Hacking R4i-SDHC won't update.

Jmgraham

Trophies
XP
Country
A few months ago, shortly after buying R4i-SDHC 3DS 4.5 I ran the built in Wifi updater. It apparently downloaded an older version of the firmware downgrading my card to pre-1.4.4 compatibility, changing the boot game from "Bomberman" back to "Metroid", and now will not show the upgrade option even with newer firmware as it believes that it is already up to date. I've found a couple posts on the web of others who had the same thing happen, but no resolutions to it. Does anyone know of a way to force an update or have any suggestions for how to fix this? Thanks!

EDIT:Solved solution at the bottom.
http://gbatemp.net/threads/r4i-sdhc-wont-update.349720/#post-4687992
Haha! I figured out how to fix this issue after fiddling with it countless times!

Ok, If you bought, a "R4i-SDHC 3DS 4.5" labeled r4i-sdhc.com and you tried to update the card, and the card "downgraded" itself, now displaying Metroid Prime when it used to display Bomberman, and under the Upgrade section in options all you can see it the following: "Support Model: NDSL, NDSi 1.44, 3DS 4.4" this should fix your card. Download the following update, unzip the files onto the sd card like any other update, go into settings on the card and press upgrade and start. When it is all finished, restart, you should now have the Bomberman logo and be back on 4.5 compatibility. Now that the card is no longer messed up, go to r4i-sdhc.com, download the newest firmware (currently 1.69b) and replace everything on the SD card with it (1.69b does not require you to go into settings and upgrade). After this you will be completely up to date and working. Cheers.

R4i-SDHC 3DS 4.5 card stuck on 4.4 compatibility fix: http://filetrip.net/dl?Td5kqvcepV

Incase the download goes down. To create this fix extract all the files of update 1.66b, replace only "flash.r4i" and "version.txt" in the folder "R4iMenu" with the files of the same name from update 1.67b.

Does anyone know if the v4.5 card can be updated to support the latest 3ds firmware? V6.1.0?
Haha! I figured out how to fix this issue after fiddling with it countless times!

Ok, If you bought, a "R4i-SDHC 3DS 4.5" labeled r4i-sdhc.com and you tried to update the card, and the card "downgraded" itself, now displaying Metroid Prime when it used to display Bomberman, and under the Upgrade section in options all you can see it the following: "Support Model: NDSL, NDSi 1.44, 3DS 4.4" this should fix your card. Download the following update, unzip the files onto the sd card like any other update, go into settings on the card and press upgrade and start. When it is all finished, restart, you should now have the Bomberman logo and be back on 4.5 compatibility. Now that the card is no longer messed up, go to r4i-sdhc.com, download the newest firmware (currently 1.69b) and replace everything on the SD card with it (1.69b does not require you to go into settings and upgrade). After this you will be completely up to date and working. Cheers.

R4i-SDHC 3DS 4.5 card stuck on 4.4 compatibility fix: http://filetrip.net/dl?Td5kqvcepV

Incase the download goes down. To create this fix extract all the files of update 1.66b, replace only "flash.r4i" and "version.txt" in the folder "R4iMenu" with the files of the same name from update 1.67b.

Yamagushi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Different issue, that was stuck cards while they were still supporting them. Now its an issue of the 4.5 card is actually no longer supported.

DFlash

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Great thread Yamagushi! I gave up on the card at the start of the year. Found your post today and it worked!

Unfortunately, I cannot upgrade past 3DS 5.0 now. (The Start button will not show even with the full 1.67b kernel but the cart shows an upgrade.) I didn't read up to see that r4i sdhc 3ds is now obsolete to the 3ds rts cart - so I tried updating to 1.75b kernel before trying to upgrade 1.70b and everything below. Was the hybrid 1.66b/1.67b the highest the card was meant to go or is my card stuck?

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Yamagushi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunately the card is no longer supported past 5.0, the latest firmware updates are actually for a newer RTS model. So nothing anyone can do there.

DFlash

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Unfortunately the card is no longer supported past 5.0, the latest firmware updates are actually for a newer RTS model. So nothing anyone can do there.

Ok, that's what I figured. Talk about a short lived card!

Have you tried your trick but using the flash.r4i and version.txt from update v1.68b?
My friend has the same cart and like me left it alone for months. We've both stopped updating our 3DS machines. Maybe I can bring their cart to 5.1.

Yamagushi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, that's what I figured. Talk about a short lived card!

Have you tried your trick but using the flash.r4i and version.txt from update v1.68b?
My friend has the same cart and like me left it alone for months. We've both stopped updating our 3DS machines. Maybe I can bring their cart to 5.1.
This is only meant to fix accidentially downgraded carts. After you get past that you can just update normally. I wouldn't try tricking any of the newer firmwares that aren't made for it could brick the card.

DFlash

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This is only meant to fix accidentially downgraded carts. After you get past that you can just update normally. I wouldn't try tricking any of the newer firmwares that aren't made for it could brick the card.

Sorry, I guess I didn't communicate my situation properly enough. I found myself in the same situation as you. Chose Wifi upgrade and my 3DS v4.5 downgraded just the same. I ran your fix - kernel 1.66b with 2 files from kernel 1.67b. That worked beautifully and since I haven't upgrade my 3DS in months, my cart works again. I tried manually upgrading via kernel 1.75b but of course it wouldn't work. Tried several versions below - including all versions from 1.68b and 1.70b and I still cannot upgrade the cart's firmware even though it recognizes an upgrade is available. The strange thing is if I try kernel 1.67b it also thinks that there is an upgrade but no start button.

I am going to assist my friend who has the same cart as me. I'm hoping to get him to a further point than I got. I'm glad my cart can now play on 3DS 5.0 but that appears to be the end of the line for me.

So back to my original question, once the fix is run my cart should've been able to update its firmware all the way to firmware available in kernel v1.75?

Edit: Have not tried wireless upgrade again since I sort of fixed my cart.

Yamagushi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"So back to my original question, once the fix is run my cart should've been able to update its firmware all the way to firmware available in kernel v1.75?"

Correct. I think 1.67b is the last possible one, which you are probably on if it shows an update but wont let you do anything. Everything after that, you get the new software for the cart, but no firmware update for further support. The newer ones should block you from using the firmware update inside.

DFlash

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
"So back to my original question, once the fix is run my cart should've been able to update its firmware all the way to firmware available in kernel v1.75?"

Correct. I think 1.67b is the last possible one, which you are probably on if it shows an update but wont let you do anything. Everything after that, you get the new software for the cart, but no firmware update for further support. The newer ones should block you from using the firmware update inside.

I did a little digging:

"R4i SDHC V1.68b released on May 15th, 2013
1. Support upgrade for 3DS 5.1 (Only for 3DS 4.5 and 3DS RTS card). "

So it looks like my cart should've supported the 1.68b upgrade. The date release coincides with the day they stopped production of the 3DS 4.5/5.0 cart.

For the hell of it, I'm going to try your method using the 2 files from kernel 1.68b. If I brick it, my friend can have my cart as it looks like I'm in the market for a new cart anyway for the holiday season. Maybe one that can actually play 3DS roms. :D

Yamagushi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright yea, I believe it was 5.1 support it ended. That one should work for your card and allow you to update. I'm wondering if there was an update between that you are missing.

DFlash

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I took flash.r4i and version.txt from 1.68b and did the upgrade on my friend's cart. The update went well. Just have to grab a game that has the 5.1.0U update to see if the cart actually works. Hopefully this additional information will help someone else push their cart a bit further.

Still have no idea why my cart won't upgrade from 1.67b to 1.68b. Lol, I'm now tempted to downgrade.

EpikJimmer

Screw hater
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I have a whole different story

I have an R4i SDHC 1.4 and a ds lite...
I downloaded the latest firmware and it has no start button on Upgrade!
And, yes I tried it with EVERY single firmware that exists and still no start button!
PLEASE HELP!!! I've been struggling for 3 straight days!!!!!!!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Ok good chatting, I'm off to the bar, to shoot some pool, nighty night. +1