President
OP
Trophies
Website
live.xbox.com
XP
Country
United States
I looked around and couldn't find any information so maybe i'm not searching right. IDK
Anyway, I was thinking of rebuying another Wii (sold my last one) for softmodding and all that good stuff but wanted to get the red or black edition. Does anyone know if they are compatible with softmodding?
I read that past a certain serial number increment they are not.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What brausm08 said.

While any Wii can be softmodded, the new Wii cannot play DVD backups. If you want to play backups, you will need to use USB loading.

CarbonX13

GBAtemp 台灣人
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
The posters above covered up most of it...

All Wii consoles can be soft-modded, one way or another. Newer consoles have a D3-2 drive, rendering them as incapable of playing DVD-R backups, though USB loading is possible. Newer consoles are also incapable of having BootMii installed as boot2.

pikachucrackpipe

President
OP
Trophies
Website
live.xbox.com
XP
Country
United States
CarbonX13 said:
The posters above covered up most of it...

All Wii consoles can be soft-modded, one way or another. Newer consoles have a D3-2 drive, rendering them as incapable of playing DVD-R backups, though USB loading is possible. Newer consoles are also incapable of having BootMii installed as boot2.

so basically just use a usb drive with the isos loaded on it? that's fine because that's what i was planning on doing anyway.
i was hoping i could use the default interface and some type of other launcher "channel" to access from the main menu that would allow me to run the isos.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
pikachucrackpipe said:
I read that past a certain serial number increment they are not.
Incorrect. That serial number thingy probably refers to the installation of bootmii as boot2. While it's too bad newer wii's can't be as brick-safe as the older ones, it is not limiting the softmoddability in the least.

There are plenty of channels out there. The most known one is the homebrew channel (HBC), from which pretty much all other homebrew is run. I advise you to check out the backup loaders section. Once you got those set up with some nice backups (you aren't planning on pirating games, are you?
tongue.gif
), you can install a channel of them as well.

Or even better: install priiloader and use its feature to load something that isn't the system menu (in other words: your loader). That way, you can literally start a game with 2 clicks of the wiimote after booting the wii (and yes, that includes one click to sync the thing
wink.gif
).

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If i were you id dig for an older wii. Having a drive that can read backup is a big plus and youll end up paying less.

CarbonX13

GBAtemp 台灣人
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
He's asking about different consoles and how they'd relate to soft-modding, and not directly asking anything about the soft-mod process, thus placing it in 'Consoles and Game Discussions' is fine...

Waflix

El Psy Congroo
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
CarbonX13 said:
He's asking about different consoles and how they'd relate to soft-modding, and not directly asking anything about the soft-mod process, thus placing it in 'Consoles and Game Discussions' is fine...

But his question isn't really about the Console or a game itself. So how about this one then?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, I'm good. Thanks.