Reinstalling my PC

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Doing this stuff out of order can result in a seriously screwed-up system. Believe me, I know. I've set up many dozens of PC's in my time. There is a very specific pattern to a successful setup, as I succinctly outlined above.
I disagree. My setup ritual generally goes something like:

All drivers in no particular order -> Windows update (either now or sometime at the end, depending on how much time I have, of course omitting WGA) -> Programs that I/the owner need -> other setup

The order generally doesn't matter as long as you get drivers installed before dumping all your programs on.

Of course if this is my main workstation, I'm probably doing my regular biyearly format, and just reapply the image I backed up right after the first time I finished setting it up instead of going through all this nonsense every time.

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
+1 for nod32
utorrent
Newsleecher
xp-Antispy
WinDirStat instead of TreeSize
OpenOffice.org
AutoGK
FileZilla
ExamDiffPro
XVI32
Foxit Reader
Real Alternative
Quicktime Alternative
Media Player Classic
ipsXP
Hotmail Popper
ISO Buster
Magic ISO
Peer Guardian
SpeedFan
TClock
Uptimer 4
UltraVNC instead of RealVNC
GIMP
GSpot
MediaCoder
VirtualDub
nvu
QuickPAR
PhotoResize
XPlite
OpenedFilesView
xpavifix (turns off the thumbnail view on .avi selection in Explorer so you can move, deleted .avis w/o Windows bitching)

And a very important registry entry:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]
"DisablePagingExecutive"=dword:00000001

That has sped up XP a lot on a few different machines I've worked on!
biggrin.gif

pinbi7

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

ridgecity

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
you should try hackintosh if you have the compatible hardware. and dual boot with Windows Xp later. cheap mac with tons of great software and windows as safety net.

stinkingbob

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Antarctica
Here is what I do so I don't have to reinstall everything: Buy Acronis True Image 11. Its around $39 when you apply an internet coupon to it. What this does is create an image of your entire harddrive. Then, when you need to, you can simply put your computer back into the state that you backed up.
For me, I installed windows XP and all progams I needed. I did all my updates. Then I took an image of my computer at that moment. Now, when I "reinstall" windows, it only takes about 15 minutes. THe only thaing I have to do is download any updates to windows. Make sure to back up any files that you need like your word documents becuase when you do the back up, it is erased.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkYA4rALqEE