REALLY old Mac

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Cablephish, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Cablephish
    OP

Cablephish Show me...

Apr 23, 2008
    Canada
    Canada
    [​IMG]

So, I found one of these babies on the street, and I was wondering if ANYONE has had ANY previous experience with it.
    I know people might tell me to just throw it away, but any insight about it would help.

2. purplesludge

purplesludge anyone have any ideas for this space

Mar 2, 2009
    United States
    wv
    Well if you remember the scene in zoolander you need to break it open to get the files out.

3. Sstew

Sstew GBAtemp's Grim Reaper.

Jul 15, 2008
    United States
    Florida
    I got 2 of them, What do you need to know?
    P.S. That isnt very "old school"

4. Cablephish
    OP

Cablephish Show me...

Apr 23, 2008
    Canada
    Canada
    Well, I can't seem to set it up with the internet, do you have yours connected to the internet?

5. uiaad

uiaad Member

Newcomer
    Dec 23, 2008
    United Kingdom
    When I first saw the topic title i thought some one got their hands on an Apple I

6. xoin

xoin Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 24, 2007
    Netherlands
    Yes I have placed two of those neatly in a line for the garbage man.

7. Praetor192

Praetor192 GBAtemp Regular

May 9, 2008
    Canada
    Canada
    My dad had a slightly updated model of that mac IIRC. As I remember, it has a G3 processor and 128MB (stock) RAM. Might have a superdrive or a combo drive - not sure. Hard drives ranged from 10GBs and up, if I remember.

If it has some extra RAM and an external (or internal) extra hard drive, you can make it a decent machine. Not something to play the latest games on or use as your main work computer, but if you set it up in a corner or closet it would be just fine to act as a media server for iTunes or your files, etc.

It came with OS 8 or OS 9, but it is compatible with OS X (torrent it if you want...) up to OS X 10.3 I believe (maybe 10.4?) and that, while slowing it down some, will get you plenty more usability for the tasks I mentioned above.

It has Ethernet and my dad's had a wireless card, not sure if that one does too.

So in summary, buy a bit of cheap RAM, an external harddrive, and use it as a server or for those relics of mac games (marathon etc).

Don't just toss it, you can still put it to good use.

EDIT:
    seems some of my specs were for a later model machine, the one my dad had. check the wiki article here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMac_G3 and determine which you have.

8. HokageNaruto

HokageNaruto GBAtemp Regular

Nov 21, 2008
    United States
    I remember using these in elementary school lolol. Never thought I would see one again... at least a picture of one
    What are u gonna do with it?