Hacking Official [Release] CakesFW

mid-kid

GBAtemp spamBOT
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Time for a post-birthday release.
Just an excuse for doing some work after a long hiatus.

New release: Cakes (19)98.
  • No need to provide firmkey.bin anymore. Cakes will extract it from the cetk if available, which can be downloaded from nintendo's CDN.
  • Autoboot now just loads firmware_patched.bin (and does no further patching, whatsoever), causing it to boot even faster.
NOTE: firmware.bin was moved to the cakes directory.
NOTE2: If you already have a firmkey.bin, you don't need to do anything with the cetk.

May the cakes be with you.

Last edited by mid-kid,

coinblock

Trophies
XP
Country
I've tried switching over to this CFW from Gateway, but have run into a strange issue. I can boot into my GW Emunand just fine, but if I try enabling wifi through the home menu settings or even just touching the settings icon, everything locks up. Any idea what might be happening here? I'm on a 9.0.0.20 U N3DS launching the CFW through MSET. The same problem seems to occur on Reinand as well. Hope my emunand hasn't got all fouled up somehow.

Edit: Disregard this, the crash was not caused by wi-fi.

Last edited by coinblock,

mid-kid

GBAtemp spamBOT
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I've tried switching over to this CFW from Gateway, but have run into a strange issue. I can boot into my GW Emunand just fine, but if I try enabling wifi through the home menu settings or even just touching the settings icon, everything locks up. Any idea what might be happening here? I'm on a 9.0.0.20 U N3DS launching the CFW through MSET. The same problem seems to occur on Reinand as well. Hope my emunand hasn't got all fouled up somehow.

Edit: Better try the new release first and see if that remedies the problem.

Sorry, I have no idea what could be happening here (can't reproduce it either). But this is a weird bug report, since CakesFW doesn't touch anything that could make it lock up at that point (unless you're running th DHS branch, in which case... maybe?).
The new release doesn't do much different, so that won't fix it.

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
  • No need to provide firmkey.bin anymore. Cakes will extract it from the cetk if available, which can be downloaded from nintendo's CDN

NOTE: firmware.bin was moved to the cakes directory.

May the cakes be with you.

Thanks for the update!
So we just have to place cetk file in the root of the SD? (just called cetk without extension)

mid-kid

GBAtemp spamBOT
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So if I already have firmkey.bin on my SD card will I still have to use the cetk trick to get it working properly?

No, if you already have the firmkey.bin, you don't have to do anything. Just move the firmware.bin, because it's location changed.

The cetk can be removed after the firmkey.bin has been generated (which happens when loading the Cakes menu).

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
All I gotta do is wait for cakes to have regionfree....
I can install this on an 8.1J N3DS, can I?

It already has GW setup, so shouldn't be too much of a hassle would it?
Cuz every other CFW needs a browser at least to start up.
A method to update your 8.1j to 9.2j is to be revealed shortly. But, you're going to need some extra equipment to make it happen.
Just FYI my method will require a 8.1 n3ds, a 9.0-9.2J n3ds, a gateway card and jpn cubic ninja
*builds hype*

Reactions: Margen67

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto