Hacking [RELEASE] PFBA: Portable Final Burn Alpha - official thread

NotReallySteve

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah, okay.
Just saying, I think this would be a much better app if it was using an earlier version is all. Especially as FBNeo seems to be becoming just another MAME, with the constantly changing ROMs and pursuance of accuracy over performance.

Edit: I love what cpasjuste has done here, I just feel he's somewhat wasting his time.

Last edited by NotReallySteve,

cpasjuste

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yeah, okay.
Just saying, I think this would be a much better app if it was using an earlier version is all. Especially as FBNeo seems to be becoming just another MAME, with the constantly changing ROMs and pursuance of accuracy over performance.

Edit: I love what cpasjuste has done here, I just feel he's somewhat wasting his time.
In fact I'm not loosing a lot of time has the main pFBA target is the Nintendo switch, where it work very fine :)

NotReallySteve

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
In fact I'm not loosing a lot of time has the main pFBA target is the Nintendo switch, where it work very fine :)

Fair enough dude.
Totally understand why you're doing what you're doing. It would just make more sense to me for you to do a final FBA 2012 and leave it there for the vita, as it's only going to get worse. Close it off with the best the vita can handle. You know?

Edit: also, none of this takes anything away from the fact you're awesome, btw! Love your work. I mean, I'd love it even more with a version of FBA the vita could actually handle...

Reactions: satel

lamvuong

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Fair enough dude.
Totally understand why you're doing what you're doing. It would just make more sense to me for you to do a final FBA 2012 and leave it there for the vita, as it's only going to get worse. Close it off with the best the vita can handle. You know?

Edit: also, none of this takes anything away from the fact you're awesome, btw! Love your work. I mean, I'd love it even more with a version of FBA the vita could actually handle...
I did suggest prior to have an option where we can select which core to use because I did find the fba original core had better performance also.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

RaniaAl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
It's not the first time I've experienced this.
Does anyone actually use these things to, you know, play games? Because I swear it often feels like I'm the only one who does. The vita is not powerful enough to handle even the last version of FBA (2.97.43). FBNeo is probably worse. This emulator is a great idea targeting the wrong version, frankly. I often ended up just going back to retroarch and playing the same game through FBA 2012 tbh.

I don't know where you have played Irem games on FBA,I tried them on serveral devises with no luck,performance was always too bad.

satel

Luigi's Big Brother
Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
It won't happen, I don't want to loose too much time on the Vita. Sorry guys. For me the cps1/2 and neogeo runs well, which is a good thing at least (they use cyclone asm core).

time spent on Switch or Vita is appreciated & since the Vita will not require any future updates from you why not leave it with the best compatible version ? this only makes sense & i hope you will spare the time to do it. :)

Reactions: yuyuyup

NotReallySteve

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You know what, I was talking rubbish earlier. Turns out RaniaAI is correct and even in FBA2012 R-Type runs like shite. I totally forgot I'd switched that game to the mame2013+ core! (Works great on that.)
For the record there are a few other games I have switched to FBA2012 that run better though, 1000 miles miglia is one of them.

Edit: actually, miglia is a strange one. I recall it ran better through retroarch on the same core than on pFBA. And it seems to run slightly better through pFBN. I give up.

nowhereman87

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Hi @cpasjuste, I am a pFBA user on Vita, which is my favorite way to play arcade games. I prefer it for its simple and pleasant menu, the video filters, and for its immediacy, something that Retroarch lacks. I think the version I still use is the old 1.52 and I remember I had to go back to that one because it was the last one that allowed me to modify the button combination to call the in-game menu. This triviality is important for those of us who have a PSVita 100x model, since the select and start buttons are ridiculously sunk into the case and pressing them at the same time is the feat of an octopus.

Referring to this:

1) Could you consider incorporating in pFBN and pSNES the choice of the "menu combo" or at least an alternative option? (I use L + R which is very comfortable and fast)

2) Would it be possible to incorporate the choice, even if it is from the cfg file, to set any custom folder path for previews images, in the way that the paths for ROMs are chosen by user? This to take advantage of the images that Retroarch automatically finds and downloads and thus avoid duplicating the space occupied by copying them.

3) Simple question: Given what some say that the core FBN has its advantages and disadvantages compared to the previously used FBA, is it possible to have both emus installed simultaneously?

4) It would be nice if the pSNES bubble had a different icon than the pFBA.

I hope I'm not too pretentious. In advance I thank you very much for all the work dedicated to PSVita, I really enjoy pFBA and also your OpenBOR port. Hopefully someday you will bring a Sega Genesis emulator with this same simplicity and neatness. I hope at some point, when the quarantine ends and I get my job back I can "offer you a beer" :bow:. Greetings from Argentina, take care.

Shaneus

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I know it was asked way earlier in the thread, but does the current version/build support NeoCD? I found references to build files in the GitHub but I don't know if that means anything or not.

psmisc

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
First of all, thank you very much for the wonderful work of cpasjuste on pFBA. I always enjoy playing with it.
Well, I am using ver 4.3 (vita) now, but it does not recognize Xeno Crisis (USA) rom.
When I select it in the game list, it is in red and no rom info is shown. The game shows up on the list only when FILTER_SYSTEM is set to ALL. It is needless to say that I have the rom.
Is this intentional or a bug?
I am a noon here, so I apologize if this question had already been asked before.

lamvuong

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
First of all, thank you very much for the wonderful work of cpasjuste on pFBA. I always enjoy playing with it.
Well, I am using ver 4.3 (vita) now, but it does not recognize Xeno Crisis (USA) rom.
When I select it in the game list, it is in red and no rom info is shown. The game shows up on the list only when FILTER_SYSTEM is set to ALL. It is needless to say that I have the rom.
Is this intentional or a bug?
I am a noon here, so I apologize if this question had already been asked before.
You might have a old set, with each version changes new crc are checked it not just about the name of the file.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

ArugulaZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Accursed emulator keeps scrolling through menus without my touching anything. Why is it doing this? I've changed the right stick input in the configuration file to 254/255, removed it entirely, and changed the stick deadzone to 8000, and yet this keeps happening. Yes, my right thumbstick is broken, but I don't need a right thumbstick for old arcade games! I've tried TELLING PFBA not to accept any input from the right thumbstick! It keeps taking ghost input anyway! This is maddening!

EDIT: I did a power cycle. That cleared it up. I really, really hope it doesn't come back... it's happened before. Ugh.

Last edited by ArugulaZ,

cos68

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
I just saw that a version 4.4 has been released!
However every time I try to start the updated version on my PS Vita and on my PSTV it crashes.
Anybody else with this problem?

satel

Luigi's Big Brother
Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
I just saw that a version 4.4 has been released!
However every time I try to start the updated version on my PS Vita and on my PSTV it crashes.
Anybody else with this problem?

same here i thought it was my console !!! Switch update is fine but not Vita !!

@cpasjuste

Last edited by satel,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I am the cancer!!! lol