Hardware Recommend a "trouble free" backup solution

odyssy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Mod chip, soft mod, whatever.. I just want to be able to rip (preferably..) and play game backups as easily as possible (once set up properly). I don't want to need to resort to hacks or workarounds to get a particular game working, as much as possible.

What would work best?
Soft mod? (NB: My Wii has version 4.2)
Mod chip?

Edit I would also prefer to play games from a hard drive instead of discs.

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you keep things up to date... Softmodding is fine... but you don't seem to want something that requires maintenance, so your best bet would be a mod chip...

Understand that no matter what method you use though, nintendo regularly releases updates to try and thwart it... It's called piracy for a reason, if you want a completely trouble free solution the only way is to go legit and buy all your games.

heavyd2007

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hands down, a mod chip is by far the best way to go! I have a D2CPRO and a WiiClip for a solderless install - never had an issue, never had to update, nothing. I see all sorts of people online looking for solutions all the time, the majority of whom seem to be using a soft-mod setup. My advice is spend a little more money up front and by a chip. In the end, you'll either spend the money, or spend the time maintaining your wii your choice.

I picked my modchip and wiiclip up from www.techsick.com because they also had a bunch of useful tutorial videos for making sure that you buy the right hardware and then for installing the products they sell. All I had to do was open my console and read the # on the drive chip and order accordingly. It was really easy. Good luck.

yaywii.gif

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i agree with heavyd2007 for the most part.
ive got wode & flatmii125. ive also got both of my wiis softmodded. using the softmod/homebrew loaders, i can play most games. but i can play even more games, and with less issues using the hardware mods.

using the hardware mod, theres no cIOS issues, no 002 errors. games just work. all games either work right away or a firmware update for your modchip can get the game working.

however, theres stuff you can do with homebrew you cant do with just a modchip. stuff like cheating & debugging games, taking screenshots, etc.

odyssy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So sounds like a modchip is the best solution.
Which would be the best modchip?
I was looking at Wode, but I'm not sure if that's an option, since my Wii is oriented horizontally (and there's no good place to put it where I can orient it vertically..)

MFDC12

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
odyssy said:
So sounds like a modchip is the best solution.
Which would be the best modchip?
I was looking at Wode, but I'm not sure if that's an option, since my Wii is oriented horizontally (and there's no good place to put it where I can orient it vertically..)

depends on your drive. if its an older one (one that can read burned discs) get a wiikey 2. i have a wasabi zero, and that has not failed me yet (however they dont make them anymore). if the wode does not work or you, you could look at the wiikey fusion or something, if you want that sort of thing.

also, you should check out the sundriver as well.

edit: fixed some error

odyssy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Which one (if any/all) of these mod chips can:
- Rip discs into backups?
- Play backups from hard drive?
- Play WiiWare/Virtual console?

MFDC12

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i am not sure about the non-homebrew backing up abilities off wiikey fusion (if possible). you will need homebrew otherwise (unless you choose wode)

sundriver replaces your entire drive with a hard drive so it plays off a hard drive.

you will definitely need homebrew for wiiware/vc

qwertymodo

Trophies
Website
qwertymodo.com
XP
Country
United States
The WODE is awesome. I'm not sure if WODEFlow ever got released, but if it did, that would make for an awesome interface that would also enable cheats. I personally use a softmod, the only hardware mod I have is a custom case, but I can understand the motivation behind wanting something as simple as possible. Also, in a horizontal orientation you can place the WODE base on top of the Wii, it just doesn't look all that great... you can see how it would look here

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
odyssy said:
Which one (if any/all) of these mod chips can:
- Play WiiWare/Virtual console?

no hardware mod wil allow you to copy/dump/play/install/pirate channels. you need a softmod for this.

and that video qwertymoto linked to is not an official wode setup. this is my wii, and i did this by removing some of the internals of the wii, notching the wii face-plate, cutting off the front part of the wode base, and epoxying the partial wode to the wii faceplate. it doesnt look that great, but i dont like the way the wii looks standing up either.

qwertymodo

Trophies
Website
qwertymodo.com
XP
Country
United States
giantpune said:
i did this by removing some of the internals of the wii, notching the wii face-plate, cutting off the front part of the wode base, and epoxying the partial wode to the wii faceplate.

ah, my bad... it looked to me like the ribbon cable was just long enough to set it that way. I guess I was mistaken.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I had one it was fun lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I think I did then it broke a few months later
    Used it as a web cam for a day for fun, sooo shitty it was hilarious
    I had two Ken one regular black one and a silver special edition one lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Speaking of old stuff those green og Logitech Xbox controllers still being listed around $100
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    eyetoy was fun yeah
    super basic, but the minigames were well designed
    i'm sure there's at least 1 emulator out there that works with it
    I had the PS3 one too and The Eye of Judgement game lol was ass
    i had eye toy play on ps2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Microsoft ruined it with kinect
    @The Real Jdbye, PCSX2 works with any web cam and emulates the EyeToy with it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I remember mic support for the n64 being janky
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Emulation wise
    I had a kinnect.... It blew rotting goat balls
    Ken amazingly DraStic microphone support works better than real hardware lol
    On a phone of course
    Also touch is better.... Well at least better than the launch DS, the lite one improved that a ton
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Touch
    +1
    I really need to dig out my USB Wii sensor bar and experiment with Wii emulation and synching Wii remotes with BT lol
    Sort of redundant since I have a Wii lol
    With HDMI lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I also have a Wii
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Tomorrow be may 4th
    Getting Wiid from Street Pharmacist Mario?
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Getting Wiid from Street Pharmacist Mario?