Rap Music

Bob Evil

The Department of Home-Made Insecurity
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I listen to rap ... but nothing produced after 1994 ... it's all just bragging to a beat now
frown.gif

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Nope..never liked it..I really hate that MTV-full of naked girls-many big cars-talking shit rap..but I respect oldschool rap that meant something, that had message to sent..Never liked it, but I respect it!!

cris92x

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But the bragging is a part of hip hop culture and rap.... but yeah its gotten way outa hand
And btw... Mike Jones is a horrible rapper in my opinion... how can you group him to busta rhymes

cris92x

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Toni Plutonij said:
Nope..never liked it..I really hate that MTV-full of naked girls-many big cars-talking shit rap..but I respect oldschool rap that meant something, that had message to sent..Never liked it, but I respect it!!
Not all rap has naked girls or talkin shit, ever hear some emenem songs such as When Im gone? nice song talks about his baby girl or Toy Soildiers ; he raps about how his friend got shot...

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Rap now is pale parody of what it used to be. There's the odd one or two with some real talent, I like Mos Def alot, but mostly it's commercial cock flashing. I still listen to alot of the 80's and early 90's stuff though. I can't even say I hate all gangster rap cos I'm a huge fan of Ice T. My personal favourite rap band of all time is Public Enemy, and my favourite hip-hop band is De La Soul.

xJonny

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Toni Plutonij said:

Me too.

Digeman

Trophies
XP
Country
I don't listen to a song or a group just because of what genre it is, it doesn't matter what genre a song is, as long as i like it, i'll listen to it.
Anyways i do listen to rap and recently believe it or not we've gotten an exellent rapper here in Sweden that's gotten a complete different sound than other rappers i've heard before.

I suggest you look him up, he's called Adam Tensta (search for the song "My cool" or "They wanna know").

Toni Plutonij

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Don't get me wrong, I don't think that all rappers use that showoff in their videos with naked girls, lots of expensive alcohol, big jewlery and stuff..and talk crap..

I think that rap started as a social feedback with a message..(it doesn't mean that rappers should be poor)..but rap isn't about all that crap that they made it to be now..Look at that asshole JayZ or that Nelly guy (even P- Diddy/Puff daddy or what is it called these days), 50 cent..They made some R'n'B to Rap/Hip-Hop hybrid, calling it rap and selling it to the kids that doesn't know better..

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Digeman said:
I don't listen to a song or a group just because of what genre it is, it doesn't matter what genre a song is, as long as i like it, i'll listen to it.
Anyways i do listen to rap and recently believe it or not we've gotten an exellent rapper here in Sweden that's gotten a complete different sound than other rappers i've heard before.

I suggest you look him up, he's called Adam Tensta (search for the song "My cool" or "They wanna know").

Cool, cheers for that suggestion. I'll try and hunt some down.

Toni Plutonij

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Where's that rage? Where's that fury that led rappers into writing songs? I couldn't care less into something that JayZ sing, about his big houses and many womens, and how he has a perfect life with lots of drugs and alcohol, and he has all that fun in life and party all the time, and his roof is on fire, while I have/or will have to work all day just to grab some living..
It's just shit to me, and doesn't represent anything........

I'm all into different kind of music..

Citric

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Toni Plutonij said:
Where's that rage? Where's that fury that led rappers into writing songs? I couldn't care less into something that JayZ sing, about his big houses and many womens, and how he has a perfect life with lots of drugs and alcohol, and he has all that fun in life and party all the time, and his roof is on fire, while I have/or will have to work all day just to grab some living..
It's just shit to me, and doesn't represent anything........

I'm all into different kind of music..
Get yourself some Atmosphere, especially the new album (When Life Gives You Lemons, You Paint That Shit Gold). It's pretty much the exact opposite of everything you hate about Jay-Z. And totally awesome.

I'm rather fond of rap myself, but I can see why people wouldn't like it. If you only listen to oldschool stuff though, I can't get behind that. Lots of new and more underground names that deserve your attention, maybe if everyone starts paying attention to the less popular but more, how shall I say, 'real' acts the genre can revive itself and be a lot more interesting.

So go listen to Atmosphere. Right now.

Toni Plutonij

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
As I said, I'm all into different kind of music!! I'm just making my statement that I HATE what rap become, and that I HATE the names that are currently on the scene..
On the other hand, I do NOT listen to the rap (any kind) but I deeply respect oldschool, with meaning and point..

I'm a Punker, or you can label me as a Punk-Rocker..but I know stuff..
Anyhow..I'll get some Atmosphere, and check it out, if you think they are so goo, I have nothing to loose!!
wink.gif

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It seems I echo the sentiments of previous posters in this regard.

Not all modern stuff is bad though and forgoing rose tinted glasses it was not exactly uniformly brilliant in earlier on, I will freely "admit" to it being far harder to find something of merit in this day and age however.

I suppose this the name listing part. Binary Star I thought were good (although they are equally susceptible for the much maligned bragging rap) and a lot of the ska, reggae, jazz, punk, blues and so forth crossover bands have a few good songs around, most of the time I do not pay attention to names and if I hear it again so be it and if I do not I have several thousand hours of other stuff to listen to.

beedog19

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm really into rap, but most of the popular stuff now is just terrible. It's catchy and it's funny at times but overall it's pretty bad. But just because you don't like the bad songs on the radio doesn't mean that it's a bad genre, it just doesn't have the best representation right now.

There are plenty of underground rappers that my friends show me who have a lot of talent and a few current popular ones that I don't feel ashamed to listen to.

Edit: Sometimes I just don't make much sense, this was one of those times...

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I hate rap. In my high school, literally everyone listens to it. I find it shit, especially souljaboy.

Maybe because I listen to rock, power metal, etc, but I really don't see what's so good about rap. And I only heard the new rap, so I can't give an honest opinion about the older rap, but that's just how it is.....

For me, Anything but country> New rap.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: :rofl2: