Reformatting after a bad hack?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by pitweasel, Dec 30, 2012.

1. pitweasel
    OP

pitweasel Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 31, 2009
    United States
    This seems like an obvious question, but I can't find a clear answer.

My Wii (version 3.3) has been soft modded for years. I recently had to make some changes to the external drive I was using, which meant converting it from WBFS to FAT. Well, my USB loader stopped working, so I made some changes there and to some of the other custom files, and now all I get with the USB loader is a code dump. I've lost track of every little random file that I've installed, so I'd really like to just start over.

If I use the Wii's built in format option, will that just wipe out every change I've made to it and restore it back to the way it was when I bought it? I feel like a clean slate is my best option, but I want to be sure that I'll actually get one if I use that utility. Thanks!

2. lukinoz

lukinoz Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 30, 2011
    No, this will only delete your Miis, saves ans downloaded channels. Just use modmii to update your softmod.

3. Hielkenator

Hielkenator GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 7, 2010
    Netherlands
    And will set a different Wii meassage board number for your Wii.

4. mike333

mike333 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 30, 2010
    Poland
  5. pitweasel
    OP

Newcomer
    Mar 31, 2009
    United States
    Tried ModMii, but I'm stuck right from the start. I created a package and put the contents on a freshly format FAT32 SD card. When I launch HBC and use to to install HackMii - the very first step in the manual - it just disconnects my remote and freezes at the "this software must not be sold" screen. The "press 1 to continue" option never even appears.

Any ideas? Thanks again!

6. pitweasel
    OP

Newcomer
    Mar 31, 2009
    United States
    Well played. For reference: I started doing this as a last minute hack job (no pun intended) the night before leaving on a four month tour. I came back from that a few weeks ago, and have only now decided to tackle this project again. I'd love to be able to remember what specific files I modded nearly five months ago now, but I just didn't place that high a priority on this project.