Regarding the region switch mod

Discussion in 'Nintendo GameCube' started by Snugglevixen, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Snugglevixen
    OP

Snugglevixen Fox Princess

Feb 17, 2015
    New Zealand
    My den
    If I used the region switch mod on a Japanese GameCube to make it play US games, would the US freeloader disc work or would the stuff freeloader has to bypass be different on a region switched jp console than a non region switched us console?

Someone please help. I want to get a Japanese console since they're cheaper on ebay and are usually in better quality but I can't find the japanese freloader.

2. Lumstar

Lumstar Princess

Mar 6, 2006
    United States
    Darling
    I don't think Freeloader was released in Japan.
    Action Replay exists, but I'm not sure whether it has this feature.

A Japanese GameCube switched to us region should be able to use the us Freeloader.

Note NTSC systems need the component cable to display color in 50hz-only games. Far cheaper to just buy a PAL console for PAL games.
    (I tried composite on a modchipped us console with Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, it played black and white)

3. Snugglevixen
    OP

Feb 17, 2015
    New Zealand
    My den
    I ordered one from codejunkies the other day and I'm concerned by this as I think 1 or 2 of my games are 50Hz only. It the issue exclusive to North American/Japanese TVs? I know that my NTSC games are black in white on some old PAL TVs that support PAL60

4. Lumstar

Lumstar Princess

Mar 6, 2006
    United States
    Darling
    I don't have a signal analyzer to know what composite & s-video format NTSC systems actually output at 50hz.
    But if NTSC50, that's not a valid TV standard and few sets anywhere are likely to work.

5. Snugglevixen
    OP

Feb 17, 2015
    New Zealand
    My den
    Well, my digital TVs seem to accept any signal and all GC games I currently own that I care about all have 60 Hz modes. So regardless of whether it's a TV or GC issue I should be fine