Homebrew [RELEASE] CtrBootManager/CtrBootManager9

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
some of you make no sense at all. Is this a result of that common core crap they teach in American schools now?

menuhax variation of the bootmanager? You don't need menuhax at all even with a9lh. Why the heck are you thinking about menuhax?

needs .firm support? Luma already HAS .firm support and is a boot manager in itself. Even in the first days of a9lh v1, I had been using a multi stage2 a9lh so I could boot directly to luma or gateway, or chainload through luma (AND bootanim9). You don't even need to use the boot menu, since as of before the current version (I'm stuck where I can't play with the new stuff for a few more hours) you could still name your payloads a_xxxx.bin and start_aaaa.bin and such to launch with a button press instead of using the menu.

TL;DR

Luma already chainloads .firm files and TuxSH released a simple python converter to change .bin payloads into .firm payloads.

Last edited by urherenow,
Reactions: MattKimura

Dracari

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
some of you make no sense at all. Is this a result of that common core crap they teach in American schools now?

menuhax variation of the bootmanager? You don't need menuhax at all even with a9lh. Why the heck are you thinking about menuhax?

needs .firm support? Luma already HAS .firm support and is a boot manager in itself. Even in the first days of a9lh v1, I had been using a multi stage2 a9lh so I could boot directly to luma or gateway, or chainload through luma (AND bootanim9). You don't even need to use the boot menu, since as of before the current version (I'm stuck where I can't play with the new stuff for a few more hours) you could still name your payloads a_xxxx.bin and start_aaaa.bin and such to launch with a button press instead of using the menu.

TL;DR

Luma already chainloads .firm files and TuxSH released a simple python converter to change .bin payloads into .firm payloads.
to each his or her own ya know? if people choose to want a Boot manager they're free to have/use/make one. yes a chunk of us know it causes Some issues w/ luma's reboot patches (landing at the boot manager between Firmlaunch vents/entering/exiting Settings) but its our call to make. :d

Reactions: Billy Acuña

Billy Acuña

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico

TL;DR

You know, the built-in chainloader on Luma is somehow... ungly. Also people needs to understand that Luma is a CFW rather than a chainloader and not everyone uses Luma as primary CFW.

Dracari

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know, the built-in chainloader on Luma is somehow... ungly. Also people needs to understand that Luma is a CFW rather than a chainloader and not everyone uses Luma as primary CFW.
that while yea we only have Luma for those that are migrating to B9S/SigHax, other CFWs will update possibly new ones will spring up and not every single one will introduce a chainloader.

to @urherenow nothing wrong w/ choice and free will buddy *hands a flower in a joking manner.*

Reactions: Billy Acuña

Dracari

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

GothicIII

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The

Don't post shit if you don't know what you're talking about. Here you got an example for using menuhax:
If you install virtualconsole files and you are on emunand the 3ds must boot sysnand in order to save the game. Here is the combination of menuhax+bootloader very very handy to load emunand as fast as possible again.
Some people won't use sysnand whatever you say to them, including myself. I lost a 3ds because of corrupted nand sectors and swapping a µsd is much easier than swapping the nand-chip.

There are users who have foreign configurations and have a reason for this. This is why it's good to have more than one way to load things.

Last edited by GothicIII,

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't post shit if you don't know what you're talking about. Here you got an example for using menuhax:
If you install virtualconsole files and you are on emunand the 3ds must boot sysnand in order to save the game. Here is the combination of menuhax+bootloader very very handy to load emunand as fast as possible again.
Some people won't use sysnand whatever you say to them, including myself. I lost a 3ds because of corrupted nand sectors and swapping a µsd is much easier than swapping the nand-chip.

There are users who have foreign configurations and have a reason for this. This is why it's good to have more than one way to load things.
Congrats. You have just provided ZERO reasons to use menuhax, and clarified that it is you, who doesn't know what the hell you're talking about. Ignorance is not always bliss...

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Care to explain? Else again a useless post.
Well I'm not an a9lh defender (I mean, if you're on menuhax, you're the one with long boot times, it doesn't affect me so I don't care) and I didn't get where you provided any reason in favor of menuhax. The only way menuhax can be useful in your post is in the case where a9lh means that you don't have an emuNAND (in which case yeah, if you don't want to use sysNAND you can't use a9lh, and then menuhax is the fastest way to get back to emuNAND)... Except that nothing prevents you from using an emuNAND with a9lh.

edit replace "a9lh" with "a9lh/b9s" of course

GothicIII

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Well I'm not an a9lh defender (I mean, if you're on menuhax, you're the one with long boot times, it doesn't affect me so I don't care) and I didn't get where you provided any reason in favor of menuhax. The only way menuhax can be useful in your post is in the case where a9lh means that you don't have an emuNAND (in which case yeah, if you don't want to use sysNAND you can't use a9lh, and then menuhax is the fastest way to get back to emuNAND)... Except that nothing prevents you from using an emuNAND with a9lh.

edit replace "a9lh" with "a9lh/b9s" of course

What are you talking about. I used a9lh since day 1 and I am using b9s now. But I still need menuhax for saving vc-roms because I am using Emunand.

ATM it's not possible to use VC on Emunand if you want to save without completely load sysnand. It's the way VC works.

Someone should tell me how to solve this problem beside dropping my emunand setup or using retroarch and I'll shut up and delete menuhax. I'm confident that nobody will answer.

Reactions: Hayleia

Billy Acuña

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
What are you talking about. I used a9lh since day 1 and I am using b9s now. But I still need menuhax for saving vc-roms because I am using Emunand.

ATM it's not possible to use VC on Emunand if you want to save without completely load sysnand. It's the way VC works.
I think you mean AGB flrm saves.
If you use a9lh/b9s you can boot whatever you want, you can boot sysnand to install your AGB games and then switch emunand, menuhax isn't needed, only needed if you want to get HBL at boot, but you know, most of homebrews have been ported to CIA and you still have HBL Loader for the 3DSX ones. So yeah, there is not useful workaround for menuhax at this point.

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France

Ooh, I get it. So you're saying you're living your life on emuNAND, but you still have menuhax on sysNAND so that when a VC game exits (to sysNAND because that's how it works indeed), you get back to emuNAND. Well then that's not what I understood at first read at all, and indeed that's a nice use for menuhax. And that's why you want a way to boot .firm files from menuhax, and CtrBootManager9 could be that way.
Well otherwise, aren't there quick reboot 3dsx files out there? This way, your menuhax would actually reboot the 3ds into the b9s boot process.

GothicIII

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Ooh, I get it. So you're saying you're living your life on emuNAND, but you still have menuhax on sysNAND so that when a VC game exits (to sysNAND because that's how it works indeed), you get back to emuNAND. Well then that's not what I understood at first read at all, and indeed that's a nice use for menuhax. And that's why you want a way to boot .firm files from menuhax, and CtrBootManager9 could be that way.
Well otherwise, aren't there quick reboot 3dsx files out there? This way, your menuhax would actually reboot the 3ds into the b9s boot process.

Yup you got it :) That's exactly what I am doing right now with ctrbootmanager9. It just reboots the console when launched.

I'm just defending the point, that foreign configurations are still useful and support shouldn't be dropped just because it's easier for noobs.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Someone should tell me how to solve this problem beside dropping my emunand setup or using retroarch and I'll shut up and delete menuhax. I'm confident that nobody will answer.
Luma is one answer. Autoboot emunand is in the options for Christ's sake! Luma works perfectly fine with gba/nds games. Again, that's just 1 of the options. Menuhax has been obsolete for a while now, and frankly causes more trouble than it's ever been worth.

Another option is to use a flash cart. Any cheap cart can do all NDS stuff without issue. Moderately priced carts throw in GBA and SNES as well. DSTwo Plus has even more compatibility and enhancements for gba and snes (although it's expensive and chews through battery life).

Last edited by urherenow,

Columbo2811

Trophies
XP
Country

It's only gba games that do that and luma has supported that problem ages ago. All other vc games save fine from emunand. Gba games you should just use on sysnand anyway cause what's the point of installing them twice.

Billy Acuña

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Luma is one answer. Autoboot emunand is in the options for Christ's sake! Luma works perfectly fine with gba/nds games. Again, that's just 1 of the options. Menuhax has been obsolete for a while now, and frankly causes more trouble than it's ever been worth.

Another option is to use a flash cart. Any cheap cart can do all NDS stuff without issue. Moderately priced carts throw in GBA and SNES as well. DSTwo Plus has even more compatibility and enhancements for gba and snes (although it's expensive and chews through battery life).
Snes9x by @bubble2k16 > DSTwo's SNES emulator

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Gamemaster2022 @ Gamemaster2022: Great titles. I'm about to play some Pokémon Emerald. I need to lvl up