Red Screen of Death during firmware update

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by jadog, Sep 11, 2011.

1. jadog
    OP

jadog Member

Newcomer
    Mar 27, 2010
    United States
    I just bought an 80gb PS3 from a friend. I wanted to update the official firmware to the OFW 3.55 before upgrading to a CFW. I downloaded the firmware and it matched the MD5 hash (2be5e87a22bf1e7f48e98fcabd38977b). I booting my PS3 into recovery mode and selected to upgrade the firmware. At around 50% it restarted and showed the red screen with a "A serious error has occurred. Contact technical support..." message. Is there a fix, or do I have a brick? I'm so depressed as I wasn't able to even play a single game on it yet [​IMG].

2. GameWinner

GameWinner Take your heart

Jun 14, 2009
    United States
    Your first bet is calling up Sony.

3. jadog
    OP

jadog Member

Newcomer
    Mar 27, 2010
    United States
    My warranty is up, and I'm sure that they will just tell me to send it in for the $150 repair. I can buy another for less...

I'll give them a call anyway.

4. GameWinner

GameWinner Take your heart

Jun 14, 2009
    United States
    As long as you have no save data on the other, you might as well buy another and use the old one as a expensive paper weight. Or take it apart and sell the parts on eBay.

5. VashTS

VashTS Beat it, son

Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    Upstate NY
    they repaired mine for $100

6. jadog
    OP

jadog Member

Newcomer
    Mar 27, 2010
    United States
    What about using a jailbreak device and placing it into service mode and then re-flashing to an earlier firmware? Surely somebody has had success with recovering from a RSOD.