[RELEASE] Luma Updater

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by KunoichiZ, May 24, 2017.

1. gnmmarechal

gnmmarechal I STILL USE FLOPPY DISKS!

GBAtemp Patron
    gnmmarechal is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 13, 2014
    Here

Why I am here? Because I am stating my opinion on the tool. As part of the 3DS homebrew community, and as one who has worked on several similar tools, I have every right to do so. Get off your high horse, please.

More than that, why are you complaining about my double posting? In no way it is related to my point, it doesn't make yours stronger, and I've never had anyone complain about it to me. So there's that. I've been here for quite a while, too.

Also, @KunoichiZ , if you're keeping the nightly option disabled, I'd suggest you provide both builds, with it enabled or disabled. That's basically what you've done here, I suppose, but since you've changed the version number, I wasn't sure whether you'd keep a version with it enabled around every time you update it. Or maybe enable the option through some config file? That way you'd have a single build with it disabled by default.

Last edited by gnmmarechal, Jun 19, 2017 at 2:14 PM
    Elysium420 likes this.

2. Redferne

Redferne GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 28, 2015
    I'd like that too.
    People who want to use hourlies are more likely to know how to modify a config file. And you'd only have to do it once.

sks316 and gnmmarechal like this.
  3. pixelmasher

pixelmasher Gaming Gamer

Dec 12, 2016
    United States
    Near N3DS
    If you know enough to modify a config file, you know enough to use MultiUpdater. It even updates payloads.

4. TidusWulf

TidusWulf Real Aloha

Jul 27, 2007
    United States
    Hawaii
    I'm a bit lost right now. I tried to open LumaUpdater to make sure I was on 8.0, but it crashed. I re-downloaded the latest release, and now it opened properly. it says I'm on 8.0. Does that mean that I'm definitely on Bootstrap9 1.2? Because I can't find a for-sure-indicator that I'm on the updated bs9, all I know is that everywhere I read, it says "don't use luma 8.0 if you're not on bs9 1.2+" It was probably a week or so ago that I updated bs9, and a week or so before that that I first installed it from a9lh

5. pixelmasher

pixelmasher Gaming Gamer

Dec 12, 2016
    United States
    Near N3DS
    Luma3DS 8.0(+) only works on B9S 1.2.
    Luma3DS 7.0.5 or lower works on a9lh.
    Luma3DS 7.1 works on B9S 1.0.
    Some of the Luma3DS nightly between 7.1 and 8.0 works on B9S 1.1.

TidusWulf likes this.
  6. Redferne

Redferne GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 28, 2015
    So? Why even using Luma updater then? But that's not really the topic isn't it?

We're just trying to find a simple way to resolve the "conflict" between people that liked to have the hourlies and KunoichiZ who's trying its best so noobs don't screw up.
    In the end, it's his project and he will do whatever he wants (as he should).

7. pixelmasher

pixelmasher Gaming Gamer

Dec 12, 2016
    United States
    Near N3DS
    Actually her. And if people keep bugging her about it, she'll just quit like others before her.

8. KunoichiZ
    OP

KunoichiZ GBAtemp Guru

Mar 16, 2012
    United States
    This. I have no time to work on it and I have no plans on adding any new features. Also, the project is open source. They can attempt it for themselves if they really want it.

pixelmasher likes this.
  9. D34DL1N3R

D34DL1N3R Nephilim

Dec 6, 2008
    United States
    So I decided to update4 from a9lh and am all finished, but wanted to try out the latest luma updater. However I don't know what to choose when it says "Do you want to enable downloading boot.firm on CTR-NAND?"

I have zero idea what CTR-NAND is or if I want to enable this option or not. Thanks in advance. :)

10. KunoichiZ
    OP

KunoichiZ GBAtemp Guru

Mar 16, 2012
    United States
    If you want to be able to boot your system with the SD card out, enable it. If not, don't enable it.

D34DL1N3R likes this.
  11. D34DL1N3R

D34DL1N3R Nephilim

Dec 6, 2008
    United States
    I tried enabling it but get the following error:

Update failed

Something went wrong while trying to update,
    see screen below for details.

Reason for failure: BACKUP FAILED

Couldn't open CTR-NAND for renaming
    Could not backup /boot.firm (!!), aborting...

12. KunoichiZ
    OP

KunoichiZ GBAtemp Guru

Mar 16, 2012
    United States
    I've never received this error. Do you have boot.firm in your CTRNAND, which you should have if you followed 3ds.guide's a9lh to b9s guide?

EDIT: Just tried it and it worked for me, regardless of if I had boot.firm in my CTRNAND or not.

Last edited by KunoichiZ, Jun 20, 2017 at 9:41 PM
  13. sks316

sks316 Retro Enthusiast

Nov 28, 2013
    United States
    Hyrule
    Is your SD Card write protected? Is boot.firm on the CTRNAND?

14. D34DL1N3R

D34DL1N3R Nephilim

Dec 6, 2008
    United States
    I did follow that guide. Will have to try again later. Card was not protected as that's the first thing I checked. If I didn't have it... what is the purpose of ctrnand anyway, if everything but this one thing is working for me?

15. pixelmasher

pixelmasher Gaming Gamer

Dec 12, 2016
    United States
    Near N3DS
    It's more of a failsafe. It'll still boot without the SD card. You can still use the console even if the SD card isn't seated properly, get broken/corrupt, or SD reader fails.

sks316 likes this.
  16. D34DL1N3R

D34DL1N3R Nephilim

Dec 6, 2008
    United States
    I knew that part. I just thought there was some other purpose to CTR-NAND. :) Why is it given its own name & called that, rather than just listed as a feature of either Luma or B9S? Am I missing something or is booting without a card in its only function?

17. pixelmasher

pixelmasher Gaming Gamer

Dec 12, 2016
    United States
    Near N3DS
    It's where your 3DS operating system lives. It makes your 3DS "work". Without it, it'll be a brick.

D34DL1N3R and sks316 like this.
  18. astronautlevel

astronautlevel King of Knights

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    That Nightly Siteā„¢
    The NAND chip is almost like an SSD in your computer - it's where everything on the device is stored. CTR-NAND is a specific part of the NAND which stores all the system titles. Other parts of the NAND include FIRM0 and FIRM1, which contains the 3ds system firmware, and TWLNAND, which contains DSi related files.

19. D34DL1N3R

D34DL1N3R Nephilim

Dec 6, 2008
    United States
    Thanks. Doesn't matter now. Girlfriends son had a partially full can of pop that spilled all over my N3DSXL. Circle pad was seriously fucked and moved super slow and would stick in place & nor move back on its own. Tried cleaning it without taking it apart. No good. Tried taking it apart and not a single precision screwdriver in the entire place would get those God damn screws out. Said fuck it, broke it in half, and threw it in the garbage. Shit end to 1,001 other shitty things that happened today.