Hacking [Release] TagMo : Tool for creating/editing Amiibos

Stevefriction

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When i do that i get "Error, key file signature does not match" on every file.
I am getting this same error. Anyone have any ideas? Edit: User error, i was choosing the ... in the upper right to load the amiibo .bin file instead of "load". So i can load the file but when I scan the tag the app force closes. Going to make sure my os is up-to-date and try again.

Last edited by Stevefriction,

MarcusRaven

HBC Theme Maker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally had to dial back to 2.3.2 to get this to work. Using a Samsung Galaxy S5 on Android 6.0. Anything after that would crash when it picked up the tag card.

sekazi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does TagMo have some type of database built in to identify the different Amiibos to show and write the name? I noticed when I try to load Poochy that it does not identify the name. When I write it I am unable to identify the Amiibo by scanning it as it does not have a name.

DocKlokMan

Plugin Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does TagMo have some type of database built in to identify the different Amiibos to show and write the name? I noticed when I try to load Poochy that it does not identify the name. When I write it I am unable to identify the Amiibo by scanning it as it does not have a name.
Yes, see this post less than 1 page back: #390

Nomelas

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Is TagMo ever getting another update? Or should I switch over to the fork?
It did but was buggy. I was on 2.3.4 and it didn't work. Had to go back to 2.3.2

On another note, is it possible to wipe a tag after writing to it? Say I wanted to reuse a tag for another amiibo (example I want to replace wolf link with the 20 heart version) is it possible?

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
It did but was buggy. I was on 2.3.4 and it didn't work. Had to go back to 2.3.2

On another note, is it possible to wipe a tag after writing to it? Say I wanted to reuse a tag for another amiibo (example I want to replace wolf link with the 20 heart version) is it possible?

Normally yes. But Amiibos require a certain section to be written to that permanently locks the tag. (leaving it unlocked would not allow it to be usable as an Amiibo on normal consoles)

So no, once you write an Amiibo to a NFC tag you can't wipe it and change it to a different one. The only part of the Amiibo that can be rewritten is the part like the character's stats and what not. So if you got a limited quantity of blanks, use them wisely. Once you write an Amiibo to one, that tag will be that Amiibo forever.

The only stuff that can be wiped are Amiibo emulator type devices like the N2 Elite/Amiiqo and what ever it is that Datel has for this. :P

Last edited by Apache Thunder,

Nomelas

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Normally yes. But Amiibos require a certain section to be written to that permanently locks the tag. (leaving it unlocked would not allow it to be usable as an Amiibo on normal consoles)

So no, once you write an Amiibo to a NFC tag you can't wipe it and change it to a different one. The only part of the Amiibo that can be rewritten is the part like the character's stats and what not. So if you got a limited quantity of blanks, use them wisely. Once you write an Amiibo to one, that tag will be that Amiibo forever.

The only stuff that can be wiped are Amiibo emulator type devices like the N2 Elite/Amiiqo and what ever it is that Datel has for this. :P

I figured, thanks for clarifying. I ordered 50 so it's not an issue.

I was curious about something else though, I see bins in different files sizes. What's the difference between 540byte amiibo bin size and 572byte ones? They both see to work. Are the 572 ones just including user data?

DocKlokMan

Plugin Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I figured, thanks for clarifying. I ordered 50 so it's not an issue.

I was curious about something else though, I see bins in different files sizes. What's the difference between 540byte amiibo bin size and 572byte ones? They both see to work. Are the 572 ones just including user data?
We discovered there was an extra signature at the end of the amiibo data but Nintendo does not seem to use this in their validation. As such it went unnoticed for a while. The 572byte dumps include this signature in case Nintendo ever decides to start checking it and renders all current 540byte amiibo tags useless. Unfortunately, TagMo still does not support these and just cuts the extra data off while writing which is why both seem to work.

Reactions: Nomelas

nexusmtz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We discovered there was an extra signature at the end of the amiibo data but Nintendo does not seem to use this in their validation. As such it went unnoticed for a while. The 572byte dumps include this signature in case Nintendo ever decides to start checking it and renders all current 540byte amiibo tags useless. Unfortunately, TagMo still does not support these and just cuts the extra data off while writing which is why both seem to work.
I agree with the information, but not the conclusion (italics added) drawn from it. The only signature I can find reference to is the one that validates that the tag is legitimately made by the manufacturer that it's claiming to be. The 572 byte dumps are there so Amiiqo can emulate those bytes should Nintendo decide to validate that signature.

Your tag is already either legitimately manufactured or not, and you can't change those bytes, so there's nothing that TagMo would do with them.

What would become useless with that verification is not the 215 tags, but rather the devices like the PowerTag that don't pass signature validation. (Maybe Datel could include those bytes, but currently, they don't.)

Note that you can check that signature with NxP's TagInfo (Extra, Originality Check).

DocKlokMan

Plugin Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree with the information, but not the conclusion (italics added) drawn from it. The only signature I can find reference to is the one that validates that the tag is legitimately made by the manufacturer that it's claiming to be. The 572 byte dumps are there so Amiiqo can emulate those bytes should Nintendo decide to validate that signature.

Your tag is already either legitimately manufactured or not, and you can't change those bytes, so there's nothing that TagMo would do with them.

What would become useless with that verification is not the 215 tags, but rather the devices like the PowerTag that don't pass signature validation. (Maybe Datel could include those bytes, but currently, they don't.)

Note that you can check that signature with NxP's TagInfo (Extra, Originality Check).
This is true assuming Nintendo doesn't whitelist specific manufacturer's that they use. But you're right, the signature, like the tag's UID, it not something TagMo could alter even if we wanted it to.

nexusmtz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is true assuming Nintendo doesn't whitelist specific manufacturer's that they use.
Who would that be aside from NXP? A whitelist would only be effective if Nintendo didn't use NXP chips (the amiibo closest to me does), or if blank NXP chips weren't readily available (all of my cards/stickers are). If your blank card/sticker/fob has a legitimate NXP chip on it, you'd still pass. That's probably why they don't bother checking.

Nomelas

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Some amiibos I scan show up in the app as Mario (LOZ) is this the default when it doesn't recognize what it is? I guess it's not updated for the newer amiibos

YiannisN

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cyprus
Guys trying to write tag (auto) and I am always getting "failed to decrypt tag" or the app crashes. I used any apk file found on the net. I am using galaxy s5 android 6.0.1 Can someone help me?

sickhouse

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Guys trying to write tag (auto) and I am always getting "failed to decrypt tag" or the app crashes. I used any apk file found on the net. I am using galaxy s5 android 6.0.1 Can someone help me?

Tried different NFC-tags? Different TagMo-builds/forks?

sickhouse

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I tried out a lot of tagmo builds/forks, but I only own some ntags bought from ali express that state on description that are for tagmo.

Are your locked/unfixed keys bin-files 80 bytes each?
If a write fails to a tag theres a great chance that tag is wasted btw.
Tried different amiibo-bin-files aswell?

This build (masterchan777 fork) https://mega.nz/#F!9WJSHDAL!Si2pHDhT7jc6sC6RzDvuLw usually works good with samsung phones.

JunkieXL69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The app is immediately crashing when I select "write tag auto"

Galaxy S4, Android 5.0.1

I've tried 2.3.2, 2.3.3, and 2.3.4Beta

EDIT: Okay I got this working with the masterchan777 forks listed above. Used app-fat-armabi-v7a-debug.apk
Looks like the ntag's I had lying around aren't NTAG215 as I get an error immediately, but I can read and save existing amiibo's I own using the app.

Last edited by JunkieXL69,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I remember when the Atari 2600 was new and exciting lol
    It could get banned from PSN but you can change your ID I think?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker