Gaming Recommended controller for Dolphin emulator?

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What is your recommended controller set up? I'm testing with a wired Xbox 360 controller and unsure if it's worth the effort in getting the Wii U Gamecube adapter or trying and get Bluetooth working and use a Switch Pro controller.

Shady Guy Jose

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
It really depends on the games. The only real "problem" with the Xbox layout is that you have to get used to B and X being switched and Y being far away. Some games, such as Dreamcast ports and their sequels (Sonic games, for example) actually benefit from that layout, since it was the same as the Dreamcast, but in other games, it might be weird. I think that there are Gamecube-shaped Switch controllers that you may succeed in getting to work over Bluetooth.

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It really depends on the games. The only real "problem" with the Xbox layout is that you have to get used to B and X being switched and Y being far away. Some games, such as Dreamcast ports and their sequels (Sonic games, for example) actually benefit from that layout, since it was the same as the Dreamcast, but in other games, it might be weird. I think that there are Gamecube-shaped Switch controllers that you may succeed in getting to work over Bluetooth.
Bluetooth wireless gaming would be my ultimate goal but failed at the first hurdle because I picked up the cheapest Bluetooth adapter and getting it to work with Dolphin is a nightmare.

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be honest if you want to play gamecube games on dolphin get the gamecube controller for the switch it is only $25. If you want to play Wii get the wired pro controller for the switch it is $25 you can use it on the PC. I also reccomend you keep your Wii Remote and buy aftermarket controller and numb-chucks since some games force you to use those.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Keep in mind the Switch pro controller uses digital triggers, not analog, so some GC games (like Super Mario Sunshine, for example) won't control well when you need pressure sensitive triggers (even if that's only a few games, and honestly Super Mario Sunshine is the only one that matters).

I personally just use a PS3 controller. Been using the same controller for nearly 10 years now (basically since Dolphin 2.0 IIRC), it's worked just fine over both wired and bluetooth that entire time, and I haven't had any issues ever using it in those 10 years (beyond dumb stuff like bad bluetooth adapters with meh signal).

Whether getting a Mayflash/Wii U GC adapter is worth it entirely depends on you, if you like the GC controller and you have a few sitting around, then sure go ahead and buy one, but if you really don't care and at the end of the day you just want to play video games, use whatever you have around.

WwwWwwW

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have over 10 different controllers. My favorite is EasySMX ESM-9100. It is a wired controller, which I prefer to not need to charge it. It has also wired version available.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you get DS4Windows installed on your pc and you own a DualShock 4 Controller, it's pretty damn good, issue with the trigger precision still exists but I managed to work around this issue, yes it took a little bit longer, but other than that, its as solid as a WiiU pro controller, but without the odd button and stick placement and triggers. Definitely give this a try when you get the chance. (PLUS you can customize the light! Im using the original DS4)

Attachments

• download (1).jpg
    download (1).jpg
    685.4 KB · Views: 476
D

Deleted User

If you get DS4Windows installed on your pc and you own a DualShock 4 Controller, it's pretty damn good, issue with the trigger precision still exists but I managed to work around this issue, yes it took a little bit longer, but other than that, its as solid as a WiiU pro controller, but without the odd button and stick placement and triggers. Definitely give this a try when you get the chance. (PLUS you can customize the light! Im using the original DS4)
With the DS4 controller you can also emulate motion with a Wii mote and actually move the pointers around properly in Wii games/menus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Exactly, from what I heard, the gyro and motion is rather great. The secondary issue with the DS4 is the button placement, like Shady Guy Jose mentioned. But another plus is the touchpad, which can replicate the mouse extremely well. if you take away the limited amount of touchpad space, it's pretty much a 2-in-1 controller (minus keyboard, but I bet there are quite a few keyboard attachments that you can place in the EXT. port on the bottom of the controller, similar to all the mini keyboards for the 360 and xbox one) Honestly, I would rather use the Dualshock 4 controller over the Xbox One controller.(Im gonna go off on about the Xbox One controller) Scott the Woz said "the Xbox One controller feels more premium in some ways but cheaper in others", and I've never agreed with something more than this. The thumbsticks are the first premium part, and the triggers are the second. Now the issues, and there are a LOT! First, the durability. I don't think I've EVER thrown a controller in my life, and im usually pretty gentle on controllers, it might've been cause these were used, but I think after about like...what three months? And a thumb stick fell out. I think the front plate came loose for it to get caught on a blanket to get pulled out or something, but it wasn't on purpose at all. The backgrips are loose, but it's likely for access to the screws. but a bit unnecessary, the triggers were cool, but I preferred the 360's triggers a bit more, probably because of the gap that is between the trigger and the rear space. And the last one...THE FUCKING BATTERY LIFE AND NEED FOR BATTERIES! Sony changed to internal batteries before Nintendo and Microsoft if im correct, but I think the reason was that you would have to completely replace the entire or most or if you're lucky, some of the components that got covered in whatever kind of extremist levels of tangy juices that leaked out of the battery, but your guess is as good as mine.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With the DS4 controller you can also emulate motion with a Wii mote and actually move the pointers around properly in Wii games/menus
If you do happen to own a Dualshock 4, use it with DS4Windows, cause you can customize the light, the rumble, button mapping and whatnot. If you want the closest color to the classic Gamecube indigo, the values are R: 75, G: 0, B: 130. The reason I can't get it on the dot (I think) is that the light bar is slightly more blueish I think, or that the bar intensity is a bit high, im not too sure. But read the comment above this post if you want

Last edited by MarioDestroyerofworlds,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I watched more stuff about what controllers are the best for Gamecube Emulation, and what I gathered from this was:
1: Genuine Gamecube controller, or a re-released model. Reason: Well the games were designed FOR them
2: Wii Remote (Best to go for one with WiiMotionPLUS for accurate motion)PROS: because of the Gamecube controller attachment| CONS: Batteries, maybe...?
3: Switch Pro Controller | PROS: Accurate motion, great build quality, nice buttons, great thumbsticks, good layout | CONS: ABYX layout, digital triggers
4: DualShock 4 (Playstation 4 controller). PROS: Accurate Motion, Touchpad for games that could POSSIBLY benefit, very good build quality, lightbar customizability, decent button layout PRO/CON: keyboard maybe? | CONS: Circle, Triangle, Square and Cross button layout, Triggers.
5: XBOX 360 Controller | PROS: Superb build quality, fairly decent layout, trigger feel. CONS: Lack of motion(?)*unknown for
me, please confirm*, triggers, A,B,Y,X layout, thumbstick grip maybe, D-pad being clunky(?)
5 1/2 : Wii U Controller (Gamepad, the fat fuck, the Fat Man, the one week wilderness survivalist kit)| PROS: WILDLY comfortable, fairly odd layout, but the size compensates for the odd layout. CONS: Battery life, but you'd likely have this plugged in, ABYX placement, digital triggers.
6: XBOX One Controller | PROS: Thumbsticks, d-pad, rumble, fairly decent button layout. CONS: Cheapish feeling of shell, ABYX placement, triggers, thumbsticks feeling too damn premium on a damn cheap ass controller, would've made sense on the DS4.
7: The Wii U Pro Controller | PROS: Battery life...I guess? CONS: everything. triggers that look like analog triggers but are digital, odd button placement, ABYX placement, (The one I owned was a fake "Super Famicom design" Pro Controller U cause anybody who's anybody knows what happens if they dared to used Wii and U next to one another)
=============================================================================================
There are likely better options than these that are out there, and if so, I would recommend checking out 8Bitdo, Hori, Razer(?) and SCUF, cause they can dish out quite the solid third party controllers

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is your recommended controller set up? I'm testing with a wired Xbox 360 controller and unsure if it's worth the effort in getting the Wii U Gamecube adapter or trying and get Bluetooth working and use a Switch Pro controller.
Go for a DualShock 4, as long as you don't mind the trigger issue, and button layout. However, you have two versions, Dualshock 4 version 1.0 (Launch model) and Dualshock 4 version 2.0 (Revised model). The revised model fixed the issue with the analog sticks coming off, extended the studs to the back of the grips, and made the light somewhat show through the touchpad at the top, which might sound either good, bad or eh, but I like it. And the Dualshock 4 also has motion and gyro controls, for things like the Wii. And the build quality is a lot better than the XBOX One controller, jesus fuck what did all the money go into, giving the sticks tire tracks?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update: I used the Xbox One controller more, and its a valid option for Gamecube games, but no Wii games due to no motion, control layout is nice. Also, in the configure options there are ANALOG trigger options, bind those to your rear shoulder buttons so they register as analog input, tested this with Sunshine, it works!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I use an 8bitdo sn30 pro+.
Might not the best for GameCube games, but it's not that bad when you get used to it.
I I heard its pretty good, the layout is quite nice too, and I figured out there is an option for analog input like on the Gamecube controller as well!

Vovajka

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
For a wireless controller a dualshock 4 would be the best option if you don't have windows 10, if you do have win 10 you can use the xbox controller wirelessly using Bluetooth. If you are on a budget, you can buy some cheap controllers on AliExpress or Amazon.

elBenyo

Wad of meat.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DS4 will be the best I've used but I'm curious what a DualSense could do with those triggers. Very reminiscent of the feel you get playing Sunshine on a GC controller.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: both of which work well in potplayer