Question Regarding CFW and sleep mode

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by naivegirl2411, Sep 24, 2018.

1. naivegirl2411
    OP

naivegirl2411 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 29, 2015
    I've been catching up to the switch scene and I have 2 questions that I am struggling to find answers to:

1) How does CFW store data? For instance, if you had to hypothetically play a game you installed in CFW and leave CFW would your game and save data be deleted once you use OFW? Or would you be able to continue from where you left off once you enter CFW again?

2) I've read that there are different ways to fully power off the switch (think there was a thread that said you can use hekate, etc). My question is why couldn't you simply hold the power button for 12 seconds to fully power off the switch and push a payload once you wanted to switch it on again (eg. From autorcm)?

Just trying to understand the implications of using CFW and autorcm here so any help would be appreciated.

2. Ashura66

Ashura66 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 1, 2016
    Portugal
    Under my bed
    1) Saves are stored the same way a legit game would store them(not sure if in sys or SD card) so they are safe
    2)There is a thread, i forget which one exactly, that mentions that method doesn't fully power off the Switch. Honestly i don't power it off AT ALL i just leave it on sleep mode

naivegirl2411 likes this.
  3. naivegirl2411
    OP

naivegirl2411 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 29, 2015
    Ah ok, so do you have to reinstall the .nsp everytime you switch from CFW to OFW? And lastly is there a risk to your switch if the battery dies when you're on sleep mode? I don't mind letting the switch sleep but is there a risk to bricking the switch?

Thank you for the reply!

4. Kubas_inko

Kubas_inko "Something funny goes here."

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I gues on earth.

Nope. NSPs will be still installed, you just can't play them OFW.
    There was no instance if bricking from sleep mode, so no.

naivegirl2411 likes this.