R4i SDHC - Save Problem

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Xpytrov, Sep 9, 2009.

Sep 9, 2009

R4i SDHC - Save Problem by Xpytrov at 10:21 AM (1,672 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. Xpytrov
    OP

Newcomer Xpytrov Newbie

United Kingdom
    Hi there- First post.

I did a bit of searching but couln't find my issue on these forums. Apologies if I missed it.

I lost my r4 and DSL about a year ago. Recently I bought a used DS lite and (after somewhat spotty research) bought an R4i SDHC card online. I installed the R4i kernel from www.r4i-sdhc.com

First off- I know this is a clone. I hear it's one of the better ones but don't need to be told that I bought hastily. I didn't know R4 had died and this was a knock-off. I'm still playing on an DSLite, and I dont think I care about DSi games.

THE PROBLEM -

I was playing Order of Ecclesia for a few weeks, got right to the end- and decided to take a break and play a few other games on my card. When I returned to Order of Ecc, my card wrote a new save file for the game. Over-writing the one I'd put all the work into.

This hadn't happened before, and a few other games (Mario Cart, New SMB, Dawn of Sorrow) have not had this problem - yet. I'm really pissed because I dont want to be playing the game again only to have it randomly overwrite my efforts on startup.

As I've read my card is probably a DSTTi clone, would downloading its kernel help?

I see all the forum excitment about the 1.4 update that supposed to be coming for R4i-SDHC, but that's just to do with DSi's right? This is not going to help me?

Its possible my card just sucks, and I'll have to buy a CycloDS Evolution (the best I can see from my brief research) but I'd appreciate any advice towards salvaging this card if it's possible.

Thanks in advice for any helpful comments.

2. iFish

Member iFish Slower than a 90s modem

Canada
    if you wanna get a flash card for you ds lite i would get edge becasue its a clone of cyclo and it works mostly just as good and you can snag it for 10 $ and it has perfect game compablity

and as for you r4i-sdhc i dont know because i dont own one why would you want a dsi card for a ds lite just get a cheap ds lite card

3. Xpytrov
    OP

Newcomer Xpytrov Newbie

United Kingdom
    Got the R4i for a really good deal actually, as I said- Just thought I was getting the new R4 (durrrrrr.)

With further searching it seems Order of Ecclesia has a tendency to corrupt in Dracula's castle. What a freaking pain. Oh well.

One other queststion to anyone else who uses this card - Should I use the R4 or R4i kernel from this download site? As I'm using it on a Lite, would the simple R4 be sufficient / more suitable?

4. iFish

Member iFish Slower than a 90s modem

Canada
    maybe try both? but if your using the r4i i would use the r4i kernal

5. Leonidas

Member Leonidas GBAtemp Fan

Slovenia
    Are you sure the save file is actually gone? From what I recall the latest R4i SDHC kernel has multiple save slots as an option. Maybe you have accidentally used an empty save slot. I don't recall any save corruption issus with OOE on my R4 sdhc. If it's a known issue then I'm really glad it didn't happen.