SciresM

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I saw the lack of a good RomFS Builder as a problem, so I made this thing.

SwESwiN.png

It's very, very simple.

Open a folder using the Open button, then hit Go. The program will then generate a RomFS binary.

When it's done, it'll prompt you to save the binary with a file name of your choice.

Source Code is available here: https://github.com/SciresM/RomFS-Builder

And you can download it here: https://github.com/SciresM/RomFS-Builder/releases

SciresM

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*snip*

The primary utility is that it's going to be implemented in pk3DS to enable Romfs building in addition to Exefs building, and also to serve as part of an NCCH builder I'm working on for X/Y/OR/AS that doesn't require an RSF.

Also:
-It's faster than ctr_makerom32 (nintendo sdk program).
-It's easier to use than ctr_makerom32 or Makerom.
-It's written in C#.

Reactions: I pwned U!

Huntereb

Trophies
Website
lewd.pics
XP
Country
United States
The primary utility is that it's going to be implemented in pk3DS to enable Romfs building in addition to Exefs building, and also to serve as part of an NCCH builder I'm working on for X/Y/OR/AS that doesn't require an RSF.

Also:
-It's written in C#.

Aw you're no fun.

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
*snip*

Also:
-It's written in C#.

Wait....PK3DS will have the ability to build changes into a new 3DS/CIA file? (provided all needed files are given to it) If that is true, you have become God/Arceus of Pokemon rom hacking.

Maybe I won't have to worry about needing the game patch since I can ditch the buggy RSF file I have for it. (Game patch overrides certain rom content like game text for example) Currently the RSF file I have results in the rom not booting without the game patch. A problem that seems to be widespread I think.

Reisyukaku

Onii-sama~
Developer
Trophies
Website
reisyukaku.org
XP
Country
United States
Wait....PK3DS will have the ability to build changes into a new 3DS/CIA file? (provided all needed files are given to it) If that is true, you have become God/Arceus of Pokemon rom hacking.

Maybe I won't have to worry about needing the game patch since I can ditch the buggy RSF file I have for it. (Game patch overrides certain rom content like game text for example) Currently the RSF file I have results in the rom not booting without the game patch. A problem that seems to be widespread I think.
Nah, its not a patch thing (but that is a possibility) but with this you can built romfs, and with pk3ds you can build exefs.. then you just need your exheader and there you go.. no need for rsf and you can build a rom with those.

Reactions: Margen67

SciresM

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I am under the impression that the "endgame" goal is to be able to take in a romfs/exefs/exheader with pk3DS and spit out a .3ds (.cia I guess, I'll need to look up how that works).

I could be wrong?

Apache Thunder

Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
CIA is not a desirable format for gen 6 pokemon games. I heard there's issue with using SaveDataFiler on them due to anti save swapping code or something.

So CIAs of them isn't as important. Perhaps editing an existing repacked/decrypted rom is a more realistic goal. :D

SciresM

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CIA is not a desirable format for gen 6 pokemon games. I heard there's issue with using SaveDataFiler on them due to anti save swapping code or something.

So CIAs of them isn't as important. Perhaps editing an existing repacked/decrypted rom is a more realistic goal. :D

Right. .3DS generation with no need for rsf based on exheader+romfs+exefs is, I believe, the current goal.

D

Deleted User

Nice. Might need to use this later. I don't know, though. I don't really do 3DS ROM hacking, but people have been wondering if I'll be able to help with Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies translations, so.... Maybe?

Nic333

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

You can fix your savegame using some hex editing, get your securevault from the savedatafiler and overwrite the old one with the new one on an random hex editor

Apache Thunder

Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
The dialog used to navigate to the folder one wants to build is very cumbersome to use. I have to manually navigate it to the folder every time. If it used the normal file open dialog, I can just cut and paste the folder path in to get to the location I have the folder in quickly. My RomFS folder is nested 5+ directories deep and navigating to it everytime I want to build the RomFS is a real time eater for me. :P

This would be one of my top suggestions for this if you are still working on it.

SciresM

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some news -- I finally finished updating this.

In the first release, it didn't generate the Hash Tables used to verify paths properly -- this meant some games were incompatible (like NSMB2).

I've finished fixing this today -- Hash Tables should be perfectly accurate now, and so all games should be compatible with it.

Download link to the new release is still found at my GitHub: https://github.com/SciresM/RomFS-Builder/releases

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr