GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a DVD rom thingy in my computer, but it doesn't allow me to burn anything to DVD-R. Can someone recommend a good quality, good burn-rate DVD burner for my computer (a year-old HP)? Money isn't so much an issue; I just want the best-quality product available.

Thanks

Bob Loblaw

Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Pioneers are supposed to be really good and they are the only ones that can write a true dvd-rom. I use a Plextor though and that is also a really good burner which burns everything fine including "dvd-roms." (xbox 360 isos mainly and some DVD movie isos). However any burner that burns dvd-roms that isn't a pioneer isn't burning a true dvd-rom. What that matters though I'm not sure because like I said my plextor works fine. Hell, even my laptop burner automatically detects +R media and burns it at booktype dvd-rom.

With that being said, the pioneer 112d is only $35. Maybe someone else can clarify how pioneer is the only burner that burns true dvd-roms. I'm really not too clear on the subject.

Kiljaeden

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I assume you are just looking for a DVD burner and not a HD-DVD or Blu-ray burner? If so:

If you want the best value for money, you're best off getting a Pioneer. They are quite solid and popular burners.

If money isn't an issue, which you stated in your post, then Plextor are probably the top of the market.

JPH

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
jphtemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Bought this Sony DVD burner from Newegg the other day.

After surviving a full chewing from my cousins dog (he ripped thru the box and everything!), it still works great.
smile.gif

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Plextor, hmm? Been using one of their units (a type of proprietary CD burner) for years to back up my studio data from my Roland digital workstation. I never really thought of them for this purpose, though. If I wanted to use this DVD burner mainly for backing up Wii ROMs, which would be the better choice then -- Pioneer or Plextor?

Thank again for the replies.

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i have a pioneer and it is great. it's the same speed as my dvd burner at work Plextor, but it actually rips dvds much faster.

EDIT: for wii games, you might want to look into LG, it can actually read real wii games.

BigX

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
QUOTE said:
for wii games, you might want to look into LG, it can actually read real wii games
thats only with special read only drives IIRC.

Anyway using my burner for home movie DVDs too, I avoid LG (and sony) burner...
take Pioneer instead.

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
for wii games, you might want to look into LG, it can actually read real wii games
thats only with special read only drives IIRC.

Anyway using my burner for home movie DVDs too, I avoid LG (and sony) burner...
take Pioneer instead.

may i add the pioneer ones are extremely quiet.

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have a pionner 112D. It was dirt cheap and burns everything I throw at it. I've even installed custom firmware on it. Works great for burning xbox 360 games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +1
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped... +1