reformatting

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by triassic911, Jun 27, 2009.

Jun 27, 2009

reformatting by triassic911 at 7:35 AM (477 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. triassic911
    OP

Member triassic911 Burst Mode

United States
    Hi guys, here is the deal. I have this laptop that is currently on windows xp. However, it original came with Windows Vista pre-installed. The thing is, I don't want vista when I reformat. I also do not want to go through the process of installing xp again and trying to find ALL the drivers for my hardware. I couldn't even connect to the internet! That is an experience I do not want to go through again. So yeah, How would I reformat this computer while still keeping xp, and more importantly, all the drivers? Thanks.

2. yeahitschris

Member yeahitschris GBAtemp Regular

United States
    i highly DOUBT you can keep all of your drivers. unless you install XP again(not sure about this one).why don't you just go to your laptops website, and then look for your laptop, most companies should have a page where you can download your drivers back.

3. warbird

Member warbird GBAtemp Regular

Japan
    Just use driver magician or something similar to backup all your drivers. Format, reinstall, install driver magician again, and restore drivers. Ta-Da! Fully functional system!

4. Lee79

Member Lee79 Hyper...Active...Team Fortress 2 Addict

United Kingdom
    Another way is to copy the contents of C:\windows\system32\drivers to a CD. Install windows and then merge the folder with the new System32 driver folder and then go to device manger and scan for hardware changes.

5. triassic911
    OP

Member triassic911 Burst Mode

United States
    Ok I'll do the driver backup method. Thanks.