Rarest GBA E-Reader E3 2002 Promo cards located!

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by chango, Jul 28, 2011.

Jul 28, 2011
  1. chango
    OP

Member chango GBAtemp Regular

Syria
    What's up yall,

I found this linked on a small game forum that I visit (Nowhere near as fresh as GBATemp, of course [​IMG].

Apparently the e-reader card inside is worth $5,000.

That's crazy! I mean I can understand the old NES tournament cartirdges being so expensive but I guess anything's possible considering the things that I've seen sell on Pawn Stars.

This is a card that was for the old game boy advance e-reader add-on that was only available a few years. I had completely forgotten about the GBA e-reader until I saw this auction.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=130554583755

Its from E3 2002 and was given away as a promo and I guess they were running some sort of contest at the nintendo booth so everyone tore open the packs of cards.

So this one is sealed and amazingly valuable for the fact that its literally a pack of 4 cards, it just blew me away.

What do you guys think? Any hardcore collectors in the house? What would you pay for an item like this for your collection?

2. SamAsh07

Member SamAsh07 GBAtemp Addict

Bahrain
    Current bid is $1. I lol'd

3. Blaze163

Member Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

United Kingdom
    The card inside MIGHT be worth 5k. Only if it's the Kirby Winner card. Auction says so itself. I guess for a few dollars it's worth a go but don't get your hopes up.

4. Shorkio

Member Shorkio GBAtemp Regular

Finland
    Doesn't ship to Finland, so I can't bid [​IMG]
    Not that I would be interested [​IMG]

5. SamAsh07

Bahrain
    Someone mind enlightening me with what all the fuss is about this E-Reader thing?? And what Kirby Winner??

6. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    Read the Ebay description.

7. Schlupi

Member Schlupi Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™

United States
    It's probably not worth 5000 in prize money like it was at E3. It was most likely just for the one event...

Although for a collector this would be desirable. Probably not 5000 bucks, though. >_>

8. SamAsh07

Bahrain
    So the person who buys and opens it, may find a Kirby Winners Card which is worth $5000?? How they gonna get that cash?? From Nintendo? Lol. Not interested.

9. chango
    OP

Syria

Did I read it wrong? I thought that the auction said that all of the cards were destroyed at E3 by Nintendo so the surviving ones that weren't scanned/punched out are worth 5000?

10. Blaze163

Member Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

United Kingdom
    It's only one card that's worth the five grand, the Kirby Contest Winner card. Since the pack is unopened there's no way to know if it's in there or not.

11. chango
    OP

Syria

Ahh, gotcha. So how much is just the unopened pack of cards worth?

12. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
  13. chango
    OP

Syria
    So the cards that would be worth a theoretical $5,000 are these two?

UNDUMPED E3 2002 PROMOTIONAL CARDS: 2 items

The remaining two cards are wanted dead or alive; these are the alternative versions of the “Kirby Contest” Cards,
    handed out at E3 2002.
    There are three versions available of the “Kirby Contest” cards: it may either show a “1st
    Prize”, a “2nd
    Prize” or a “Not a
    Winner” message. The winning versions are very, very, very rare and they still remain undumped, but we are patient
    people, and our affiliates and their descendants will wait for these dumps for the next couple of millenniums.

Kirby Contest Card (serial 00-A001) “1st
    Prize” version
    Kirby Contest Card (serial 00-A001) “2nd
    Prize” version

14. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    I usually dismiss any prices collectors of various things will pay for things but I guess yeah those two rare cards "worth" the money.

15. durpy

Newcomer durpy Member

United States
    after all these years do you think nintendo would still bother awarding you a prize even if you did happen to get the winner card? assuming there still exist ones that haven't been claimed.

assuming anyone is interested in it i bet the auction will end at $30 with the seller canceling the auction because it didn't fetch a price he hoped for.

i forgot these things even existed.

16. WolfSpider

Member WolfSpider GBAtemp Regular

United States
    If he was soo confident about tht winning card being in there he would just open it himself.

jalaneme likes this.
  17. dickfour

Banned dickfour Banned

United States
    No one is buying rare ereader cards for big bucks. If they ever were worth a lot of money the seller should have got the money back then.

18. chango
    OP

Syria
    Actually this is an untrue statement. Back in 2002 these could be found all over the place, Nintendo gave out a bunch. So this pack of cards sold for less than a dollar back then. The value in it now is the fact that only a couple a year show up on ebay. Well that and the fact that its unopened. I did a bit more searching on ebay, there was a Buy It Now for the same item for $300 that closed a few days ago. Granted, it didn't sell, but that seems to be the average going price. I read a thread on another Nintendo collector's forum (is it against the rules to post the names of other forums here?) that was bumped every time someone decided to part with their sealed pack and tossed it up on ebay. They seemed to be pretty sought after for the hardcore collectors.

No, its not about Nintendo awarding a prize.

At E3, Nintendo awarded prizes at their booth when they scanned the Kirby card. If you were 1st or 2nd place, you got the prize right then and there. It wasn't cash.

Nowadays, because the cards are so impossible to find, it is worth a shitload of money.

If you CAN find one (A first or second place winning card), it is usually damaged, because at E3, Nintendo punched holes in and ripped the winning cards so people couldn't claim the prize again.

Thus the $5000 (supposed) value is because any winning card found today in a new pack would not be damaged.

Oh, and apparently piracy groups never dumped it, so there's always that too, not that its valuable.

Geez, it took me 24 hours to figure out everything about this card. That's obsession. LOL.

19. darkrock

Member darkrock Advanced Member

Italy
  20. Rockman GFF

Member Rockman GFF GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Good luck with them actually completing the Worldwide set of Card dumps.

There's still lots of Japanese Cards not contributed which are promotional ones. I personally think DATs are unnecessary in this day and age. The person that actually runs that place doesn't actually do any of the dumps just so you know. And if you're someone that he thinks that has any missing Cards, he will harass you for them. I've also had a "no thanks" message on that site for years, just because I wouldn't give out any of my rare Japanese dumps that they still don't have.