Rebuild a corrupted NAND backup

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Zacchi4k, Feb 14, 2015.

1. Zacchi4k
    OP

Zacchi4k GBAtemp Regular

Feb 6, 2015
    Italy
    Italy
    Hi,
    I have a bricked 3DS and a corrupted NAND backup of it.
    How do I rebuild the backup in a way that I can flash it in the 3DS?
    Also, i once formatted the console and the backup was made before the format, is it still OK?

2. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    the nand is encrypted, so you cant really fix it, how did your nand backup become corrupted? and how was the console bricked

one last resort could be ripping your emunand (if you set one up) and using that to restore to the console, but afaik if you updated to 8.1+ that will also not be an option as 8.1+ emunand cant be restored to sysnand

3. cutterjohn

cutterjohn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 27, 2007
    United States
    Yes he COULD have had he done it BEFORE the corruption. Something like a parity archive wouldn't care if the data was encrypted or not and would restore it. ANY utility like that wouldn't care about anything other than restoration of the data to it's original state as they do NOTHING AT ALL with the data itself.

...but it's already too late for that...

Might be a good idea in the future to generate 100% parity archives. (100% archives can reproduce the original file without even having it, <100% you need at least a small piece of the original file which grows as the archive % decreases, but I'd recommend 100% archives.)

4. Zacchi4k
    OP

Zacchi4k GBAtemp Regular

Feb 6, 2015
    Italy
    Italy
    Well, I really don't know how the backup become corrupted, but I know it because I tried to restore it to the NAND and now the 3DS won't load (but the blue led lights up). I asked to a website to repair it, I sent the backup to them and they said that the backup needs to be "rebuilded", but they want €90 (around 102 $)!!!
    Also, emuNAND was 9.5, so...
    Please, if you know how to fix this, tell me.
    Also if I can do something like, I don't know, with the dowgrade pack...

5. Avalynn

Avalynn I'm here to help poeple out as I can.

Feb 23, 2014
    United States
    San Jose, CA
    Does just the blue LED light up and nothing on either screen? When you hook up your read/writer does it still give you the blue screen with an error code?
    Also do you still have your SD card with your emuNAND on it?

If your 3DS was below 8.1 you can try restoring your emuNAND version onto it but it will make your 3DS at whatever your emuNAND was at, 9.5 from what you said.

Update:
    Erm i'm actually not sure why you can't just restore your emuNAND to your system since it is a full image of your system. I tried it for the fun of it and my 3DS XL was on 4.5 and I wrote my 9.4 emuNAND to the system and it booted just fine.

6. Zacchi4k
    OP

Zacchi4k GBAtemp Regular

Feb 6, 2015
    Italy
    Italy
    Only the led lights up and I never did the reader/writer mod.
    I can try restore the EMUNAND, but on 9.5 Gateway doesn't work...

7. Avalynn

Feb 23, 2014
    United States
    San Jose, CA
    Wait if you never did the read/writer mod then how do you know your backup is corrupted? Did you just try to restore it via Gateway?
    Erm what I am asking is how are you flashing your system NAND?

If you've used gate way to take a system backup that should work too. So check is you don;t have an NAND.bin type files lying around on your SD card even.

8. Zacchi4k
    OP

Zacchi4k GBAtemp Regular

Feb 6, 2015
    Italy
    Italy
    I did the backup and restored it via the Gateway.

I have the backup that I restored in my PC

9. Avalynn

Feb 23, 2014
    United States
    San Jose, CA
    Well it might still be good then possibly?
    You can try restoring it doing the hardware NAND mod, but please be very careful and if you don't feel up to it get someone experienced to do it. Best of luck to you! Since your system won't boot this might be the only way to go.

10. Zacchi4k
    OP

Zacchi4k GBAtemp Regular

Feb 6, 2015
    Italy
    Italy

I know someone that can make it. I'll try.

11. Zacchi4k
    OP

Zacchi4k GBAtemp Regular

Feb 6, 2015
    Italy
    Italy

But I have another thing to say.
    I once tried to put the backup on the emuNAND via the emuNAND tool (https://gbatemp.net/threads/emunand-tool-release-and-support-thread.359239/) but then the emuNAND won't start.
    But I tried to check the backup with rom_tool 3.0 and it says it's fine! I mean, what the hell?!?

12. Avalynn

Feb 23, 2014
    United States
    San Jose, CA
    Um... 'rom_tool' is a tool designed to check/manipulate CTR Cartridge Image (CCI) files, mainly for use with Gateway 3DS and associated clones. CCI files are better known to the 3DS Scene as 3DS ROM Dumps, but as "CCI" is the correct term, I'll be using it in place of "ROM". Not system backups ><

Also your system backup "should" work as emuNAND but I've never personal injected my sysNAND as emuNAND. I've only done it the other way around.

13. Zacchi4k
    OP

Zacchi4k GBAtemp Regular

Feb 6, 2015
    Italy
    Italy

But still they told me that the backup needs to be "rebuilded", so I don't know if it will work...

14. Avalynn

Feb 23, 2014
    United States
    San Jose, CA
    Well try doing the hardware mod and restoring the backup first it won't make it any worse then it already is, and you can always try to restore the emuNAND as a test to. If either of those boots then you know the hardware is good at least and I hope your backup is fine.

Also... I don't know how they can "rebuild" the backup without decrypting it first, maybe there is a way? I know they have made great strides on the software side, I just haven't kept up at all :mellow:

15. Zacchi4k
    OP

Zacchi4k GBAtemp Regular

Feb 6, 2015
    Italy
    Italy

Maybe I'll find something on the Internet, but I'll NEVER spend €90 for an OLD 3DS, because I read in other forums that here in Italy some New 3DSs have 9.0 FW, so when Gateway will fully support it I'll buy it and it's not appropriate to spend a lot of money for something that I will use for less than a year for now.

16. Zacchi4k
    OP

Zacchi4k GBAtemp Regular

Feb 6, 2015
    Italy
    Italy
    WAIT WAIT WAIT! I now remember that I still have a working EmuNand on my SD card, but that's 9.5... Is there any way to flash that and then downgrade (i still have the corrupted backup)?

17. BerserkLeon

BerserkLeon Not-so-new member

Mar 22, 2010
    United States
    Pennsylvania
    You cannot downgrade from 9.5. If you could I'd have 3 more exploitable 3DSs.

If your nand backup is truly corrupt then I really doubt some website can rebuild it. If that sort of ability was around I would hope that it would be shared with the public. So don't give money to the sheisters.
    You can try flashing your emunand but it won't be downgradeable.

Even if you flash it back and make a nand backup via hard-mod, the new backup can't be used to rebuild the old one, because encryption. With many kinds of encryption, if one character changes, the entire thing changes.
    If you manage to get the emunand working, flashed to sysnand, you could at least sell it and try to get another exploitable 3ds.

18. blinkzane

blinkzane Panic at your moms house

Jul 24, 2012
    United States
    Florida
    sounds like your nand backup is fine and they want more money out of you

19. Zacchi4k
    OP

Zacchi4k GBAtemp Regular

Feb 6, 2015
    Italy
    Italy

I once saw that a guy decrypted his NAND backup. Is there any known way to do so?

20. Zacchi4k
    OP

Zacchi4k GBAtemp Regular

Feb 6, 2015
    Italy
    Italy

Also, if the encryption for the SysNand and the EmuNand is the same? Is there a way?