Rayman SNES prototype released to the public

image.jpeg

Last year, GBAtemp reported on the "lost" Rayman prototype, found by Michel Ancel, the creator of the Rayman series. Though screenshots had been shown, there was no mention if the prototype would ever be released. Months later, however, video game archiver Omar Cornut has dumped the prototype Super Nintendo cart, and uploaded it to the Internet, with Ancel's blessing. The game itself, as most betas are, is quite short, but it gives a window into the early production phase of a series that would later find its grounds on the PlayStation 1 and Sega Saturn.

Cornut commented on his preservation efforts, saying the following,
Effectively I have preserved the entire Sega 8-bit library this way, and i think people understand that the intent is preservation and not malicious nor commercially harming. That prototype it is a very early build,” said Cornut. “So the stuff like two-player mode that have been shown in screenshots are not really in this build. Perhaps the ROM contains secrets in which case homebrew hackers will hopefully unearth them soon.

:arrow: Source

S

Saiyan Lusitano

it'll probably run on the same engine as Origins and Legends (UbiArt, I think?) so if those run, a new installment will probably do so as well.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

have you played Origins and Legends yet? if not, do it.
Kinda strange Legends didn't come out for the 3DS, even if it had to be severely downgraded it'd still be a lot of fun.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know, the reason why I wanted to play the first rayman game was actually cause rayman 2. When you collect all 800 lums in the game, you get a bonus mini game that played like the first rayman.

When i played this, i was impressed. So i tried it, and I got frustrated so easily that I just hated it. I dunno how we got 2D to 3D in just 2 games, it played well and control good, just it was difficult for the sake of I DUNNO WHY! :wtf:
have you played Origins and Legends yet? if not, do it.
I own both. I have rayman origins on my psvita, is not bad. But apparently I have Rayman legends on wii u, which everyone said was the worst one to play. Had it pre order before release date and then it got delayed, so i was stuck with it.

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
Kinda strange Legends didn't come out for the 3DS, even if it had to be severely downgraded it'd still be a lot of fun.
Legends needs double the resources on PC as Origins, I'm pretty sure the 3DS just couldn't handle it.
upload_2017-7-4_0-58-15.png
upload_2017-7-4_0-58-41.png

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The game itself, as most betas are, is quite short, but it gives a window into the early production phase of a series that would later find its grounds on the PlayStation 1 and Sega Saturn.

Don't forget N64, that's my history with the Rayman games. I think it was Rayman 2 specifically, and the cartridge was green? It was not gray, that's for sure. Pretty fun game.

TheTrueDream42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Star Fox 2 wasn't a finished game, it was an unfinished prototype. You can claim it was 95% finished but still not in its entirety.
Actually the game was finished, just never release. The ROM that is floating around the internet is a unfinished beta with many things missing from the "final" game. But according to one of the original creators of the game it was about 95% done when they cancelled it but then they went ahead and finished it. There's a full article about it here:
http://www.google.com/url?q=http://...ggNMAA&usg=AFQjCNHxPA20zCMJhZqhGE8rxU8PkahYrQ
That is why everyone is excited about the game coming out one the SNES mini is not just because it's an official release but because they are likely using the completed and unleaked "Masters Edison" of the game.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
List of good rayman games.
Rayman 2 The Great Escape
Rayman 3 Hoodlum havoc (GBA version)
Rayman Origins + Legends.

THAT IS A-L-L!

Though I wonder why Rayman 3 got HD version, but not rayman 2 I mean sure it got PS2, 3DS and stuff but not console HD.... UBISOFT? :unsure:

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
List of good rayman games.
Rayman 2 The Great Escape
Rayman 3 Hoodlum havoc (GBA version)
Rayman Origins + Legends.

THAT IS A-L-L!

Though I wonder why Rayman 3 got HD version, but not rayman 2 I mean sure it got PS2, 3DS and stuff but not console HD.... UBISOFT? :unsure:
I enjoyed whichever one I had on the Gameboy Color. I still remember the low-friction stages in the region called Airy Tunes.

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally, if a Rayman game isn't like 2 I don't care for it. Origins had a good soundtrack, tho. Glouglou!

Last edited by Pluupy,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    straferz @ straferz: Anybody know why this is happening to my ACWW town...