Region change

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by Necron, Apr 27, 2009.

Apr 27, 2009

Region change by Necron at 3:16 AM (1,022 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. Necron
    OP

Member Necron Lurking~

Chile
    Well, I downloaded a US rom and a J save, and it worked perfectly, everything in english, but now I want to do the same with a S rom (in Spanish) with the same J save, but when I try to play, is everything in english.

I know this can be fixed by dowloading an EU save, but I want to play with the J... so the question comes now... Is there any way to change the region of the save, by hacking it?? Sounds weird, but it can be done with the Deoxys Distro cart, so I think it is possible to do with a save file

2. Chris_Skylock

Member Chris_Skylock GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Philippines
    Japanese and US (and possibly EU rom) has compatible SAV file AFAIK. I though Spanish was just a bundle to a game's language like the US one? Cant help you with that.

3. Necron
    OP

Member Necron Lurking~

Chile
    You mean multi-language?? (I don´t understand sometimes, correct me if I´m wrong) Nope, I tried that too, changing the DS languaje to french, spanish.... but no solutions, always in english

4. someonewhodied

Member someonewhodied Lazy Person

United States
    no, the ONLY PERSON WHO HAS CONVERTED A NON REGION-COMBATABLE ROM SAVE IS...ME

thats right...ME
    the one who has the ultimate Fire emblem shadow dragon wifi team
    (gharnef, Michalas, Camus, Grigas, Dactyl)

5. Tokiopop

Member Tokiopop Caffeine fiend

United Kingdom
    Sure. Care to tell us how? Or is that top-secret stuff you cannot share with us? [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Region changing of saves is potentially a very difficult task, usually we just say if it does not work as you expect give up*.
    *exceptions for things like names, we changed the names for FF3 from Japanese to English but the reasons this is possible should become apparent by the end of this post.

Basic theory, the DS has an onboard region switch (English, Japanese, French, German, Italian and Spanish) which is set in the firmware and games can choose to read and use it. Indeed different titles may appear depending on the region settings (most of the ones I have checked just copy and paste it though) and on more than one occasion a crude form of region protection was made using this (Metriod Prime hunters being the first known culprit, patches appeared within the hour).
    Other games (including those with more languages) will tend to offer an option upon boot, starting a new game or buried within a menu somewhere.

Leaving aside the very sizeable area of save checking/hashing/verification (it would take ages and it is but as tweak on basic tech knowledge/methods) you have many possibilities of things that need changing.
    Save games on the DS can be in any format the developers choose/make and unlike some of the other systems (like the wii) there is no internal checking so you will likely have to reverse engineer the method yourself (I have seen everything from parity to checksums to DS bios CRC function to normal CRC functions to cryptographic grade checks).

More discussion:
    1) Save games take what amounts to known variables and stores them, this is the usual target of save hacking tools/methods. The main problem comes with changes in variable length/type (the saves above used a 16 bit font as I recall but the US/EU release was 8 bit) which has been seen to happen on many occasions and the cascade effect (everything afterwards shifted, if there are several shifts.....) it has on the running rom. Give up would be my suggestion here, even with the source code to the roms I would not like to have a go at it. While it would be rare it would not be first time a translation team changed something (see the differences in translation for games translated simultaneously by Nintendo Europe and Nintendo US), text need not be the only thing that was changed.

2) Problems such as those you face (the ff3 example is also pertinent here as well), here hangover data from another region causes issues. In this case I imagine a flag is somewhere in the save saying the DS runs in English, the methods to finding this flag are basic (you make several near identical saves, aside from the language/the variable you want to change obviously, and find the flag. You should also be able to see if/what the hashing affects too).
    If you do not want to mess with the hashing it might be an idea to get a cheat to hold the flag to what you want.

3) Another method, language hack the rom (be it Japanese, Eu or US). I have done this with a few roms (Megaman and Nintendogs being the main two I played with) and several others have done it to work around issues with sound undubbing. Here you find the Spanish language files and dupe the game into reading them instead. This is basic file system hacking for the most part, alas increasing numbers of roms have text contained within the binary and I suggest you do not spend the time binary/assembly hacking for this.
    A simple directory swap might do the trick (many roms have a folder called En for English with others for other language (Es or Sp for Spanish although there may be more), file swapping is a similar technique but with files instead of directories. If you want to do it like a pro then you can mess with the file system section of the rom: http://nocash.emubase.de/gbatek.htm#dscart...roromfilesystem

Regarding someonewhodied's claim I can well imagine they did it but they are kidding themselves if they imagine it is a technique common to all roms beyond a basic similarity as noted above.

7. someonewhodied

Member someonewhodied Lazy Person

United States
    I don't get that complicated
    I just open a hex editor and change about 1600 bytes
    (3200 numbers)
    (actually, its copy/pasting, hexing, and testing)
    I've done this for: mmsf2, FE: SD, FFEOC, Crono Trigger, Metal Slug, and PMD2EOT (they are all not multi-region compatable)