Recent Hardware Upgrade

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by ToraxOutlaw, Apr 10, 2015.

1. ToraxOutlaw
    OP

ToraxOutlaw Member

Newcomer
    Feb 17, 2013
    Stoke-on-Trent
    Hi forum brothers in arms, I've recently just upgraded from my old DS Lite to the New 3DS XL much to my sheer joy and happiness. I have now encountered a slight issue with recent hardware upgrade, I know my DS Lite EDGE flash cart will not work in my New 3DS XL, hence why I've come to the forums for your advice. I own all the games on the flash cart, I just downloaded the backups save me carrying around all my games. I need advice on the best flash cart for the New 3DS XL to use with all my old games, I'm not interested in the 3DS flash carts for 3DS games cause I will more than likely purchase the downloadable versions from the Nintendo eShop. So guys what advice can you give to help a fellow gamer out.

2. Ralph1611

Ralph1611 GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 20, 2014
    United States
    did you update the firmware on your new purchase?

3. endoverend

endoverend AKA zooksman

GBAtemp Patron
    endoverend is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    The best DS flashcart that works on all 3DS firmwares is the Supercard DSTWO. A little pricey, but it has an extra built-in CPU for things like GBA emulation and tons of extra features.

4. Ralph1611

Ralph1611 GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 20, 2014
    United States
    Where can he even find a DSTWO?

5. RodrigoDavy

RodrigoDavy GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 9, 2011
    Brazil
    A R4i Gold 3DS should do the trick. It is cheap and it works.

If you want gba and snes emulation and don't mind paying more for it, you can buy the Supercard DSTWO. But, do note that snes and gba emulation are far from perfect even with the DStwo.

6. 2Hack

2Hack HYPiavelli

Nov 26, 2014
    Canada
    Underground
    Either the DSTwo, or just the classic R4i Gold 3DS RTS. As long as it supports 7.x fw, it should support any current firmware.

DSTwo is expensive, but the best one out there.

7. ToraxOutlaw
    OP

ToraxOutlaw Member

Newcomer
    Feb 17, 2013
    Stoke-on-Trent
    I have updated it to the latest version will that have any effect on the flash cart, I'm not fussed about GBA emulation as I have my GBA SP for all my GBA games, there's only the Zelda NES games I want play but I can get them from the eShop. I've looked at the DSTwo, it's pricey but something I wouldn't need as I wouldn't be emulating GBA or NES games.

8. ToraxOutlaw
    OP

ToraxOutlaw Member

Newcomer
    Feb 17, 2013
    Stoke-on-Trent
    OK, so it's a toss up now between the DSTwo and the R4i Gold 3DS RTS. But I have come across this flash cart as well the R4i Gold Pro (2015), what's this about?

9. gempugs

gempugs Member

Newcomer
    Dec 20, 2014
    United States
    TC just get the one from www.r4ids.cn and you are guaranteed safe.

10. thorasgar

thorasgar Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    Absolutely there is something dodgy about the r4 SDHC cards as they put out a new one each year and then drop support for the old ones.

11. Zidapi

Zidapi GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 1, 2002
    They show upon eBay with some frequency at a reasonable prices.

12. Kohmei

Kohmei GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 17, 2013
    United States
    It's worth mentioning that the DStwo drains more battery life than the R4i gold RTS due to its SoC. Compounded with this the fact that you probably don't care for sub-par GBA/SNES emulation, I'd say avoid the DStwo and go for the R4i. Like others have said, just make sure the retailer mentions that it's 3DS 9.x+ compatible

13. ToraxOutlaw
    OP

ToraxOutlaw Member

Newcomer
    Feb 17, 2013
    Stoke-on-Trent
    Thanks for your help guys, I'll look into the R4 cards, but what about this R4i Gold Pro (2015) and if I wanted to backup and use my 3DS games, what could you recommend then???

14. dkabot

dkabot Better With Others' Systems Than Their Own

Sep 9, 2014
    United States
    You're on latest firmware, so backing up I'm not sure about (perhaps a hardware dongle would allow that, but I've never looked into it) and playing your only option is Sky3DS.

Of course, if your titles are eShop this is irrelevant.

15. ToraxOutlaw
    OP

ToraxOutlaw Member

Newcomer
    Feb 17, 2013
    Stoke-on-Trent
    Thanks guys, you've been really helpful. I have noticed that R4 have made a £DS Deluxe card that can play 3DS titles does anyone know anything about this???

16. dkabot

dkabot Better With Others' Systems Than Their Own

Sep 9, 2014
    United States
    Basically any card that's not Gateway or Sky is either a clone of one of them or a DS mode cart. If the former, just get the real deal. If the latter, know it's DS only.

The one named appears to be a Gateway clone.

17. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    its a gateway clone and its been abandoned, it hasnt received an update since last july

18. ToraxOutlaw
    OP

ToraxOutlaw Member

Newcomer
    Feb 17, 2013
    Stoke-on-Trent
    Thanks again guys and final thing to ask what's this R4i Gold Pro (2015) all about and is it genuine???

19. ToraxOutlaw
    OP

ToraxOutlaw Member

Newcomer
    Feb 17, 2013
    Stoke-on-Trent
    Guys???