Rare wiiU issue with SD cards

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by yoshisman8, May 17, 2016.

1. yoshisman8
    OP

yoshisman8 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 27, 2016
    I have been experiencing a very off problem with the wiiU and Sd cards. The console seems to believe the SD card is write protected, even when it isnt. I've tried with multiple SD cards, formatting the sd cards, everything really. But the wiiU just denies them. It can read data, but it cant write to the SD cards (which is vital for saving games or exporting data.

Any help is greatly appreciated :(

EDIT: Thank you very much Gamequest1! The problem was the wiiu's write protection detecting pin was bent out and thus didnt work.

Last edited by yoshisman8, May 17, 2016
  2. Tortitamal

Tortitamal Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 1, 2013
    Mexico
    look at your SD card, it has a sliding thing where it says lock, slide it and try again to write........

3. yoshisman8
    OP

yoshisman8 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 27, 2016
    I have checked, the lock is not on. If it where because of the physical switch i would have noticed

4. Tortitamal

Tortitamal Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 1, 2013
    Mexico
    So you can write to it on your pc but not on your wii u?
    You formated it to Fat32? It is a SDHC card right?

5. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    it could be the actual switch in the console that detects if the SD card is locked may be jammed/dirty, try inserting and removing the SD a bunch of times see if it kicks back into action, then try using some compressed air to try blow in the SD slot to clear it out (you could try poking something in, but you risk bending the SD contacts and making things worse) and if all else fails you would probably have to open the system and bridge the write protect pins on the SD slot

(ofc do the obligatory "format your SD" "try using this tool instead" etc etc then come back and read this post again :P)

Last edited by gamesquest1, May 17, 2016
  6. yoshisman8
    OP

yoshisman8 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 27, 2016
    yep, the Wiiu can even read data and load backups/loadiine/homebrew launcher but it cant write at all

7. Seita

Seita GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 4, 2015
    The Wii U sd reader is very sensitive. I have an sd card that works flwaless in my pc but won't work for Wii U and 3ds. If you're using microsd, I suggest you look for another microsd reader.

8. yoshisman8
    OP

yoshisman8 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 27, 2016
    I didnt know the wiiU had a SD write protection bridge, im going to try to check the actual port to see if anything is out of place

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Its definitely not that because the SD worked perfectly a few days ago, i even beat bayonetta 1 a day before it stopped working properly

9. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    most SD readers have it, its part of the SD standard (that's what the lock tab on the SD card is for) basically the tab is nothing but a little bit of plastic that hits the switch inside to disable write protection, if the switch inside is damaged(not making proper contact for whatever reason) then write protection is never disabled and you cannot write to the SD

but sure try the more obvious stuff first like testing with other SD cards etc to rule out any issues with the SD card itself

Last edited by gamesquest1, May 17, 2016
  10. yoshisman8
    OP

yoshisman8 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 27, 2016
    i saw the little bridge, so it has to make contact then? i'll try pushing it closer with a pin needle in case it got bent.

11. KillzXGaming

KillzXGaming GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 2, 2016
    United States
    Same problem i have. I have to use a normal SD Card since no micro sd cards won't work.

12. yoshisman8
    OP

yoshisman8 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 27, 2016
    that might be a compatibility problem. i read some adapters/microSD cards dont work on wiiU