Recovering lost memory card data

kbell917

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is mostly a Gamecube thing but two weeks ago I modded my Wii to play GameCube games, but I made the mistake of playing a NTSC-J game on a physical memory card with NTSC-U game data. In an instant, all my old game data, going as far back as 2004 was gone. I managed to save a good handful of games through GCMM backups and the GCM memcard recover program i found on here, but there are still things left missing like melee pictures, wind waker data, my brother's twilight princess data, etc. it's worth noting there are two memory cards I used one official one where the original data was stored, and another one I got recently with a lot more storage. I made the mistake of moving all that data to my new memory card instead of copying (blindly assuming I would never need to use it anymore) and the new memory card with bigger storage got formatted. this is the part where it starts to sound bad; I went ahead and formatted the new memory card (i got emotional in the moment and thought it was all gone for good before I searched up if it can be recovered) and recovered the backed up GCMM data into the new memory card. the old one however was untouched for the most part. doing as much research as I could, I learned that memory card data saves stored data twice, one version of it is displayed and the other is tucked away deeper within the system. Ultimately what I'm asking is; is it possible to recover the rest of my old memory card data on either card?

Last edited by kbell917,

NeonMillz

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This is mostly a Gamecube thing but two weeks ago I modded my Wii to play GameCube games, but I made the mistake of playing a NTSC-J game on a physical memory card with NTSC-U game data. In an instant, all my old game data, going as far back as 2004 was gone. I managed to save a good handful of games through GCMM backups and the GCM memcard recover program i found on here, but there are still things left missing like melee pictures, wind waker data, my brother's twilight princess data, etc. it's worth noting there are two memory cards I used one official one where the original data was stored, and another one I got recently with a lot more storage. I made the mistake of moving all that data to my new memory card instead of copying (blindly assuming I would never need to use it anymore) and the new memory card with bigger storage got formatted. this is the part where it starts to sound bad; I went ahead and formatted the new memory card (i got emotional in the moment and thought it was all gone for good before I searched up if it can be recovered) and recovered the backed up GCMM data into the new memory card. the old one however was untouched for the most part. doing as much research as I could, I learned that memory card data saves stored data twice, one version of it is displayed and the other is tucked away deeper within the system. Ultimately what I'm asking is; is it possible to recover the rest of my old memory card data on either card?
Hex Editor would be good to use that's what I did to recover most of my data but if the data was overwritten then it is pretty much gone forever

NeonMillz

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yh I used that same code before to find my old saves I wish that was the same as the Xbox 360 because my hard drive randomly got corrupted and I lost all my data and my profile even came off the Xbox, I had to download it back again

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, the higher gen the console is, the more pita it is to back things up. I wish you could backup ps5 saves, but you can only backup ps4 saves on the ps5 via usb. your only option is cloud saving to which there's a different option for ps5 and for ps4 saves on the ps5. though, you do need psn+ to do cloud saving, I believe. afaik, xbox is the only one of the big three that offers cloud saving for free.

Reactions: NeonMillz

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know you can change region of a save with wii games through the memory manager, decompress the save, take the data file (ignore the banner), then create a new save with the other region, decompress the save, replace the data (keep the banner), then inject it into internal memory. I don't know about cube saves though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1