Red and Black Wii Consoles and Softmodding

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by pikachucrackpipe, Jan 9, 2011.

1. pikachucrackpipe
    OP

Member pikachucrackpipe President

United States
    I looked around and couldn't find any information so maybe i'm not searching right. IDK
    Anyway, I was thinking of rebuying another Wii (sold my last one) for softmodding and all that good stuff but wanted to get the red or black edition. Does anyone know if they are compatible with softmodding?
    I read that past a certain serial number increment they are not.

2. brausm08

Member brausm08 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    did you read the softmod any wii sticky title? let me copy and paste for you....

Modify ANY Wii 4.3 & below, Up to 4.3, any serial, all wii colors, any region

3. Lacius

Member Lacius GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    What brausm08 said.

While any Wii can be softmodded, the new Wii cannot play DVD backups. If you want to play backups, you will need to use USB loading.

4. CarbonX13

Member CarbonX13 GBAtemp 台灣人

Taiwan
    The posters above covered up most of it...

All Wii consoles can be soft-modded, one way or another. Newer consoles have a D3-2 drive, rendering them as incapable of playing DVD-R backups, though USB loading is possible. Newer consoles are also incapable of having BootMii installed as boot2.

5. pikachucrackpipe
    OP

Member pikachucrackpipe President

United States
    so basically just use a usb drive with the isos loaded on it? that's fine because that's what i was planning on doing anyway.
    i was hoping i could use the default interface and some type of other launcher "channel" to access from the main menu that would allow me to run the isos.

6. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    Incorrect. That serial number thingy probably refers to the installation of bootmii as boot2. While it's too bad newer wii's can't be as brick-safe as the older ones, it is not limiting the softmoddability in the least.

There are plenty of channels out there. The most known one is the homebrew channel (HBC), from which pretty much all other homebrew is run. I advise you to check out the backup loaders section. Once you got those set up with some nice backups (you aren't planning on pirating games, are you? [​IMG] ), you can install a channel of them as well.

Or even better: install priiloader and use its feature to load something that isn't the system menu (in other words: your loader). That way, you can literally start a game with 2 clicks of the wiimote after booting the wii (and yes, that includes one click to sync the thing [​IMG] ).

7. Magsor

Member Magsor I am watching you

Canada
    If i were you id dig for an older wii. Having a drive that can read backup is a big plus and youll end up paying less.

8. WalterCool

Member WalterCool GBAtemp Regular

Chile
    Close this thread, this isn't "Wii - Hacking"

9. Waflix

Member Waflix El Psy Congroo

Netherlands
    Bro... This topic should be moved to this topic...

EDIT: Sorry, WalterCool already said that. But I think it is clear now that this topic is in the wrong forum!

10. CarbonX13

Member CarbonX13 GBAtemp 台灣人

Taiwan
    He's asking about different consoles and how they'd relate to soft-modding, and not directly asking anything about the soft-mod process, thus placing it in 'Consoles and Game Discussions' is fine...

11. Waflix

Member Waflix El Psy Congroo

Netherlands
    But his question isn't really about the Console or a game itself. So how about this one then?