Realtime clock feature necessary?

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by Quark^2, May 5, 2009.

May 5, 2009
  1. Quark^2
    OP

Newcomer Quark^2 Member

United States
    I'm gonna grab myself a GBA flash cart soon (once I decide which) for some old classics (on my GBA or to-buy SP).
    It'll most likely be an EZ-Flash IV, however I am unsure how useful the realtime clock feature is.

Which games use it and require it?
    I assume the pokemon games, but can I also do without? Or will catching certain pokemon be impossible without it?

2. Alphypo07

Newcomer Alphypo07 Member

United States
    the pokemon games use rtc. also, i think i read somewhere that Boktai and some of the Megaman Battle Network games use it too.

and for your other questions, i have no clue.

3. Critical_Impact

Member Critical_Impact GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    I think you can get a fake clock, i.e. time progress's as you play the game but once you shut the game off time will stay at what the time was when you saved.

I think there is a way you can reset the time so you can still catch night pokemon as well if you dont want to wait around for night to come.

4. Quark^2
    OP

Newcomer Quark^2 Member

United States
    Is there a universal patcher for stuff like that?
    GBATA does it for 2 Pokemon games, but nothing more.

5. Alphypo07

Newcomer Alphypo07 Member

United States
    i came across this post from an old topic after doing a search.

"Not all of the GBA Pokemon games use a clock. Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald do, Fire Red and Leaf Green do not. I don't know about the others. There are patches for Ruby and Sapphire to enable time based events on flashcarts that don't have clocks. There is no patch for Emerald."

6. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    Since the RTC was added to the cartridge itself, RTC patching tends to be specific for each game, so no there isn't a universal RTC patcher.