Homebrew [Release] RestoreLFCS - Restore your LFCS data stored in memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I "liked" it because I thought it was a reasonable point. I then found out that it wasn't necessary to understand exactly how it works in order to achieve what you have done here.

@astronautlevel whom I respect as a very knowledgeable, helpful and active member of this community (whose word I trust, almost unreservedly), then confirmed that fact and vouched for you as a competent dev.

I've liked the post this reply addresses because apparently that's important to you, and I appreciate the work you've done.

It wasn't necessarily about the 'like', I just didn't think it was right to 'like' (which to me comes off as advocating) someone who seems to be trying to give me a bad name, regardless of me answering questions properly. I've explained exactly what this program is doing, and I don't think I can possibly dumb-en it down further than what I've already said.

My word choice can be rather awful at times, so I may come off as an asshole, don't mind it.

Also since we're one a new page I thought I'd re-post this. I'm thinking of expanding this into something similar to recovery tool:

wuTZfbs.png
0kkgxdw.png

Last edited by Joel16,

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
Because apparently this discussion is still going on for some reason, I thought I'd make a point about abstraction in libraries.

How many programmers can say that they understand, right down to the hardware level, how functions like fopen(), mkdir() printf(), recv(), and send() work? My guess is very few, and yet these are functions that every programmer uses almost every day. That's not a bad thing, it's just that these functions are abstracted away from you by the library, so you don't have to understand it. You just have to understand fopen() opens a file, mkdir() makes a directory, printf() prints to the stdout, and recv() and send() read or send to a socket.

The 3DS has a lot of commands that are similar in nature. One of these is Cfgl:DeleteCreateNANDLocalFriendCodeSeed. By taking advantage of this, you don't need to know how it's initialized or even where - those are all just implementation details that the end user can (for the most part) ignore. Are they interesting questions to ask? Yeah, definitely, the 3ds is a very interesting console and it's always good to be able to learn more about it. But is it necessary to understand the implementation details to be able to use the library? Not at all.

Last edited by astronautlevel,

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
So... you've written an application and you don't really know how it works? And it did work once on a test?! Wow, that doesn't really makes sense to me.

Of course not, no more than you would need to know exactly how and where to write to your video card's memory in order to print "hello world" on the screen. Not to mention it would be nearly impossible (and take forever) to make many modern games (including 3ds games) if the game programmers had to manually keep track of the exact ram locations where each piece of game data (i.e. lives remaining, position of the player/enemies/obstacles/etc) is located. The whole point of having things like shared libraries and api calls is so that you don't have to know how everything works to that degree of detail.

Even those few 3ds programmers who work at that level wouldn't bother with something like that when the Nintendo provided Cfgl:DeleteCreateNANDLocalFriendCodeSeed works just fine and they could be doing better things with their time like improving Luma cfw, improving the speed and compatibility of twloader/ntr-bootstrap, or making more flash carts compatible with magnethax/ntrboot (among other things).

Reactions: astronautlevel
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/kTzpzBF.mp4