Hacking Red Screen of Death during firmware update

jadog

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just bought an 80gb PS3 from a friend. I wanted to update the official firmware to the OFW 3.55 before upgrading to a CFW. I downloaded the firmware and it matched the MD5 hash (2be5e87a22bf1e7f48e98fcabd38977b). I booting my PS3 into recovery mode and selected to upgrade the firmware. At around 50% it restarted and showed the red screen with a "A serious error has occurred. Contact technical support..." message. Is there a fix, or do I have a brick? I'm so depressed as I wasn't able to even play a single game on it yet
cry.gif

jadog

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My warranty is up, and I'm sure that they will just tell me to send it in for the $150 repair. I can buy another for less...

I'll give them a call anyway.

GameWinner

Take your heart
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As long as you have no save data on the other, you might as well buy another and use the old one as a expensive paper weight. Or take it apart and sell the parts on eBay.

jadog

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What about using a jailbreak device and placing it into service mode and then re-flashing to an earlier firmware? Surely somebody has had success with recovering from a RSOD.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay