granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
raytextak.jpg
A new game rating has been filed by the Australia Classification Board today. The game is tentatively titled "Rayman 3D". This could potentially mean anything. However, with the upcoming Rayman Origins for PS3 and 360, one possibility is a 3DS port of the game. Rayman Origins is an episodic sidescrolling prequel to the main series of Rayman games. It covers the events of Rayman's creation as well as how he and Globox became friends. It also uses totally 2D art, designed specifically for HD consoles.

Another bit of possible proof that Origins will get a 3DS port surfaced on Ubisoft's official blog for Origins a few months ago. They stated in a short entry that in addition to the game coming to PS3 and 360 in the form of downloadable episodes, Ubisoft would consider putting it on other platforms. They specifically named 3DS, Wii, PC, and iPad as considerations for other platforms. The rating also mentions that the game is "multiplatform", further giving this theory some evidence.

On the flip side though, this always has the possibilities of being something else entirely. It should be noted that the GBA got Rayman 1 as a launch title. DS got Rayman 2 in the form of Rayman DS near after its own launch. If you take that trend into consideration, perhaps this will be a port of Rayman 3 on 3DS, optimized to use the 3D effect? Or perhaps even a totally new Rayman game? Or something totally unexpected, perhaps not even 3DS-related at all. At the moment, it's looking as though the Rayman Origins rumor might be the most valid, though one wonders why they call it "Rayman 3D" instead of Rayman Origins (since the game has already been revealed for the HD consoles)...

At any rate, you can probably expect an official followup announcement from Ubisoft pretty soon. Perhaps within the next couple of days. There's always the possibility of this being just a rumor and a mistake on the part of the ratings board who listed it, but that would be a pretty huge mess-up on their part. We shall see soon though. It should also be noted that Rayman Origins Episode 1 was intended to be released on PSN and Xbox Live for the two HD consoles this Christmas. There has been no followup stories about the game since around E3 though, and no advertisement from what can be seen. It would appear that the game may be getting a delay until next year. Perhaps they are going to spread the release out over several consoles and decided delayed the game due to porting reasons. The 3DS in particular is launching around March. [/p]
icon11.gif
Source #1
icon11.gif
Source #2

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
im still quite upset that they went PSN/XBL game way - hate downloading games.

anyway, maybe this will be quite a nice "sorry" on their behalf with respect to me if it were true.

i still remember the PS1 game 2D classic ... i DO have it somewhere laying around, feel like finding it and playing it .

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well if the game is coming to the other systems as well, it will probably still be download only. I'm just glad that Ubisoft is trying to bring back a more "traditional" Rayman game, as opposed to continually milking the Rabbids and shoving their shovelware crap up everyone's asses. I'm opposed to download-only, i want physical copies of the games i buy, but if that's what it takes to get us a new real Rayman game then fine...

I still have my original DOS copy of Rayman btw. Epic game with gorgeous graphics and kickass gameplay (really hard too)! Still fire it up in dosbox every once in a while.
biggrin.gif

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Perhaps a Nintendo handheld release is the only way to ensure it does moderately well.

The majority of people using the Xbox will hate it because it's not a shooter, and the majority of people on the PS3 will hate it because it's 2D.

geoflcl

Permanent GBAtemp Newbie
Trophies
Website
loganderb.in
XP
Country
United States
It's sort of a Ubisoft trend to name all of their Nintendo system launch Rayman ports after the host system.

The GBA port of the original Rayman became Rayman Advance. The DS port of Rayman 2 became Rayman DS. If Ubi's trend continues, this may be Rayman 3 ported to the 3DS. Rayman 3 was a great deal of fun, and is quite underrated, in my humble opinion.

EDIT: Oh dear, I have got to start reading the original post before posting. Everything I just said has been stated four posts above.
frown.gif

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
at first i thought tht this game would be rated mature cuz its on the 3ds but good news... one of the top games for the DS was rayman DS (haven't played it yet)
u would wonder how 3d action games would look like esp with colorful scenery... its enuf to make u buy a 3ds

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
shakirmoledina said:
at first i thought tht this game would be rated mature cuz its on the 3ds but good news... one of the top games for the DS was rayman DS (haven't played it yet)
u would wonder how 3d action games would look like esp with colorful scenery... its enuf to make u buy a 3ds
Although i have hope for a 3DS Rayman 3 port, do yourself a favor and don't play Rayman DS. It's a horrid port of Rayman 2, almost unplayable.

ruslan1011

Trophies
XP
Country
Oh come now, Rayman DS wasn't -that- bad. I'll admit it was probably the worst version of the game, but it wasn't what I'd call unplayable.

Though I will admit the iPhone version was quite a lot better.

And I'm really excited for Rayman 3DS, and I am very sincerely hoping it is a port of Rayman 3, though something tells me it won't be, mostly due to how Rayman 2 was ported to absolutely everything else before it was ported to DS (I have at least five different versions of the damn game), and Rayman 3 hasn't had any sort of release or port since it came out. But you never know...

(holycrapfirstpost)

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
When I read the title, it sounded like it was going to be about some sort of controversy, such as Australia banning the game or something. Oh well.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ruslan1011 said:
Oh come now, Rayman DS wasn't -that- bad. I'll admit it was probably the worst version of the game, but it wasn't what I'd call unplayable.

Though I will admit the iPhone version was quite a lot better.
I beg to disagree. I've played through the DS version no less than 3 times, it is truly horrible. I adore Rayman 2 on almost any other system, but the DS version was insulting. The only part that wasn't completely ruined was the music and voices. Other than that, the graphics were muddy and hard to discern thanks to horrible texturing (DS doesn't support texture filtering, but that's no excuse not to redo the textures themselves, since DS carts hold far more data than N64 ones). The controls and framerate though are the two things that kill the game. I could take a 30fps framerate (half the original) if it were stable, but unfortunately it isn't. The game constantly dips to almost single digit levels in framerate and jumps higher and lower at its own whim (depending on what is being rendered onscreen at the specific time). The controls are insanely unresponsive too. There's usually what feels like a full second delay in the time you press a button and the time it happens onscreen. Good luck getting diagonals to work when you want to, even on the touchscreen analog stick. The funny thing is that the lag that the graphics receive are one of the reasons the controls are so broken, the controls actually lag along with the graphics. I've had numerous fall-through-floor glitches (among others) as well. Collision glitches with platforms are also common, especially when using walking or flying shells (pray you don't graze the side of a wall, it will send you flying madly every which way). I'll also mention the camera, already rather bad in the original game and its variations, is even WORSE here.

I've played every single version of Rayman 2, and i've had my share of bad ports (it's still not as bad as Sonic Genesis GBA). But it IS bad. If you want an example of how bad, try playing any of the flying bullet shell levels near the end. Only a godly amount of patience prevented me from doing this (and i had to dunk my thumbs in ice water afterwards)-
hate2.gif

iPhone version was very hard to play from what little i've tried. I don't think you can have a good experience with an action game without physical buttons. But it seemed like an extremely well done port graphically and all. They did the best with what they had. No excuse for messing up the DS version. The DS version though wasn't made by ubisoft, but DC Studios, that may be the reason for the suckage.

I have some hope for a Rayman 3 3DS port, as long as Ubisoft works on it and doesn't send it off to a half-assed third party to port. Love Rayman 3, it didn't get much attention when it came out. It's not very long or hard, but it's good solid fun. And it has some of the most gorgeous graphics of last gen (no surprise there). Heck, played on a modern PC with the resolution jacked up, it's STILL one of the prettiest game even today.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks Goli, so we now have a confirmed system. Interesting indeed. I'm not going to rule anything out, though i think Rayman 3 isn't too bad of a guess. I don't mind being wrong of course. We'll see. At any rate, it's always great to see more 3DS stuff, and i adore classic Rayman platformers, hopefully this is a platformer and not a party game!
biggrin.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: leo @'d me in a thread about his last dream, stating he was passionately making out with a guy...