R4i that does not need program?

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by kev1365, Sep 9, 2010.

Sep 9, 2010
  1. kev1365
    OP

Newcomer kev1365 Newbie

United States
    Hello,
    someone told me he has found a kind of R4i that does not need any kind of program to function. you just drag the games to the memory and it works. does anyone know anything about this?

2. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Yeah, it's called "bullshit". Every cart needs firmware files on it.

As for just dragging ROMs on and they work... that's actually how any decent flash cart nowadays should work...

If the problem is some games (like pokemon and such) don't work and you're tiredo f having to find specific patches, then you need to get a card with support.

1 - An R4. JUST "R4"! Not R4i, not R4-gold, not R4-sdhc, not R4-grandma-nipple-dishwasher, not R4-chicken-fingers, JUST A PLAIN R4. Then you can use the Wood R4 firmware to play the latest games. An original R4 model will run you $6 on shoptemp.com, but has a 2GB memory card limit, and doesn't work on the DSi.

2 - An Acekard 2i, which also has proper support for the latest games (with the AKAIO firmware). This will run you $15 on shoptemp, and it supports SDHC cards up to 16/32GB, and works on the DSi (though the recent firmware 1.4.1 that just got released blocks it for now).

3 - A Supercard DSTwo. This has official support and all that, but also includes the ability to play GBA games. This is $35 on shoptemp.

Don't get any R4-knockoff, PLEASE. You will be kicking yourself later.