R4i SDHC - Save Problem

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Xpytrov, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Xpytrov
    OP

Xpytrov Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 9, 2009
    Hi there- First post.

I did a bit of searching but couln't find my issue on these forums. Apologies if I missed it.

I lost my r4 and DSL about a year ago. Recently I bought a used DS lite and (after somewhat spotty research) bought an R4i SDHC card online. I installed the R4i kernel from www.r4i-sdhc.com

First off- I know this is a clone. I hear it's one of the better ones but don't need to be told that I bought hastily. I didn't know R4 had died and this was a knock-off. I'm still playing on an DSLite, and I dont think I care about DSi games.

THE PROBLEM -

I was playing Order of Ecclesia for a few weeks, got right to the end- and decided to take a break and play a few other games on my card. When I returned to Order of Ecc, my card wrote a new save file for the game. Over-writing the one I'd put all the work into.

This hadn't happened before, and a few other games (Mario Cart, New SMB, Dawn of Sorrow) have not had this problem - yet. I'm really pissed because I dont want to be playing the game again only to have it randomly overwrite my efforts on startup.

As I've read my card is probably a DSTTi clone, would downloading its kernel help?

I see all the forum excitment about the 1.4 update that supposed to be coming for R4i-SDHC, but that's just to do with DSi's right? This is not going to help me?

Its possible my card just sucks, and I'll have to buy a CycloDS Evolution (the best I can see from my brief research) but I'd appreciate any advice towards salvaging this card if it's possible.

Thanks in advice for any helpful comments.

2. iFish

iFish Slower than a 90s modem

Jul 11, 2009
    Canada
    Montreal, QC
    if you wanna get a flash card for you ds lite i would get edge becasue its a clone of cyclo and it works mostly just as good and you can snag it for 10 $ and it has perfect game compablity

and as for you r4i-sdhc i dont know because i dont own one why would you want a dsi card for a ds lite just get a cheap ds lite card

3. Xpytrov
    OP

Xpytrov Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 9, 2009
    Got the R4i for a really good deal actually, as I said- Just thought I was getting the new R4 (durrrrrr.)

With further searching it seems Order of Ecclesia has a tendency to corrupt in Dracula's castle. What a freaking pain. Oh well.

One other queststion to anyone else who uses this card - Should I use the R4 or R4i kernel from this download site? As I'm using it on a Lite, would the simple R4 be sufficient / more suitable?

4. iFish

iFish Slower than a 90s modem

Jul 11, 2009
    Canada
    Montreal, QC
    maybe try both? but if your using the r4i i would use the r4i kernal

5. Leonidas

Leonidas GBAtemp Fan

Aug 27, 2009
    Slovenia
    sLOVEnia
    Are you sure the save file is actually gone? From what I recall the latest R4i SDHC kernel has multiple save slots as an option. Maybe you have accidentally used an empty save slot. I don't recall any save corruption issus with OOE on my R4 sdhc. If it's a known issue then I'm really glad it didn't happen.