Hacking REDnand boot failure - Luma issue?

Spadra27

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello All,

Thanks for reading. I am in the process of following Plailect's Guide. In Part 3 I am able to successfully complete up to step 26 without issue. When I reach step 26 Luma will load into the home screen but the version does not reflect with EMU. I will load back into Homebrew and launch Luma but Luma will fail to load. I have tested this to 12 failures on load for Luma. The only thing that resolves this is deleting the config.bin file in the Luma folder. This will allow me to repeat step 26 but I am still receiving the same results. I have checked in Nintendo 3DS folders and I have 3 folders. So I am assuming I have Rednand and Emunand. Any and all feedback is appreciated.

EDIT: The unit is an old 3DS that belonged to a friend who used it for Gateway.

Last edited by Spadra27,

Spadra27

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi David,

Thanks for the reply! It is much appreciated.

In the config screen for Luma I activated "Show current NAND in System Settings" by checking it off before hitting start. I have attempted to launch RedNAND with Luma5.5, 5.4, 5.31 & 5.2.

I also went back into EmuNAND9 selected "Complete RedNAND setup" and checked to see if I would receive the note that RedNAND already was present. It is. Perhaps it is corrupted?

NintenDavid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi David,

Thanks for the reply! It is much appreciated.

In the config screen for Luma I activated "Show current NAND in System Settings" by checking it off before hitting start. I have attempted to launch RedNAND with Luma5.5, 5.4, 5.31 & 5.2.

I also went back into EmuNAND9 selected "Complete RedNAND setup" and checked to see if I would receive the note that RedNAND already was present. It is. Perhaps it is corrupted?
If you don't know if it is corrupted or not, use OTPHelper to validate EmuNAND/RedNAND.

Spadra27

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I will give OTPHelper a try. I know RedNAND installed successfully and EmuNAND9 confirms Red exists but when I am able to successfully load the 3DS home screen from Luma reboot the version type does not display EMU. I will update in a few. Thanks for the help!

Last edited by Spadra27,

Spadra27

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have tried with the 2GB the unit came with and an upgraded 64GB SD that was formatted to 32FAT.

For the EmuNAND/RedNAND formatting what would be the proper procedure? Assuming I would be using EmuNAND9?

NintenDavid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have tried with the 2GB the unit came with and an upgraded 64GB SD that was formatted to 32FAT.

For the EmuNAND/RedNAND formatting what would be the proper procedure? Assuming I would be using EmuNAND9?
Backup all files on your SD Card to your computer, then on EmuNAND9, do either the complete RedNAND or EmuNAND setup.

Spadra27

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I will give that a try. I have conducted the Complete RedNAND Setup several times. Should I remove RedNAND prior? Will it overwrite the existing Red or create a second one? Starting to wonder if there is a duplicity issue...

I also saw this
O3DS running v9.0.0-20U using menuhax and all the updated files told in the guide
Going to try and restore RedNAND by cloning my SysNAND over to it since SysNAND is still working fine

EDIT: So the clone got RedNAND booting again. Went to the System Settings Emu 9.0.0-20U; all good.

Should this be something to consider?

What version of Luma is considered to be the ideal for this? I have read people are using 5.31 or 5.2

Last edited by Spadra27,

NintenDavid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I will give that a try. I have conducted the Complete RedNAND Setup several times. Should I remove RedNAND prior? Will it overwrite the existing Red or create a second one? Starting to wonder if there is a duplicity issue...

I also saw this

Should this be something to consider?

What version of Luma is considered to be the ideal for this? I have read people are using 5.31 or 5.2
The only one I would answer is the one from the other thread. Try cloning SysNAND to RedNAND.

Spadra27

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Backup everything, and do a real format to the SD Card, as in formatting everything, even EmuNAND/RedNAND.

I will definitely give this a shot.

For clarification
- For formatting the card can I do this on a Mac? Set to 32FAT? Or were you referring to formatting in Homebrew?
- Once the card is formatted where do I pick the guide up from? part1?

civickm

Rocky Mountain IT Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I will definitely give this a shot.

For clarification
- For formatting the card can I do this on a Mac? Set to 32FAT? Or were you referring to formatting in Homebrew?
- Once the card is formatted where do I pick the guide up from? part1?
Try to format on windows i have had issues with doing it on a Mac :(

gkoelho

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Are you absolutely sure you are not trying to boot the CFW while being already on it? because it will cause a black screen 100% of the time

Spadra27

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you absolutely sure you are not trying to boot the CFW while being already on it? because it will cause a black screen 100% of the time

Hi gkoelho, thanks for joining the discussion. I am fairly sure I am not in RedNAND/EmuNAND. It was my understanding the menuhax config for booting into Homebrew was dependent on you being in SysNAND. Or am I misinterpreting CFW and your question?

Spadra27

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
UPDATE:

Formatted the card and I am ready to Complete RedNAND Setup. I noticed that when I initiate the process the first line says "File starter.bin was not found continuing without autosetup..." I can still opt to continue the process. Is this my red flag??

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hke2YUirpf4 +1