gorgeous​
    visuals, that easily outweigh any negative or mediocre moments that may reduce the game’s focus. I would not​
    suggest playing this game on its hard difficulty, as the extra challenge, I find, detracts from the otherwise​
    amazingly cinematic experience. Play this game and play it quick, don’t get too distracted along the way.​
    Personally, I give this game an 8 out of 10. Remember Me is a thought-provoking and refreshing game experience.​
    Post-review side thought: Remember Me evokes the thought that video games are not all that different from​
    buying a memory for your Sensen. You’re taking someone else’s experience (you’re not Master Chief or Nillin or​
    Mario or any other character), reliving it in full detail, and making it a piece of your own memory.​

NahuelDS likes this.
  2. femalemalls8
    This message by femalemalls8 has been removed from public view by p1ngpong, Jun 20, 2013.
    Jun 20, 2013
  3. Aman27deep

Aman27deep GBAtemp Fan

May 3, 2007
    India
    Calcutta.
    Good review, and I'll have to agree with your opinion.

4. soulx

soulx GBAtemp Legend

Apr 4, 2009
    Canada
    Your review just sold me on the game. I'll get it come Steam sale.

TehSkull likes this.
  5. Nah3DS

Nah3DS Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!

Feb 9, 2010
    Argentina
    Already finished the game. All I can say is... best ass ever

6. BerserkLeon

BerserkLeon Not-so-new member

Mar 22, 2010
    United States
    Pennsylvania
    I clicked this thinking it might be about those silly recent movies called "Remember Me".. glad it wasn't. Do yourself a favor and don't watch either because they're both rather boring...

7. Enchilada

Enchilada GBAtemp Regular

Jul 3, 2013
    Romania
    Hyrule
    I like this kind of games, I'm gonna get it.

8. TehSkull
    OP

TehSkull Living the life

Nov 29, 2009
    United States
    Louisiana
    Thought I'd make sure you and all other interested parties know that:

Remember Me is now 40% off on Steam.

9. HitBattousai

HitBattousai Member

Newcomer
    Dec 26, 2006
    United States
    Having beaten the game a while back, I can say that this review pretty much reflects my thoughts on the game. The biggest flaw is definitely the combat system, and unfortunately there is a lot of combat to slog through, but the rest of the game makes up for it.

10. Golds

Golds Old Member

Dec 2, 2004
    United States
    looks pretty good, i'll pick it up on a steam sale prob, thanks!