Hardware Rebuild a corrupted NAND backup

lAkdaOpeKA

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi,
I have a bricked 3DS and a corrupted NAND backup of it.
How do I rebuild the backup in a way that I can flash it in the 3DS?
Also, i once formatted the console and the backup was made before the format, is it still OK?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Hi,
I have a bricked 3DS and a corrupted NAND backup of it.
How do I rebuild the backup in a way that I can flash it in the 3DS?
Also, i once formatted the console and the backup was made before the format, is it still OK?
the nand is encrypted, so you cant really fix it, how did your nand backup become corrupted? and how was the console bricked

one last resort could be ripping your emunand (if you set one up) and using that to restore to the console, but afaik if you updated to 8.1+ that will also not be an option as 8.1+ emunand cant be restored to sysnand

cutterjohn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the nand is encrypted, so you cant really fix it, how did your nand backup become corrupted? and how was the console bricked

one last resort could be ripping your emunand (if you set one up) and using that to restore to the console, but afaik if you updated to 8.1+ that will also not be an option as 8.1+ emunand cant be restored to sysnand
Yes he COULD have had he done it BEFORE the corruption. Something like a parity archive wouldn't care if the data was encrypted or not and would restore it. ANY utility like that wouldn't care about anything other than restoration of the data to it's original state as they do NOTHING AT ALL with the data itself.

...but it's already too late for that...

Might be a good idea in the future to generate 100% parity archives. (100% archives can reproduce the original file without even having it, <100% you need at least a small piece of the original file which grows as the archive % decreases, but I'd recommend 100% archives.)

lAkdaOpeKA

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

Well, I really don't know how the backup become corrupted, but I know it because I tried to restore it to the NAND and now the 3DS won't load (but the blue led lights up). I asked to a website to repair it, I sent the backup to them and they said that the backup needs to be "rebuilded", but they want €90 (around 102 $)!!!
Also, emuNAND was 9.5, so...
Please, if you know how to fix this, tell me.
Also if I can do something like, I don't know, with the dowgrade pack...

Avalynn

I'm here to learn and help.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I really don't know how the backup become corrupted, but I know it because I tried to restore it to the NAND and now the 3DS won't load (but the blue led lights up). I asked to a website to repair it, I sent the backup to them and they said that the backup needs to be "rebuilded", but they want €90 (around 102 $)!!!
Also, emuNAND was 9.5, so...
Please, if you know how to fix this, tell me.
Also if I can do something like, I don't know, with the dowgrade pack...

Does just the blue LED light up and nothing on either screen? When you hook up your read/writer does it still give you the blue screen with an error code?
Also do you still have your SD card with your emuNAND on it?

If your 3DS was below 8.1 you can try restoring your emuNAND version onto it but it will make your 3DS at whatever your emuNAND was at, 9.5 from what you said.

Update:
Erm i'm actually not sure why you can't just restore your emuNAND to your system since it is a full image of your system. I tried it for the fun of it and my 3DS XL was on 4.5 and I wrote my 9.4 emuNAND to the system and it booted just fine.

lAkdaOpeKA

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Does just the blue LED light up and nothing on either screen? When you hook up your read/writer does it still give you the blue screen with an error code?
Also do you still have your SD card with your emuNAND on it?

If your 3DS was below 8.1 you can try restoring your emuNAND version onto it but it will make your 3DS at whatever your emuNAND was at, 9.5 from what you said.

Update:
Erm i'm actually not sure why you can't just restore your emuNAND to your system since it is a full image of your system. I tried it for the fun of it and my 3DS XL was on 4.5 and I wrote my 9.4 emuNAND to the system and it booted just fine.

Only the led lights up and I never did the reader/writer mod.
I can try restore the EMUNAND, but on 9.5 Gateway doesn't work...

Avalynn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Only the led lights up and I never did the reader/writer mod.
I can try restore the EMUNAND, but on 9.5 Gateway doesn't work...

Wait if you never did the read/writer mod then how do you know your backup is corrupted? Did you just try to restore it via Gateway?
Erm what I am asking is how are you flashing your system NAND?

If you've used gate way to take a system backup that should work too. So check is you don;t have an NAND.bin type files lying around on your SD card even.

lAkdaOpeKA

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Wait if you never did the read/writer mod then how do you know your backup is corrupted? Did you just try to restore it via Gateway?
Erm what I am asking is how are you flashing your system NAND?

If you've used gate way to take a system backup that should work too. So check is you don;t have an NAND.bin type files lying around on your SD card even.

I did the backup and restored it via the Gateway.

I have the backup that I restored in my PC

Avalynn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did the backup and restored it via the Gateway.

I have the backup that I restored in my PC
Well it might still be good then possibly?
You can try restoring it doing the hardware NAND mod, but please be very careful and if you don't feel up to it get someone experienced to do it. Best of luck to you! Since your system won't boot this might be the only way to go.

lAkdaOpeKA

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
You can try restoring it doing the hardware NAND mod, but please be very careful and if you don't feel up to it get someone experienced to do it. Best of luck to you! Since your system won't boot this might be the only way to go.

I know someone that can make it. I'll try.

lAkdaOpeKA

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

But I have another thing to say.
I once tried to put the backup on the emuNAND via the emuNAND tool (https://gbatemp.net/threads/emunand-tool-release-and-support-thread.359239/) but then the emuNAND won't start.
But I tried to check the backup with rom_tool 3.0 and it says it's fine! I mean, what the hell?!?

Avalynn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But I have another thing to say.
I once tried to put the backup on the emuNAND via the emuNAND tool (https://gbatemp.net/threads/emunand-tool-release-and-support-thread.359239/) but then the emuNAND won't start.
But I tried to check the backup with rom_tool 3.0 and it says it's fine! I mean, what the hell?!?

Um... 'rom_tool' is a tool designed to check/manipulate CTR Cartridge Image (CCI) files, mainly for use with Gateway 3DS and associated clones. CCI files are better known to the 3DS Scene as 3DS ROM Dumps, but as "CCI" is the correct term, I'll be using it in place of "ROM". Not system backups ><

Also your system backup "should" work as emuNAND but I've never personal injected my sysNAND as emuNAND. I've only done it the other way around.

lAkdaOpeKA

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Um... 'rom_tool' is a tool designed to check/manipulate CTR Cartridge Image (CCI) files, mainly for use with Gateway 3DS and associated clones. CCI files are better known to the 3DS Scene as 3DS ROM Dumps, but as "CCI" is the correct term, I'll be using it in place of "ROM". Not system backups ><

Also your system backup "should" work as emuNAND but I've never personal injected my sysNAND as emuNAND. I've only done it the other way around.

But still they told me that the backup needs to be "rebuilded", so I don't know if it will work...

Avalynn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But still they told me that the backup needs to be "rebuilded", so I don't know if it will work...

Well try doing the hardware mod and restoring the backup first it won't make it any worse then it already is, and you can always try to restore the emuNAND as a test to. If either of those boots then you know the hardware is good at least and I hope your backup is fine.

Also... I don't know how they can "rebuild" the backup without decrypting it first, maybe there is a way? I know they have made great strides on the software side, I just haven't kept up at all :mellow:

lAkdaOpeKA

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Well try doing the hardware mod and restoring the backup first it won't make it any worse then it already is, and you can always try to restore the emuNAND as a test to. If either of those boots then you know the hardware is good at least and I hope your backup is fine.

Also... I don't know how they can "rebuild" the backup without decrypting it first, maybe there is a way? I know they have made great strides on the software side, I just haven't kept up at all :mellow:

Maybe I'll find something on the Internet, but I'll NEVER spend €90 for an OLD 3DS, because I read in other forums that here in Italy some New 3DSs have 9.0 FW, so when Gateway will fully support it I'll buy it and it's not appropriate to spend a lot of money for something that I will use for less than a year for now.

lAkdaOpeKA

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

WAIT WAIT WAIT! I now remember that I still have a working EmuNand on my SD card, but that's 9.5... Is there any way to flash that and then downgrade (i still have the corrupted backup)?

BerserkLeon

Not-so-new member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WAIT WAIT WAIT! I now remember that I still have a working EmuNand on my SD card, but that's 9.5... Is there any way to flash that and then downgrade (i still have the corrupted backup)?

You cannot downgrade from 9.5. If you could I'd have 3 more exploitable 3DSs.

If your nand backup is truly corrupt then I really doubt some website can rebuild it. If that sort of ability was around I would hope that it would be shared with the public. So don't give money to the sheisters.
You can try flashing your emunand but it won't be downgradeable.

Even if you flash it back and make a nand backup via hard-mod, the new backup can't be used to rebuild the old one, because encryption. With many kinds of encryption, if one character changes, the entire thing changes.
If you manage to get the emunand working, flashed to sysnand, you could at least sell it and try to get another exploitable 3ds.

lAkdaOpeKA

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

If your nand backup is truly corrupt then I really doubt some website can rebuild it. If that sort of ability was around I would hope that it would be shared with the public. So don't give money to the sheisters.

Even if you flash it back and make a nand backup via hard-mod, the new backup can't be used to rebuild the old one, because encryption. With many kinds of encryption, if one character changes, the entire thing changes.
If you manage to get the emunand working, flashed to sysnand, you could at least sell it and try to get another exploitable 3ds.

I once saw that a guy decrypted his NAND backup. Is there any known way to do so?

lAkdaOpeKA

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

Also, if the encryption for the SysNand and the EmuNand is the same? Is there a way?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Batman joined the Trans Justice League
    +2
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    based af
    +2
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Forget the base, get on the roof.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Is that a bat in your buckle or are you just happy to have me
    Wonder "Woman" lol you wonder if they are a woman?
    The Riddler has questions...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Played a little of snow day glad I didn't spend $30
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's asthetic is okay maybe a good $10 grab
    Lol is it a game about doing cocaine?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably in pvp
    I tried Balders Gate II on the PS2 a few minutes ago, not bad lol
    My back catalog of games is like that scene at the end of Indiana Jones where the arc of the covenant is being stored in a giant ass warehouse
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    At least I can will my game catalog to family members
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's your problem now bitches
    Put it in your will that in order to receive any money they have to beat certain games, hard games and super shitty games...
    Say 20 bucks per Ninja Gaiden on the NES lol 60 bucks for all 3
    People you like "Beat level 1 of Ms Pacman" lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hello kitty ds is required
    +1
    Beat Celebrity Death Match on the PS1 omg tried it earlier today .... Absolutely trash
    Like -37 out of 10
    One of the worst games I have ever played
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make them rank up every cod game out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    "Now I know why he took his own life"
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"